“Excellent service with great rooms” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Fairmont Beijing

Fairmont Beijing
Ranked #22 of 6,427 Hotels in Beijing
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“Excellent service with great rooms”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2014

First time to this property and stayed only a night.
Staff was super attentive and extremely helpful.
Hotel pickup service was luxurious and spot on - we needed an SUV cos we had too many luggages. Upon arrival, we were told by the hotel staff that the SUV was delayed, and they had arranged two BMW 5 series to pick us up instead. No complains.
Location is in the CBD so peace and quiet is assured in the evenings. 50m walk to a handful of great chinese eateries and a 7-11 for the last minute snacks and beers.

Will come back again.

Room Tip: Choose the room facing away from the main street to avoid morning and evening glares from the glass...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
      Sleep Quality
1 Thank WilsonfromDubai
Joe H, Director, Front Office Operations at Fairmont Beijing, responded to this review, 28 August 2014
Dear AbuDhabiWill,
Thank you for your 5 star feedback for our 5 star hotel. We are elated that you found our hotel to have "excellent service with great rooms". We hope you tell your friends to stay with us on their vists to Beijing and hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (207)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2014

We stayed in Fairmont Beijing for 3 nights at the beginning of our trip to China. We got an warm welcome from the reception staff and our room was first class - definitely worth the money! Breakfast served was very good- there was pretty much something for everyone. My favourite dish was Chinese egg pancakes, but they only served it on our fist day. :( The hotel interior and furnishing was high quality and very pleasing to experience. The lounge bar on the ground floor was a perfect spot for a drink before our dinners or after long day sightseeing. Overall we enjoyed our stay very much and it would be our choice of a hotel should we visit Beijing again in the future.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Aleksandra R
Your review has been very well recieved. Thank you for your feedback and commending our "well run, luxurious, and good value" hotel. It's great to hear you enjoyed your 3 nights with us and experienced a very warm welcome from our staff. Please let me know when you will be staying with us next and I will ensure that they have Chinese Egg Pancakes for the duration of your stay. We look forward to your next visit and thank you for your review.
Hong Kong
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2014

Good staffs, especially Ms Dan, and good service at Fairmont Gold made my stay enjoyable, comfortable and memorable. I booked a Deluxe room and paid serveral hundreds to upgrade to a junior suite on Gold Floor where free breakfast, afternoon tea, and evening hors d’oeuvres pastries are offered. Foods in Lunar 8 is delicious, where roasted duck is a must try.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
      Location
      Sleep Quality
      Cleanliness
Review collected in partnership with Fairmont Hotels & Resorts

1 Thank Eddy H
Dear Eddy H,
Thank you for your review and kind words for the "excellent service at Fairmont Gold". We are elated that you enjoyed your stay with us and I have personally sent your compliments to Dan and the Fairmont Gold Team. We hope you have the chance to stay with us again and wish you safe travels.
Ayamonte, Spain
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2014

Fairmont Beijin. 22-8-2014
Room booked by Agoda. At a very nice check in by Adrian ( Thank you ) received an upgrade to a suite 819 . The suite is not only nice but very big .nice amenities a Nespresso coffie machine a very big bathroom and a very handy warrobe . Polite staff , good in room service . Location is very good. 300 meters from silk market and very close underground.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
      Location
1 Thank ches50
Joe H, Director, Front Office Operations at Fairmont Beijing, responded to this review, 29 August 2014
Dear ches50,
Thank you for your review and 5 star rating. We are happy that you enjoyed your complimentary suite upgrade and added comfort. We also thank you for your kind words in regards to our staff, service, and location and hope to welcome you back in the very near future.
Nyon, Switzerland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2014

The hotel has a great location near all the sites and the subway. The plusses are:

1. Rooms are large and well laid out.
2. Nespresso machines in room.
3. Great tub and European shower.
4. Great bed.
5. Quite rooms.
6. The concierge was very helpful in arranging train tickets.
7. Great slippers.

