“Great value, lovely rooms”
Review of Fairmont Beijing

Fairmont Beijing
Ranked #16 of 6,568 Hotels in Beijing
Reviewed 26 November 2011

This hotel features extremely comfortable rooms and a high level of service. Convenient location, as well. You can walk to shopping and enjoy sites easily from the hotel. Dining is good- we had lunch and dinner at the hotel- everything was high standards.
Overall a strong choice in Beijing.

• Stayed: November 2011
Write a ReviewReviews (1,549)

Reviewed 25 November 2011

I highly recommend Fairmont Beijing for their quality of service and the friendly, can do attitude of their staff. The rooms are also very comfortable.

They still have room for improvement though. Their internet speed needs much improvement, the manage has assured me that this is under way. Their restaurant menu is the most confusing I have seen, in terms of layout and format. The food however is good.

Overall I highly recommend this hotel and in fact shall visit them again in about 10days time.

Room Tip: The Fairmont Gold floors, especially if you have meetings, is excellent value and worth spending the...
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 24 November 2011

I thoroughly enjoyed my four-night stay at the Fairmont Beijing, now one of the best hotels I've stayed at in China so far for work (the other being the Le Meredien Qingdao, see my other review).

What made my experience a great one was the exceptionally high service standards and high product quality all round. Nearly all of the staff I encountered, be it at the reception and concierge, or at the gym and the restaurants, were highly meticulous and polite, and showed great attention to detail and customers' individual needs. Thanks to Daniel and his team for the great service at breakfast at the Lunar 8.

The room was also immaculate: Very spacious but cosy, simple and intuitive press-button lighting controls (the night light was set to just the _perfect_ level of dimness without me having to walk to the bathroom to fiddle with switches), superb Bose iPhone docking speaker, and a bathroom equipped with a separate toilet (Japanese toilet bowl with controls to wash your nether areas and seat warmer) and shower stall (Hansgrohe shower head – I forgot which model but would appreciate it if the management could tell me in a reply!). I would model my dream home after it.

Some minor minuses: I found the pillows and bed too soft for my liking, and there didn't seem to be a choice of pillow types from reading the service menu in the room. The housekeeping staff also didn’t notice the side of the bed I slept in and kept flipping the duvet on wrong side for the turndown service.

Also, as the hotel isn't located along a main road, it was slightly difficult to get a taxi during the early morning or at night, but the hotel staff was helpful in trying to flag one down. The concierge also charges a CNY 100 commission for booking a train ticket (per ticket), compared with CNY 5 at the Sheraton Great Wall, which is just daylight robbery.

The Cut restaurant deserves mention for its delicious food, great service and ambience. My travel companions and I liked it so much that we went there for dinner two nights in a row. I’m not usually a steak fan but tried it anyway and didn’t regret it. The Barramundi was so so, same for the scallop and prawn main dish (not succulent enough). For appetizers, try the beef tartare and the seafood bisque. The presentation is exquisite, as is the taste. You’ll also be pampered with an amuse bouche in between each course and the Chef Marcus Routbard would come to check if things are all right. This all comes with a price, however, so be prepared to fork out about CNY 800 per head, including a glass of the housepour. The Chilean Cabernet Sauvignon was good.

The Fairmont probably doesn’t come to mind as the first hotel to book if you’re a member of other chains, but if you don’t care for such perks, then I’d highly recommend choosing it as your retreat after meetings and work in bustling Beijing.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
5  Thank roverkt
FairmontBeijing, Manager at Fairmont Beijing, responded to this reviewResponded 3 December 2011

Thank you for taking the time to review the Fairmont Beijing following your recent stay. I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay and rated us highly.

I was especially pleased to read how Daniel and his team took good care of you in Lunar 8 and Marcus in The Cut.

Thank you for the feedback on our guest rooms and your preference for a softer pillow and mattress, which we can provide on a future stay. With regards to the HansGrohe shower head, the model details are, DC design silver shower head H28100+281.

Finally, we will review our commission for airline tickets and ensure we are competitive with the other hotels in Beijing.

Once again, thank you for the positive feedback and we do hope to welcome you back in the not too distant future.

Resident Manager

Reviewed 23 November 2011

Whilst it took the front desk 2 hours to check me in (it was after 2pm, so really no excuse), the staff were friendly and provided me with free beverages, wifi access, and an upgrade.

The gym seemed very small, but perhaps it was being renovated as there appeared to be construction noise on that floor.

Rooms were very nice.

Make sure you have exact instructions/map to hotel. It was difficult to explain it to taxi drivers as the hotel is either too new or not well known.

• Stayed: October 2011
FairmontBeijing, Manager at Fairmont Beijing, responded to this reviewResponded 27 November 2011

Thank you for taking the time to review the Fairmont Beijing following your recent stay. I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us.

Please accept my sincere apologies for your room not being ready when you arrived, however I was pleased to learn that we made amends and offered an upgrade.

With regards to the gym area, unfortunately we needed to undertake some emergency engineering work and part of the gym was closed but equipment was still available. I am pleased to report that normal service has been resumed.

Reviewed 14 November 2011

My wife and I stay at many Hotels in Australia, Asia and the UK. The Fairmont Beijing has to rate as the best city hotel we have ever stayed at. We also upgraded to Gold Class , which gave us complimentary bar and canapes, between 6 - 8 pm in the evening, in a beautiful lounge area and breakfast in the morning. The size of our room was double that of a normal hotel room ( 678 sq ft.) and was superbly furnished, with enormous bathroom and dressing room. Special thanks to the conceirge staff for their advice re shopping and tourist attractions. Yes, this Hotel is as good as all the reviews say. Congratulations to Fairmont Beijing staff and management. Well done!

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 November 2011

I stayed there for 3 nights earlier this year. The hotel is relatively new, so many taxi drivers do not know of it. It would be helpful to print a map in Chinese and show it to the cabbie.

From the moment I arrived at the hotel until I leave, I was completely mesmerized by the excellent services and the beautiful suite I had.
The spa is also solid!

I didn't try their restaurant though.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank BforBoy
FairmontBeijing, Manager at Fairmont Beijing, responded to this reviewResponded 21 November 2011

I also noted your comment with regards to local taxi drivers not being familiar with the hotel. We have just completed a taxi campaign and managed to reach more than 10,000 of the cities taxi drivers. Hope fully this will make some impact. Thank you for your idea of directions in Chinese, we do have a taxi card but we will now add an insert into every guest's key card holder with details.

Reviewed 13 November 2011

Stayed 'Gold' class at the Fairmont and it surpassed my expectations. Free bar and canapes in the evening and breakfast in the morning served by helpful staff. The Lunar8 restaurant was reasonably priced and the food was excellent. Throughout our stay the staff were welcoming and helpful. Highly recommend the transfer service from the airport to the hotel - it was the smoothest transfer I have ever had! Easy to get to the local train for sight-seeing purposes too.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank FLD81

I also noted your comment with regards to the transfer from the airport, we meet all our guests that book a hotel car at the gate of the plane and offer an escort through customs and baggage claim to your waiting vehicle. This is especially beneficial for first time visitors to Beijing.

Resident Manager