Having done a lot of research on what hostel to choose, and being on tight budget, I chose the Drum tower hostel and man! I am so thankful I did.
Checked website online, checked prices(really affordable), liked the look of it, read some reviews and I decided I'd give them a call and ask them where they are exactly at and if they actually have rooms free, because many conflicting websites showed different availability. So I was in for a pleasant surprise because they actually made the booking for me on the phone! Reached beijing at around 6 am, called up the hostel and they happily gave me directions and it is REALLY easy to find. Very close to the metro station, right next to the drum tower and bell tower, walking distance to the Huahai bar street, I completely loved the location.
Next up the interiors, the lobby area is very lounge like and with a very calm and relaxed type of atmosphere. We had a triple room ensuite and it was clean and had all the necessary knick knacks. I couldn't find anything to complain about. There's a rooftop where you can sit and chill out and adore the awesome view of the bell and drum tower and at all the local chinese activiies going on around you. I heard that they are starting a bar and barbeque on the rooftop, if that happens, there's no reason why anyone should give this hostel a miss. The room cost us 200 rmb a night, the dorms were much cheaper but I dont think they were available when we were there.
Brian and the others at the desk are really helpful, and you could call em up in the middle of the night to ask them where to go at that hour and how to get there. I had a fantastic experience here and I would return there without a doubt.
1) Linen included
3) Soap, Toothbrushes, Paste, and other toiletries
4) English speaking staff
5) Tour arrangements
6) TV, Kettle, AC, Ample charge points
7) Clean bathrooms
8) Excellent Location
9) Total value for money
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- THE DRUM - Specialist Capsule Hostel & Hotel All dorm beds are private capsules. Private rooms are 3 star hotel grade. Just 200 meters from subway lines 2 & 8, & Drum Tower. Great tours & very sociable pizza cafe/bar... The Drum "Hot-stel" combines hotel accommodation with new-concept dorm room design.Free wireless/wifi internet is available throughout and the entire hotel has central heating along with air-conditioning. * All private rooms newly renovated with secure key-card access, flatscreen TV, western toilet and 24 hour hot water shower. * All dorm rooms have been upgraded into separate V.I.P. capsule bunk beds with secure keycard access doors, offering complete privacy to every dorm guest * Ensuite single capsule-rooms available (1.7m height, 3-4m wide - with attached toilet & shower).Beijing's best option for those just looking for a cheap private space with washroom facilities. * Don't miss the rooftop viewing deck, with unbeatable views of the Drum & Bell Towers, or consider booking a spacious roof-garden room. * Relax in the comfortable lounge area on one the ikea sofas or Korean/Japanese-style tea rooms. (* The onsite sports cafe/bar provides a great meeting place for guests, offering a hearty selection of western cuisine, fresh coffee, draft beer and cocktails.) * Great Wall of China tours and more can be easily booked through reception. Reception also arranges ticket booking and laundry facilities. * Excellent location, just 200 meters from 2 major subway lines. Easy access to Tiananmen Square, Forbidden City, Temple of Heaven, Summer Palace, Lama Temple, Silk Market, Olympic area, Embassy area, all major train stations, the airport and more.Beijing will be your oyster with the free Beijing subway & sites map. Bicycle rental available. * Locally, banks/ATMS, post office, 24 shop, pharmacy etc are all just a short walk away. Stroll down to the nearby historical Drum & Bell Towers, and explore the ancient hutong quarter around the picturesque houhai lake, lively both day and night. * The Drum "Hot-stel" welcomes all. For more information please read below and see the photograph section. You can also contact us direct: drumtower.nihao (gmail). ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Agoda, HostelWorld, Hotels.com, Odigeo, Priceline and Ebookers so you can book your Beijing Drum Tower Youth Hostel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.