“Just short of five stars” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Fairmont Beijing

Fairmont Beijing
Ranked #19 of 6,442 Hotels in Beijing
Nyon, Switzerland
“Just short of five stars”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2014

The hotel has a great location near all the sites and the subway. The plusses are:

1. Rooms are large and well laid out.
2. Nespresso machines in room.
3. Great tub and European shower.
4. Great bed.
5. Quite rooms.
6. The concierge was very helpful in arranging train tickets.
7. Great slippers.

Areas for improvement:
1. Room service was ordered for two days in a row and eggs benedict was cold both times.
2. Very slow wifi

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Brads P
Joe H, Director, Front Office Operations at Fairmont Beijing, responded to this review, 26 August 2014
Dear Brad P,
Thank you for your wonderful review and four start rating. Although a 5 star rating would have been excellent to recieve, we welcome your feedback and hope to achieve this on your next visit. Please reach out to me prior to your next visit so I can personally meet you upon arrival and ensure your stay is flawless. Again, thank you for choosing Fairmont as your preferred hotel in Beijing.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (210)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Hong Kong, China
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2014 via mobile

Tough to get taxis from the hotel and taxi drivers don't know it when you want to get back. Stay here only if you have a car booked for the day. Rooms and general ambiance were fine. Price was reasonable with the Fairmont loyalty programme special offer.

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank TCTF
Joe H, Director, Front Office Operations at Fairmont Beijing, responded to this review, 2 September 2014
Dear TCTF,
Thank you for choosing Fairmont Hotel during your visit to Beijing. We are happy to see that our rooms and general ambiance were up to your expectations. On your next visit, I highly recommend that you use our "Take me Here" cards, located at reception and concierge for our guests to be given to taxi drivers. This will help taxi drivers locate our hotel easier. The cards include our address, phone number, a map and simple translations from English to Chinese. Furthermore, please feel free to call the hotel directly so one of our Royal Service Agents can assist on your behalf. Thank you again for your review and we hope to see you soon.
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2014 via mobile

One thing that stood out from the whole stay was that service was extremely disappointing. I stayed at Fairmont Beijing for 3 nights right after 3 nights at Four Seasons Beijing because of the ratings given on trip advisor. After experiencing the service at Four Seasons, I was so disappointed in Fairmont Beijing that I said to my colleague that I was definitely going to write a review on trip advisor.

No one at the front door, absolutely no one, ever greeted me during the stay. Apart from the time I checked in and out of the hotel and once in the lift, I was totally ignored and disregarded. There was no staff at the door and if there was a staff or two, they would completely ignore me. I would look at them and nod but no, they would look away and stare somewhere else. No one ever offered to help hail a taxi - and we would walk in and out of the hotel at least twice a day.

There was once when I came back at almost midnight and I walked past the concierge desk towards the lift - the concierge heard me, looked up, and then looked down again, and continued playing with his phone. I was shocked.

It is so not worth the five star rating.

The room was alright, dated and worn though. I had trouble with connecting to the wifi, had to call reception twice before staff told me that I have to click the option where it says that it will charge me each day, but the hotel won't actually charge me.

I had a delivery - concierge did not notify me nor attempt to deliver to my room - just left it at concierge (read my review of four seasons beijing to see how they treated my deliveries to see the difference).

There's also no signs at all to where the swimming pool is on Level 21 - we went back to the room so that we could pick up the phone and ask. There's also no one telling us at check in where breakfast is, we had to call to ask.

For breakfast - we were told over the phone (as we called to ask where was breakfast) that there was only one breakfast between me and my colleague, and I was quite surprised, as an additional person at breakfast would cost us ¥250. I didn't say anything because my colleague did the booking, but when we went for breakfast, the staff at the restaurant told us there were two breakfasts allocated to my room. So either the front desk is trying to get me to fork another ¥250 each day or the restaurant is extremely generous. When we checked out, front desk asked how many breakfasts we had each day, we said two, and then they proceeded to charge us an extra ¥750 for three breakfasts. We argued that the restaurant said we had two breakfasts for our room, so in the end the charges were removed.

