“Hidden gem”
Review of Kellys Courtyard

Kellys Courtyard
Ranked #59 of 6,527 Hotels in Beijing
Reviewed 17 November 2011

I hope this review will help ease your search for a place to stay in Beijing. Kelly’s courtyard is a very nice, clean and well run establishment. The staff is wonderful, and the concierge (Bob) is awesome. He is extremely helpful and will guide you to any place you want to go from setting up trips to directing you to the correct bus or subway station. I had the traveller’s blues when I got to Beijing after a crook taxi driver with a rigged meter and a fake receipt left me 250 RMB short and a block off of my stop. Bob’s hospitality and sincerity allowed me to relax and put my guards down. The entire neighbourhood is actually very safe.
The courtyard is very cozy and beautifully decorated. The rooms are also nicely decorated and very clean. There is hot water on demand and the breakfast is absolutely great, with fruits, juice, yogurt, etc.. There is no meat served for breakfast which is more ideal for most types of people, unless you love bacon and sausages. Excellent coffee and tea, with soft music in the background is the perfect start to your day. The guests I saw at the hotel were quiet and friendly, conforming to the atmosphere of the place. The rooms have very unique and traditional handmade wooden doors and a curtain draped behind it. There is a quiet lounge upstairs with a mix of trendy and old style décor. You can access the patio from the lounge where you can watch the rooftops of the hutong.
All Bob’s recommendations from the decently priced duck restaurant or the 2 RMB subway ride to the summer palace were well received. He even gave me his number to call in case I needed help. If you need any trip bookings for trains or even getting a taxi it is probably best to do it through him.
I would highly recommend this place and I look forward to coming back here again. Having been in China for nearly two months and having seen many different hotels and inns I can say that I am glad I left the booking arrangements to my wife for my stay in Beijing.
By the way, Bob located the taxi company from the driver’s permit number that I had taken down and he filed a complaint. I was able to get the overcharge reimbursed.

Room Tip: there are only 9 rooms. Some with two beds and others queen size.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank SakoM
There are newer reviews for Kellys Courtyard

Reviewed 31 October 2011

My third time visits to BJ and first time stayed with Kellys Courtyard at end of September. The experience overall was very pleasant. The room was clean and peaceful. Most of all, Sandy was very helpful and that added marks to this Hotel. I will return with friends in 2012 for sure!

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank Anson B
Reviewed 29 September 2011

We stayed in Kelly´s Courtyard 3 days for a short break after we made a week trip by rail from Moscow to Beijing. Hotel is conveniently located in a short distance from all central tourist destinations, like Forbidden City etc. All the infrastructure in the area is perfect. We were using the year 2008 subway map, so we missed that there are more subway lines close to hotel, but later it was extremely easy to take a short walk from Xisi metro station to the hotel or take the bus number 22 from the Tiananmen square.
Place itself is located in a little bit hidden small alley. If you are coming from Xisi street and walk along the Bingmasi Hutong, take a second alley on the right, walk 50 metres, turn left and you will see the Fish Inn sign - walk along this small alley 30-40 metres and on the left you will see the Kelly´s Courtyard outer door.
Place itself is an extremely calm - we enjoyed the ambience and laziness. Sandy, the receptionist, is the master and the soul of this place. He is very helpful, positive and has a lot insider info about Beijing and it´s area. Room was middle-sized, bath were nice, and, once again, ambience was the greatest. Very basic breakfast is a small positive thing during the whole stay. Roof terrace is amazing in the evening - despite you are in the middle of Beijing, it is really calm and relaxing place. I would definitely recommend this place for couples and people, travelling in a group. Big no no place for people with children.

Room Tip: room number 5 is especially chic
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 25 September 2011

After a 14 hour bumpy flight to China and a crazy hour long cab ride into downtown Beijing, I was exhausted and questioning my reasons for coming to China. I walked into Kelly's Courtyard and immediately relaxed; the place is so beautiful and tranquil. I loved loved loved the courtyard with quiet relaxing music and beautiful furniture. I corresponded with them extensively prior to my arrival, as I needed some assistance with my travel plans after Beijing, and they were very helpful. Staff was always very nice and helpful, even the ones who didn't speak English. Breakfast was very basic, but tasty and sufficient, and most importantly, coffee was tasty! Location is good: close to banks, subway, 24H convenience store, but the hutong itself is very very narrow, so if you're arriving in a car, it might not be able to make that last turn, and you might need to walk the very last part (I though I was lost when I arrived but friendly neighbors showed me the way, and instructed the cab driver). The only thing I had a problem with was the tricky shower, I could never exactly figure out how to get hot water to run. Also, the hotel is VERY clean. All rooms face the courtyard which might be potentially noisy, but it never was. And let me say this again: the furniture is beautiful! I highly recommend this place.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 September 2011

