“Excellent, convenient location”
Review of Fairmont Beijing

Fairmont Beijing
Ranked #14 of 6,531 Hotels in Beijing
Reviewed 18 January 2014

I stayed at the property for three nights on a recent business trip to Beijing. The hotel is conveniently located near the Silk Street Market and Yonganli Subway Station. My room was excellent; however, I was quite annoyed with the lighting system. It was not very user-friendly to turn various lights on and off. For a luxury hotel, the lobby was underwhelming compared to other similar level hotels. The staff was friendly and helpful. Unfortunately, I will probably return back to my regular hotel nearby on future visits to Beijing.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Samuel A
Joe H, Director of Front Office at Fairmont Beijing, responded to this reviewResponded 25 January 2014

Dear Samuel A,

I'm glad you decided to try Fairmont Beijing on your last trip. I'm sorry for the inconveniences that you experienced during your stay with us. I believe we offer our guests something truly unique here at Fairmont. Aside from the friendly service we have an award winning executive lounge on the 20th floor, the longest heated lap pool in the city, a beautiful spa, and two award winning restaurants. I really hope you'll consider giving Fairmont Beijing another try upon your next trip. Please let me know if I can be of any assistance.

There are newer reviews for Fairmont Beijing

Reviewed 6 January 2014

Service was superb. The lounge service was superb. They even remembered our likings. Food at Lunar 8 was great. I screwed up on our checked-in date, I phoned and emailed the hotel. Language was a challenge but in the end they handled it superbly. Transfer from airport to hotel and vice versa was great too.
All in all everything was really good. Some minor niggles- the toilet flush presented us with a couple of call outs which the hotel handled well. The heating in the rooms are too hotel. Hot water is not hot enough. And the language challenge even in the hotel.
Overall, great hotel, great stay

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank PrimroseHill219
Joe H, Director of Front Office at Fairmont Beijing, responded to this reviewResponded 9 January 2014

Dear PrimroseHill219,

Thank you for a great review. I'm really glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you very much for your compliments on our service, after all, that's what we're here to provide. I hope that you'll visit us in Beijing again, soon!

Reviewed 31 December 2013

upgrade to gold junior suite room. Big and extraordinary room. They offer free extra bed as we require twin bed instead of king bed. The water pressure in the top head shower is not quite strong enough. The evening lounge selection had a great selection. View is nice. Minor points are no newspaper in the room every morning and we had a difficulty communication to some of the concierge as they do not speak English quite well. Taxi is hard to find and takes a long time to find. But, it is close to the nearest subway.

Room Tip: Upgrade to Gold Room for 400RMB/night
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank vip282
Joe H, Director of Front Office at Fairmont Beijing, responded to this reviewResponded 5 January 2014

Dear vip282,

I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed the gold junior suite and extra bed. You're right, the view from our hotel is marvellous, especially at night. We offer a variety of both English and Chinese newspapers but to as part of our effort to be environmentally friendly we only offer them to guests upon their request. I truly hope you enjoyed your time in Beijing and hope that you'll stay with us again. soon!

Reviewed 29 December 2013

I stayed for x nights in Nov/ Dec and overall I am satisfied with my stay there. However, I must admit that I was disappointed in the beginning as I smelled cigarette every now and then during the night even though I asked for non-smoking room. At 6th night I called the housekeeping to clean the room as I discovered cigarette ashes next to the sofa…I was stunned. The cleaner report it to the duty manager who then told me I was on a smoking floor which made me really annoyed. He was apologetic and explained that there was no non-smoking room available at the time I check in, I was more upset as to why this isn’t explained upon my arrival. Nonetheless, the duty manager arranged for me to transfer to a non-smoking room within 10 mins so I felt better.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Shirlzzzzz

Dear ShirlzH,

Thank you for your review. I'm very sorry to hear about your experience with us regrading the cigarette smell. I sincerely hope that the rest of your stay with us in our non-smoking room was to your satisfactory. I hope to have you with us again at Fairmont Beijing.