On the good side, it is close to the subway - you will find yourself using it as the staff won't be hailing taxis for you, and it is kinda impossible to have a taxi stop for you at the main road. It is quite close to the silk market though.

Overall, exterior is like a five star, interior is like a four star, service is one star.

Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank Natalie L
Joe H, Director, Front Office Operations at Fairmont Beijing, responded to this review, 29 August 2014
Dear Natalie L,
Thank you for your feedback and choosing Fairmont Beijing as your preferred hotel during your visit to our Great City. We are very happy you stayed with us but concerned with the service you experienced. In regards to the breakfast charge, your reservation did include only 1 complimentary breakfast per day for your 3 days. Upon checkout, the reason you were charged 3 breakfasts was because you were given 1 complimentary per day and paid for 1 each day as well (totally 3 breakfast charges). The charges were correct but due to multiple shortfalls in our service, we extended complimentary breakfast for your stay as a gesture of goodwill and compensation. We will follow up internally in each of the areas to ensure that future guests to do not have the same experience and thank you for your feedback. We wish you safe travels and hope to welcome you back to Fairmont Beijing soon.
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2014

Just left this great hotel. It's everything you would expect from a Fairmont and a little more...the staff were exceptional, I have stayed Ina lot of places but the staff here were the best I have experienced. In particular the concierge was excellent, attentive, detailed and encouraging. They really know what they are doing. Their restaurant recommendations were excellent, even when we experienced some taxi difficulties ( happened to us a few times) they worked it through for us. Rooms are excellent, location is perfect, recommend you try biking the old city Futong area with the help of Fairmont. Great experience. The pool and gym area are excellent and the restaurants in the Fairmont are worth a try. Great stay , thank you Fairmont

Room Tip: Upgrading to a Fairmont Gold room is really worth it. The food was excellent and the service excepti...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Michael R
Joe H, Director, Front Office Operations at Fairmont Beijing, responded to this review, 22 August 2014
Dear Michael R,
Thank you for taking the time to share your wonderful feedback regarding your visit to our hotel. We are flattered with your kind words and have shared your review with the concierge team, along with all the departments that turned your moments into memories. We trust that you will continue to stay with Fairmont Hotels and visit us soon! Thank you again.
Islamabad, Pakistan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2014

We stayed here for 5 nights in a Junior suite which was huge at 63 sq.m / 678 sq.ft. It had a box room too where we could keep our suitcases and belongings neatly tucked away. The bathroom was the cleanest with top class amenities. It is located just across Silk Street, and rest of the shopping centers and restaurants are also within a short distance. Sanlitun Village is within a 10-minute drive which is very short according to BJ standards. The only downside is the F&B. The food was not at par with the Fairmont name and the waitstaff at the restaurants was also not very proficient in English but what they lack in attentive F&B service is very well made up by the gracious front desk staff (who went out of their way to assist us) and the high quality rooms.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
      Location
2 Thank SaadSeeb
Joe H, Director, Front Office Operations at Fairmont Beijing, responded to this review, 11 August 2014
Dear SaaSeeb,
Thank you for your wonderful review. We are very happy that you enjoyed your 5 night stay with us at Fairmont in a lovely junior suite. I have taken note of your concerns in F&B and passed it along to our F&B Manager for further action and follow up on your kind feedback. On a positive note, we thank you for your kind words and compliments to the Font Desk team. Thank you again and we look forward to seeing you soon.
Shanghai, China
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2014

Decided to book this hotel for my anniversary and Chinese Valentines day over my normal hotel in Beijing because of all the fantastic reviews, maybe the reviews got my expectations up a little too much, but I was a little bit let down.

