“Okay but not impressed”

Ranked #14 of 6,522 Hotels in Beijing
Hong Kong
“Okay but not impressed”
Reviewed 30 March 2014

While I take note of the comments in regards to the rooms and service overall, this review focuses on a recent dining experience and my observations in general. On my arrival, unlike most 5 star hotels, there was no one to greet the car, open door etc. Upon entering, even though it was lunch time, the place was devoid of any activity. I chose to dine in the Lobby Bar area and try the afternoon tea set (based on the savvy recommendation of the server). Service was fine, quite attentive. However, the Lobby Lounge area is a bit run down, the chairs appear well used, with numerous marks, scuffs and appeared worn and dirty. Which I found a bit off putting. The food being the afternoon tea set is fine for two persons, and well presented, however, on the sandwich side, the bread was dry and tasteless. the cakes small but okay. Not sure about the demographic or clientele of this hotel, however, I was only one of three party's seated. the other two consisted of a canoodling couple and another couple that felt it was perfectly fine to take out nail clippers and proceed to clip, clip away at their nails. Yuk. I was keen to leave at that point and don't think I will be back, let alone plan a stay there. While existing the Hotel, the doorman had appeared and seemed quite unhappy that I wanted a Taxi (and eventually assisted with some reluctance). Pretty much sums it up really.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank AnthonyHKHongKong
Michael G, General Manager at Fairmont Beijing, responded to this review, 23 April 2015
Dear AnthonyHKHongKong,
Thank you for your feedback and choosing our hotel as your preferred hotel during your visit to our great. I’m sorry to hear that we were not able to wow you with our service. We will follow up internally in each of the areas to ensure that future guests do not have the same experience and thank you for your feedback.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (239)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 March 2014

I recently stayed on a business trip to Beijing. The rooms are spacious and luxurious, with a good attention to details, such as a working area with a desk for a laptop and sockets to charge phones and laptops etc. The bathroom was huge, with a wet room as well as a large bath, and the bathroom even had its own TV, in addition to the one in the living room/bedroom.

The staff were fantastic - they all spoke English and did everything they could to be helpful and informative.

The only thing that spoiled the trip was the high level of pollution outside - obviously not the fault of the hotel - although the air quality inside the hotel didn't seem that good either. Presumably they filter the air, but I am not sure.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Ali186225
Joe H, Director of Front Office at Fairmont Beijing, responded to this review, 27 March 2014
Dear Ali186225,

Thank you for your review! I'm so sorry to hear that the only reason that you gave us a 4 star instead of a 5 is because of the air pollution. We were actually featured in China Daily for an article on the battle against air pollution in Beijing. We're very health conscious at the hotel and every guest room in the hotel has air purifiers that are monitors and updated on a regular basis. I hope that you'll be staying with us again on your next business trip to Beijing. Rest assured that when you're sleeping and fully relaxed in your bed that the air you're breathing is clean.
Marshall, Texas
Reviewed 24 March 2014

The Fairmont was our first stop on an 18 day tour of China, after we arrived in Beijing following a 13 hour flight. A relaxing soak in the beautiful tub, with a glass walled view into the room, eased the tension of jet lag. The toilets in the rooms are of the high end Japanese style, with no need left unmet - quite a contrast to the standard squat toilets available elsewhere in China. The breakfast in the Lunar 8 restaurant was good, fortunately, since we didn't find many culinary options within a couple of blocks of the hotel. The staff were friendly, and there were no communication problems, as it is an international hotel. The pool and spa, located in the bridge portion of the building spanning the street below, were beautiful, but we didn;t have enough free time to enjoy them as we would have liked. We would certainly stay here again when in Beijing.

Room Tip: All rooms are good rooms here.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank donnakmc
Joe H, Director of Front Office at Fairmont Beijing, responded to this review, 25 March 2014
Dear donnakmc,

I'm so glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us! As a fellow frequent traveller I must say that jet lag is amongst the worst feeling. I'm happy to hear that a relaxing bath helped ease the tension. I hope you enjoyed the rest of our 18 day tour of China. It's a beautiful county with lot of history and culture. I hope that we were able to live up to the Fairmont name and that you'll be staying with us again upon your return to Beijing.
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 22 March 2014

I feel like I'm being tough only giving this four stars, if 4.5 was an option that's what I'd give. First the positives, and the rooms are really spacious. I would certainly recommend paying the extra for a Gold Room, it got me an upgrade to a Fairmont Gold Junior Suite. Love the walk in robe and bathroom of the Junior Suite, and there is easily enough space in the main room to spread out. Another plus of this hotel is The Cut restaurant, which I found outstanding. I enjoyed breakfast in the Gold Lounge, very nice relaxed atmosphere and excellent service, but the selection, especially fruit, could be better. The location of the hotel is fine but not exactly standout - but that is more to do with Beijing than this hotel. The two most important aspects of a hotel for me, when I am on business, are the bed and the shower to make sure I am well rested and ready for the day ahead. I loved the shower here, very opulent, but I found the bed too soft, and thick plush tops aren't my preference - that is probably what made me drop the overall score from 5 to 4. A further minor point was the carpet. Very thick and nice but walking around on it in my socks I kept getting charged up and continually got little static electric shocks whenever I touched anything metal. The view is nothing special either. Expensive but no more than you'd expect for a 5 star.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Dear Richard L,

Thank you for your review on us. I appreciate you 4 star as if it were a 4.5. I'm so glad to hear that you enjoyed The CUT! It's named the best steakhouse in Beijing every year by local city guides. The static from the carpet is not year round, I promise. I hope that you'll give us another chance to make your stay perfect.
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed 17 March 2014 via mobile

Really a good option in Beijing
The hotel is located at a walking distance from the subway and the Silk Market.
The rooms are very good and the hotel offers good restaurants and all amenities.
However what was the high point of my staying was the service. The staff is well trained and always ready to help.
For sure I will return in my next trip.
I Recommend

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Joe H, Director of Front Office at Fairmont Beijing, responded to this review, 18 March 2014
Dear Rogerio N,

I'm so glad to hear that you enjoyed the service at our hotel! Our mission at every Fairmont hotel is 'to turn moments into memories' and I hope that we were able to do that for you during your stay with us. Thank you for such a great review. See you back again, soon!
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 16 March 2014

i have stayed at the is property several times in the last three years and the service is outstanding.
The steak house is a favourite of mine and I often bring my business clients to the restaurant.
Wonderful rooms and impeccable room service. My go to hotel in Beijing.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
Dear SusanEllenB,

I'm so glad to that we're a Beijing favourite of yours! We'd like to think of ourselves as your home away from home. The CUT is indeed one of the best steakhouses. It has recently won another award for its excellence and creativity from a local city guide magazine. Thank you for such a great review of Fairmont Beijing. I look forward to having you back with us again, soon!
Beijing, China
Reviewed 11 March 2014

Stayed at the Gold Junior Suite for one night, hotel staff are extremely helpful. I love our room, it was huge, love the shower area too. Went to Lunar 8 to have breakfast the next morning, restaurant staff were very polite.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Lia T
Dear Lia,

It is always a pleasure to have you at Fairmont! Thank you for such a lovely review of our hotel. I hope you took the time to enjoy some drinks during happy hour at the Gold Lounge on the 20th floor. They serve a selection of delicious Fairmont Classic cocktails every afternoon. Thank you again for the great review, and see you again soon!