“Greate place for vacation in Beijing”
Review of Michael's House

Michael's House
Ranked #45 of 6,599 Hotels in Beijing
Reviewed 16 August 2011

Michael's house is great place. If you wanna see real Chinese streets, this is perfect choise. Dirty streets with locals and amazing accomodation. When you open door from Michael's house is like different world. Friendly receptionists which speak english and aircondition.:) Only 10 min walk to subway where is shopping centre. Just be carefull with food on the street.

Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Klara K

Reviewed 10 August 2011

Walking into Michael's House was like walking into a 4 Star Spa that you never want to leave & then getting to stay there. The lobby area/courtyard is gorgeous and lush as well as comfortable and inviting. It was a joy to relax there and to visit with other guests. The staff were amazingly helpful and friendly.

You won't be disappointed if you choose this wonderful B&B for your stay in Beijing.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 8 August 2011

Stayed with my family for 4 nights.Everything said about Michaels-House is correct.
Clean rooms,friendly service.Unfortunately for us the location was terrible.As five we had alot of difficulty finding two cabs.You just can't get a taxi in Beijing during rush hours and heavy rain.There is the underground option but try walking in Beijing for 15 minutes on a busy street in summer.Unbearable.We also didn't find the eating options great in the neighbourhood.

Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 July 2011

Our stay in Michael's House in Beijing was a fantastic experience. Initially, it was a little difficult to find the place, but once we did, it was clear that we had made a great decision. The property in a lane and like a typical Chinese house, which has been converted into a hotel.

The staff were very friendly and spoke fluent English. They were extremely helpful in arranging a car and guide for sight-seeing in Bejing and recommending restaurants near the hotel.

Breakfast was the only meal we ate in the hotel and it was a good breakfast. There was a mix of Western and some Chinese dumplings that were served.

Though we did not use the subway, but the nearest subway station is about a 10 minute walk from the hotel.

I would certainly recommend the hotel if you want to experience living in a Chinese house and with the benefits of a hotel. The rooms, bathroom and the linen were clean and the bed was very comfortable.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 July 2011

My husband and I stayed here during our time in Beijing. We had a king sized bed which was comfortable and the A/C was great since you need it in China! This is more like a bed abd breakfast than a hotel since there are just 10 rooms that surround the reception area(resembling a courtyard). It is a nice respite to step into after the hectic streets of Beijing.
There are several woman that work the reception desk and all are great and have a good grasp of English language.
The breakfast is not very extensive however, good and they don't start taking it away if it's past 9:30AM. One morning I was putting the remaining watermelon on my plate when another hotel guest walked up and plucked the last one with her hand. I was not happy but didnt say anything. It goes to show how attentive the reception was because she must have noticed - despite the fact it was 9:35AM she came back with a bowl of cut watermelon just for me.

There are free toothbrush and toothpaste provided along with comb, hair dryer, robe and slippers.

You can also have pizza delivered from pizza hut to the hotel if you are feeling like staying in. You can just ask the recption to pull up the menu for you and then she'll call to order.

I did not explore the food locally because the hygene/sanitation just didnt look good to me so this was a great option after a long tiring day.

You can purchase cold beverages (beer/soda/water) from the reception and it is not too pricey (6 RMB for each) you can charge to your room or pay by cash.

The Metro station although in walking distance isnt extremely close, on hot long days it feels like way too long of a walk. It's about a 15 min walk. The stop is called Jishuitan and is on Line 2.

My only cons to this hotel was that the TV satellite didnt work for most of my stay. We pointed it out but it was never properly fixed. Also when you ask reception to call you a cab quite often one won't come there probably because of the narrow alley. Best bet is to just walk to the main road and flag one down. Also the wifi is a bit slow so if you are using skype to make calls as I was the network speed is too slow.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 July 2011

We chose Michael’s House in Beijing for our four-day, three-night stay after reading the positive comments on Trip Advisor. We were looking for a reasonably priced, hutong-style accommodation that would be easily accessible to the main attractions of the city.

The hotel is located in a narrow alley, which at first seems a bit intimidating. However, there are small, good Chinese restaurants and shopping areas close by as well as easy access to the subway system. Taxis are available at the end of the street.

Walking into the hotel from the bustling city life is a welcome respite. The hotel is quiet and serene. The staff is most welcoming and unbelievably helpful with everything from tours, maps, dinner suggestions, shopping and transportation. Sally even gave us a portfolio for our paperwork, which we used for the remainder of our three-month trip!! What warm, caring people! Their knowledge of English makes everything so easy.

Our double suite room was comfortable, spacious and clean with a very comfortable bed. It was so relaxing to have a couch, TV and desk (with free wifi) to return to at the end of each very busy day.

We would highly recommend Michael’s House to anyone who is looking for a true hutong experience with all the modern amenities.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 July 2011

Can't praise enough the woman who was on reception when I arrived. I am gluten intollerant and not only did she arrange gluten free breakfasts for me, she also wrote in chinese all I needed to show a restaurant what I could and could not eat. A few days later she was training a new member of staff who was also excelent with me.
I loved the room I had for the first 5 nights I was there - it felt really chinese with a raised sleeping platform, big matress on the floor and a little table. The phones are quaint. I had to walk across the main reception area to the showers and loos. That was fine by me. When I returned for a final night I was in a different en suite room. Nice to have en suite, but not quaint and chinese as my first room. I noticed on my second stay that the woman in my old room walked through the main area in a white dressing gown. I did not have this and would have appreciated if I had.
I asked for a particular sweat rice dish of a morning as I liked that better than teh rice porridge and was really pleased that I got it then every morning.
The place was nice and clean.
I got caught in a big thunderstorm and got back into the hotel soaked. The staff I really liked where on at the desk and got me to change and got my wet clothes washed straight away. What service. They could not have been more helpful.
Staff also told me who to get to places I wanted to go and gave good suggestions of places to eat.
My only suggestions would be that receptionist staff actively show guests the information they hold at the desk in respect of places to go eg the bar down town, as it was not at the display place where the brochures are. Also that they tell guest about Sunday mornings in teh park of Heaven. I would have loved to have seen that, but knew about it too late.
I had a massage - would not recommend. Young lad, very rough.
Tha ambience at Michael's House has to to experienced to be believed. Far better than the photos. thanks so much to all.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled solo