First off, after the painless booking process, I tried to contact the hotel in order to arrange a few things for the anniversary. It took me three tries at calling the hotel's listed number before I even got someone to answer the phone. When I actually got a hold of someone, I was transferred four different times, each time being asked to recite my reservation number and other relevant information, before someone told me they would get back to me on how these things could be arranged. I never received a call back and had to call back the next day. I was told though that things had already been arranged and the hotel would be happy to provide some flowers and a cake, this was not exactly what I had in mind but at this point I was too tired trying to communicate with the non-English speaking staff with my poor Chinese to try to really explain anything more elaborate and I said that would be fine.

On the day of arrival, we pulled up to the hotel to....nothing. Generally, when staying at a five star rated establishment and paying the prices for a five star hotel, I expect a doorman or bellhop to be their to open the door and offer to take my luggage. Instead, after getting out of our car, we were greeted by some random person without a uniform or name badge telling us we couldn't park there. After asking where we could park and being told that there were no more spots at all in the area, I finally make him understand that we were guests at the hotel and he made a space for us. He then watched looked at us while we got our bags out carry them over to a trolley before going into the hotel. Overall, a poor first impression of the hotel.

Check in was an improvement as we were quickly sent up to the club level lounge. The rooms were also quite nice and well kept. Being in Beijing and especially in the area that the hotel is located in, the views were unexceptional. Another issue I had with the hotel was the internet service. I could not get the internet to work on my laptop and none of the staff were able to offer any support whatsoever throughout my stay in trying to figure out what was wrong. They did offer me use of the the business facilities however.

My girlfriend enjoyed a wonderful trip to the spa and came out of extremely relaxed and feeling great. The other facilities such as the pool and the gym were ok, but not exceptional. Furthermore, there was the general sense that the whole area needed upkeep as the floors, ceilings, and showers all showed rather visible signs of age and disrepair.

At this point, I would like to say that the staff in the club lounge were exceptional and helped in every way we asked. From helping find a restaurant, to providing a requested snack, to any other request we had, they were constantly smiling and doing their best. I would like to especially note Mariya (spelling) who was in the club lounge every day we were there.

Communication between the staff could have been better however. The cake that the hotel had said they were getting was supposed to arrive the final night we were at the hotel. In fact, I had told my girlfriend not to get desert so we could have it at the hotel. However, when we got back to the room we were greeted to nothing, It was a bit of a disappointment and something we could not worry about that late at night.

Overall, they stay was good but not the exceptional stay that I had been expecting. Having stayed at the Fairmont Shanghai and Seattle, as well as the reviews on this website, I was expecting exceptional which the stay was not.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
      Rooms
1 Thank Changer360
Reto B, Director of Operatoin at Fairmont Beijing, responded to this review, 23 April 2015
Thank you for your 4 stars and incredible review.

We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. We are very fortunate here at Fairmont Bejing with passionate colleagues who aim to exceed expectations.

As a frequent traveler, we hope you come back and stay with us in the near future and look forward to welcoming you back.
Alexandria, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2014

This is a great hotel. The rooms are luxurious. The gym and spa are great. The staff is very accomodating and eager to serve.
Only con: It is not in the typical tourist area, so many of the cab drivers do not know how to get tothe hotel. But, this is easily solved by calling the hotel and having them speak with the driver.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Location
      Rooms
      Cleanliness
Review collected in partnership with Fairmont Hotels & Resorts

2 Thank 4businessfirst
Dear 4businessfirst,
I was delighted to read your favorable response and thank you kindly for sharing your feedback with us. It is flattering to hear that our hotel is your "favorite place to stay in Beijing". We are happy to hear that you enjoy our rooms and facilities. Regarding our location, it really depends on what you are looking for in Beijing. There really is no main tourist attraction since touris t sites like Great Wall, Forbidden City, Beijing Zoo, Temple of Heave, and Silk Market are all far from each othere. Nonetheless, it is very easy to get back to our hotel from any of these areas. Thank you again for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.