Beijing Drum Tower Youth Hostel
US$259
US$193
Orbitz.com
Excellent 5/5
All reviewsexit gatecapsule roomsexcellent chinese restaurantmetro station on linegreat locationlimited englishwestern fooddormchinamcdonaldsvpntwinlanguageinternet
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 6 November 2010

I had stayed at the hotel a few years ago and loved it. Unfortunately, something has happened. The 4 public computers were down to 2, and often they were not working or occupied. The room no longer supplied soap, toothpaste, toothbrushes, etc. Had to ask for more tp. Noisier than before. The wonderful roof area is no longer for the public, except to hang wash to dry. Our bathroom locked us out, so we could not enter the empty room. The staff was quite helpful on each occasion, but there should not have been so many problems. There were no hooks to hang clothing. The location is excellent, but the hotel was in much better shape 2 years ago.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank Hugh M
Reviewed 16 September 2010

I found the hotel location is near to Beijing Metro Station.
But the budget room is in the basement, no window, low roof but quite big bed for one person. The hotel give free internet access at the loby and the provide two computer for public use (if U don't bring your own computer).
The food at the hotel is self service, not too bad but not delicious either.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 7 September 2010

Horrible odor of tobacco everywhere ! This place nobody even understand what "no smoking" mean. And more musty smell in the room. I arrived late night so I stayed 1 night. I asked for better room, they just don't mind, I ran away.
Also WiFi don't really work even at the lobby , slow or nothing.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled solo
Reviewed 16 July 2010

We ended up here after the Forbidden City Hostel botched our reservation. The room was right beside the front desk/lobby area so it was a little noisy, though totally understandable and not too bothersome. The room was clean but a little chilly even without the AC on. The bed was HARD as rock but we noticed this is sort of a China thing. Great service at the front desk with assistance in booking tours and giving us tips as to what to see and where to eat in Beijing. Great location, close to the subway and to a wide array of restaurants and convenience stores as well as one of the "hutongs" in Beijing.
Their computers suck though, they keep dropping the internet connection, so if you expect to communicate with someone via email bring a laptop/ipod or anything to avoid using their computers.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 July 2010

Having done a lot of research on what hostel to choose, and being on tight budget, I chose the Drum tower hostel and man! I am so thankful I did.

Checked website online, checked prices(really affordable), liked the look of it, read some reviews and I decided I'd give them a call and ask them where they are exactly at and if they actually have rooms free, because many conflicting websites showed different availability. So I was in for a pleasant surprise because they actually made the booking for me on the phone! Reached beijing at around 6 am, called up the hostel and they happily gave me directions and it is REALLY easy to find. Very close to the metro station, right next to the drum tower and bell tower, walking distance to the Huahai bar street, I completely loved the location.

Next up the interiors, the lobby area is very lounge like and with a very calm and relaxed type of atmosphere. We had a triple room ensuite and it was clean and had all the necessary knick knacks. I couldn't find anything to complain about. There's a rooftop where you can sit and chill out and adore the awesome view of the bell and drum tower and at all the local chinese activiies going on around you. I heard that they are starting a bar and barbeque on the rooftop, if that happens, there's no reason why anyone should give this hostel a miss. The room cost us 200 rmb a night, the dorms were much cheaper but I dont think they were available when we were there.

Brian and the others at the desk are really helpful, and you could call em up in the middle of the night to ask them where to go at that hour and how to get there. I had a fantastic experience here and I would return there without a doubt.

Details: