“cheap sleep, but . . .”

Ranked #3,330 of 6,449 Hotels in Beijing
Florida
“cheap sleep, but . . .”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 September 2010

From the rattletrap van that picks you up to the filthy, stained, worn-out carpeted, this is one tired property. That said, the free shuttle service is fast and reliable, the rooms fairly clean and serviceable, and reception friendly. Some rooms have internet connection (ask if you want one). Local restaurants and shops nearby. Very close to airport. Bottom line: if you have a late night arrival and early morning departure, this is a good choice for some bargain shut-eye; a stay of longer duration would be too depressing.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank sr.rb

Families
Couples
Redmond, Washington
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2010

I had a 9-hour overnight layover in Beijing (landed 10:45 PM; departed next morning 7:45 AM). Not wanting to invest in the cost and hassle of going to a hotel for such a short stay, I had planned to get a room in the airport transit lounge, which does not accept reservations but I was assured that "rooms are almost always available". Well, guess what, no rooms available. So, long story short, I ended up at this place at a rate of 380 RMB. I was not expecting much for that price, and indeed I got not much.

Some observations about the beautiful "Capital Airportt Hanglu Hotel:
1. Some guests were checking out at the time I was checking in, at about midnight. That tells you something about how this hotel is utilized.
2. Lobby was unheated (and temperature outside was in the teens; temperature in the lobby was probably in the 30s); I felt sorry for the lady working the front desk.
3. Bed had a sheet over the mattress, but no top sheet . . . just a comforter, which is kind of gross especially in light of my comment #1.
4. No toiletries (e.g., soap, shampoo) were provided . . . luckily I found an old hotel soap in a remote compartment of my luggage.
5. No standard toilet paper . . .just a short pile of a few pieces of what you might call small paper towels.
6. Carpeting in the corridors was absolutely filthy; not just a little dirty, I mean it looked like motorcycles had driven on it after having driven through the mud.
7. Most of the channels had a "scratchy" reception that rendered them unwatchable. And no English channels.
8. Room entry was by an old fashioned metal key, not a key card.
9. No such thing as a nonsmoking room.
10. No credit cards accepted, only cash.
11. Room lighting was very dim.
12. Room fixtures and furniture were pretty sad.

In the interest of not being entirely negative, I'll say this:
1. I appreciated the complimentary transportation to and from the airport, including early service (5:30 AM) from the hotel to the airport, though several guests were on the 5:30 AM shuttle, resulting in the van ride being something like a clown car with all the people and luggage packed in.
2. The room did have a drinking water dispenser that provided both hot and cold water.
3. The room was marginally heated, though I borrowed the comforter from the second bed in order to stay warm.
4. I was actually able to get a little sleep.
5. The front desk gave me a wake up call as planned at 5 A.M. (I was not relying on it, so I had used the alarm feature on my Blackberry).
6. The sheet that covered the mattress did actually seem clean. I suppose I could have borrowed the mattress sheet from the second bed to use as a top sheet.
7. Location close to airport was convenient.
8. At least the toilet was a western style one, not one of those Asian squatters.

I guess all I am just thankful that my stay was only about 5-1/2 hours in duration, while I was in a jet-lagged daze, and it was over shortly after it started and then I continued on my otherwise very enjoyable Chinese New Year vacation.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled solo

Travellers are raving about these Beijing hotels