Areas for improvement:
1. Room service was ordered for two days in a row and eggs benedict was cold both times.
2. Very slow wifi

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Brads P
Joe H, Director, Front Office Operations at Fairmont Beijing, responded to this review, 26 August 2014
Dear Brad P,
Thank you for your wonderful review and four start rating. Although a 5 star rating would have been excellent to recieve, we welcome your feedback and hope to achieve this on your next visit. Please reach out to me prior to your next visit so I can personally meet you upon arrival and ensure your stay is flawless. Again, thank you for choosing Fairmont as your preferred hotel in Beijing.
Hong Kong, China
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2014 via mobile

Tough to get taxis from the hotel and taxi drivers don't know it when you want to get back. Stay here only if you have a car booked for the day. Rooms and general ambiance were fine. Price was reasonable with the Fairmont loyalty programme special offer.

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank TCTF
Joe H, Director, Front Office Operations at Fairmont Beijing, responded to this review, 2 September 2014
Dear TCTF,
Thank you for choosing Fairmont Hotel during your visit to Beijing. We are happy to see that our rooms and general ambiance were up to your expectations. On your next visit, I highly recommend that you use our "Take me Here" cards, located at reception and concierge for our guests to be given to taxi drivers. This will help taxi drivers locate our hotel easier. The cards include our address, phone number, a map and simple translations from English to Chinese. Furthermore, please feel free to call the hotel directly so one of our Royal Service Agents can assist on your behalf. Thank you again for your review and we hope to see you soon.
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2014 via mobile

One thing that stood out from the whole stay was that service was extremely disappointing. I stayed at Fairmont Beijing for 3 nights right after 3 nights at Four Seasons Beijing because of the ratings given on trip advisor. After experiencing the service at Four Seasons, I was so disappointed in Fairmont Beijing that I said to my colleague that I was definitely going to write a review on trip advisor.

No one at the front door, absolutely no one, ever greeted me during the stay. Apart from the time I checked in and out of the hotel and once in the lift, I was totally ignored and disregarded. There was no staff at the door and if there was a staff or two, they would completely ignore me. I would look at them and nod but no, they would look away and stare somewhere else. No one ever offered to help hail a taxi - and we would walk in and out of the hotel at least twice a day.

There was once when I came back at almost midnight and I walked past the concierge desk towards the lift - the concierge heard me, looked up, and then looked down again, and continued playing with his phone. I was shocked.

It is so not worth the five star rating.

The room was alright, dated and worn though. I had trouble with connecting to the wifi, had to call reception twice before staff told me that I have to click the option where it says that it will charge me each day, but the hotel won't actually charge me.

I had a delivery - concierge did not notify me nor attempt to deliver to my room - just left it at concierge (read my review of four seasons beijing to see how they treated my deliveries to see the difference).

There's also no signs at all to where the swimming pool is on Level 21 - we went back to the room so that we could pick up the phone and ask. There's also no one telling us at check in where breakfast is, we had to call to ask.

For breakfast - we were told over the phone (as we called to ask where was breakfast) that there was only one breakfast between me and my colleague, and I was quite surprised, as an additional person at breakfast would cost us ¥250. I didn't say anything because my colleague did the booking, but when we went for breakfast, the staff at the restaurant told us there were two breakfasts allocated to my room. So either the front desk is trying to get me to fork another ¥250 each day or the restaurant is extremely generous. When we checked out, front desk asked how many breakfasts we had each day, we said two, and then they proceeded to charge us an extra ¥750 for three breakfasts. We argued that the restaurant said we had two breakfasts for our room, so in the end the charges were removed.

On the good side, it is close to the subway - you will find yourself using it as the staff won't be hailing taxis for you, and it is kinda impossible to have a taxi stop for you at the main road. It is quite close to the silk market though.

Overall, exterior is like a five star, interior is like a four star, service is one star.

Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank Natalie L
Dear Natalie L,
Thank you for your feedback and choosing Fairmont Beijing as your preferred hotel during your visit to our Great City. We are very happy you stayed with us but concerned with the service you experienced. In regards to the breakfast charge, your reservation did include only 1 complimentary breakfast per day for your 3 days. Upon checkout, the reason you were charged 3 breakfasts was because you were given 1 complimentary per day and paid for 1 each day as well (totally 3 breakfast charges). The charges were correct but due to multiple shortfalls in our service, we extended complimentary breakfast for your stay as a gesture of goodwill and compensation. We will follow up internally in each of the areas to ensure that future guests to do not have the same experience and thank you for your feedback. We wish you safe travels and hope to welcome you back to Fairmont Beijing soon.