Reviewed 18 December 2013

Myself and 5 friends traveled from Guangzhou to beijing and then from beijing to harbin then back to Guangzhou. While in beijing we stayed here. My first impression of the hotel was "wow this is fabulous" but that changed when we came to check in and then started having little nagging problems. Firstly they checked us in and asked for our deposits. But really nothing more than that. It seems wherever we stay, because I travel with a lot of people, they just don't care to ask us anything else and not offer us help with our bags. We were left to take our bags to our rooms by ourselves. When we arrived in our room we discovered the wifi was not working... A call to the reception.. Revealed that "at this time you cannot have wifi in your location" "please come down to the 1st floor and use the wifi" I was tired, and didn't want to but I did anyway. I had to call my mom and dad. After my phone call I walked by one of the concierge and smiled at him only to have him not smile back and turn away from my smile. What the heck? I was just being kind. That set me kind of in a worse mood! I returned to my room where me and my boyfriend laid down and eventually fell asleep with the tv on. I woke up the next morning and we went down to the breakfast, all five of us, it was great and made me like the hotel a lot more. I am here to tell you, the continental breakfast here is wonderful. They have everything! And the taste is fresh and delicious. The staff seemed a lot more happy to have our presence in the morning too, they were very attentive to us and even asked us several times if the coffee and other beverages were good. My mood changed when I went to the front desk reception to ask where we could go shopping. They didn't smile, again, and they did not give us many suggestions. Just saying.... "Um.... The silk market is close" "you can go there" we ended up searching online. Turns out the hotel was pretty badly located with not much shopping choices. We were told by a concierge to talk to "Joe Hoe" and he would help us but upon asking for him we were told he was too busy. We never met this English expert named joe hoe, though he seems to like to reply to reviews here on this tripadvisor website. Maybe he will see mine and reply. This is my review and I have been totally honest. From one to ten I have to give this hotel a 6 1/2. I hope next time my experience here is better. If not i won't ever come back.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Rachel_in_china
Joe H, Director, Front Office Operations at Fairmont Beijing, responded to this reviewResponded 5 January 2014

Dear Rachel_in_China,
Happy New Year and Thank You for sharing your experience with us. I truly wish we had the opportunity to meet during your stay at Fairmont Beijing. I would have been more than happy to guide you through the Silk Market and recommend places to shop as there are plenty of options near our hotel including China World Mall, The Place, Silk Market, SOHO, and other boutique stores surrounding the area. It is disappointing to see that your stay did not meet your expectations. I want to apologize for your overall experience with your wifi and response from reception. This is valuable feedback we can use to enhance the guest experience but truly a poor reflection of our service standards. I kindly ask that you send me a message prior to your next visit so I can ensure your next stay is flawless in all areas. Again, thank you for staying with us at Fairmont Beijing and I look forward to personally meeting you on your next visit.

Reviewed 10 December 2013

Good place to stay, conveniently located near the famous SILK STREET Shopper's paradise... Very closely located to the Forbidden City & Tiananmen Square... Nice and clean, Breakfast has lots of options. We were entertained very well even when we arrived @ 2 am in the morning...

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank SumanGupta
Joe H, Director of Front Office at Fairmont Beijing, responded to this reviewResponded 15 December 2013

Dear SumanGupta,

Thank you for the great review and the photos! Thank you for the compliment on our service. It's what we're here to provide, regardless of what time you arrive. I'm very glad to hear that you enjoyed shopping at Silk Street Market and touring the Forbidden City & Tiananmen Square. I hope that you'll stay with us again.

Reviewed 5 December 2013

Good place to stay, the only inconvenience is it is not close to shopings, the only close market is the silk street market which is 10 min walk. Nice and clean, the continental breakfast is good. Try to exchange curency at the hotel reception at 608 better than on the market for 600

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Joe H, Director of Front Office at Fairmont Beijing, responded to this reviewResponded 8 December 2013

Dear Walid C,

Thank you for your review of Fairmont Beijing. I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. I'm sorry to hear that you found the proximity to shopping centers inconvenient. Within a 15 minute walking distance is the Silk Market as well as YinTai Shopping mall, and Guomao shopping malls. I hope our concierge will be able to give you a detailed description of all the places you wish you visit upon your next trip to Beijing. Hope to see you again, soon!