If you are going to spend sometime in Beijing Kelly's courtyard is perfect, the room is big enough to be confortable, the shower room is small but works and is clean. Breakfast is pretty basic for the price but adequate. Since all the rooms are facing the center courtyard it may get noisy if you are unlucky enough to have a large group (french in my case) staying at the same time as you but everyone gets up at about the same time so it does not really matter. If you come back during the day you have the place pretty much for yourself, a cool beer on the terrace and a good book and the place is peaceful paradise. Sandy is helpfull and speaks excellent english, so does Anna although she can be a little on the impolite side...On the whole I recommend this hotel in the Hutong, it is a nicer and a more authentic experience then the big ugly modern hotels. blocks.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank aidevoyage
Reviewed 17 August 2011

I want to like this place but I may think twice about returning . The rooms, the courtyard, the roof (basically the entire property) is beautiful. We enjoyed chilling out at the rooftop at night. The area and neighborhood that the hutong is situated in is peaceful and pretty quiet. The hutong is near Xitan - a terrific area for shopping.

The considerations - we had two rooms, both clean and beautiful but both water in the shower is either scaling hot or icy cold. It was very difficult to adjust to warm water and even if we manage to get it right, the warm water flows for a minute and return to either scaling hot or very cold. Young couples like myself and my partner could have stand it but it's not acceptable for elderly or children. Another consideration would be the location as it is not exactly near the subway station which is handy for sightseeing in Beijing. Taxis are cheap but difficult and nearly impossible to get at certain hours.

One other small issue - Both bathrooms we had have overhead showers which I like, no handheld shower but there are no shower caps available if you want to keep your hair dry. This could be easily resolved if known in advance (just bring your own).

Overall I think I'll recommend this to young couples as the place is beautiful but not to family elderly and children.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank hagan_dazz
Reviewed 31 July 2011

We have a lot of fun staying at Kelly's Courtyard. I think the biggest selling point for us is Sandy, who was really helpful. She speaks very good English and was able to tell us where to go and eat. What I love about it is that I feel like I am actually staying with a relative in Beijing and get to do somethings that is not completely tourist related. Another great thing is that Sandy and her co-worker live on-site so you have access to them 24/7.

Location: The hostel is pretty centrally located. It is close to two train stations and also near many bus lines. China has one of the cheapest public transportation, so we really glad to be able to take advantage of it. Although my husband and I often stay out late, we always feel safe walking around the area. There isn't much going on at night, for that you have to hop on a cab to the nearby night spot.

Note: the hostel is located inside a maze of small streets, called Hutong. Most taxi drivers have hard time finding the place. I would highly recommend that you print out the hotel's map (provide on their website) to help you navigate. Please note the car cannot drive all the way to the front of the hostel so be prepare to walk at least a few blocks.

Cost: I found the price of the stay to be reasonable. It is cheaper than the chain hotels but a bit more expensive from the low-end hostels. But I feel that I do receive good value for our stay, with English speaking guides, clean rooms and safe atmosphere. I would not purchase any service they sell through the hotel because they are extremely over priced. They offered a car service pick-up from the airport at 250 when on our own it only cost us 110. I think that is the case no matter were you go in China, if they know you are tourist, they tend to jack up the price. :(

Room: The room is a bit small (I don't really have enough space to layout my luggage except on the bed), but that is to be expected, you are staying in an old traditional building. The bed is a little bit hard, but still overall it is very comfortable. You do have your own bathroom. The AC is in good shape and quickly cool down the room, which I found to be extremely important during the hot summer day in Beijing. Because all the rooms face the courtyard, you do not have as much privacy as traditional hotel rooms.

Breakfast: Okay, it is nothing to write home about. Just basic toast, fruit, yogurt and juice. My husband loves the toast because they cut it thicker than the ones back in the State. We love the courtyard and really enjoy eating our breakfast there. I read someone complain about the juice to be watery, that is how they have it in China, because when we purchase juice from other places, they also come out watery. I didn't have to pay extra for my tea bags or coffee. They do have a cooler that sells some basic drinks such as beer, water, and soda. The water cost 3 and normally it cost about 2. It was so insignificant, we normally just purchase their water so we can have them cold and we do not have to carry more than what we need.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple