“Soft opening - not all facilities available yet”
Review of Fairmont Beijing

Fairmont Beijing
Ranked #12 of 6,565 Hotels in Beijing
Reviewed 5 July 2010

Friendly staff and functional rooms. Rather posh place (lots of gold coloured decor), not necessarily my style, but still nice.

Odd concept of "soft opening"; originally booked the exec floor, but downgraded again as a couple of weeks prior our arrival we were informed as the facilities are not ready yet.
Value for the room is excellent (even on the cheap side, considering the standard), yet everything else comes with a hefty price tag, e.g. I could have bought new shirts instead having them cleaned.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank aferret

Reviewed 4 July 2010

All Fairmont hotels are excellent in quality and service, but the Fairmont Beijing is the BEST hotel I've ever stayed at. The room is excellent with beds that feel like you're sleeping on a cloud. The bathroom is amazing and the view is exquisite. My favorite part of my stay was the wonderful service they provide. From the moment you walk into the Fairmont Beijing, you are greeted with smiling faces and people who are willing to make your stay enjoyable. Henry, Robert, Barbara, Amy, and many more really helped us on our trip. The restaurant, Lunar 8, has food to die for. Their Fairmont Beijing Duck is mouth-watering and so are many other dishes it has to offer. The Lobby Lounge is such a relaxing place with wonderful cocktails and treats.

Overall, this was one of the best hotel experiences I've ever had. I would check back in if I could :)

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
FairmontBeijing, Manager at Fairmont Beijing, responded to this reviewResponded 8 September 2010

Thank you for taking the time to post a review with your feedback.
We are delighted to hear that you had en enjoyable stay with us and that you enjoyed our Peking Duck.
I also noted your kind remarks about the excellent service provided by our colleagues Henry, Robert, Barbara and Amy during your stay. Here at the Fairmont Beijing we reward our colleagues when they exceed our guests expectations and I have forwarded your kind remarks for recognition.

Once again, thank you for your kind feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.

Kind regards,

James Bevans
Resident Manager

Reviewed 6 June 2010

Just came back from a great 3 day stay at the new Fairmont in Beijing. First, the location is good. Tucked away from the main road but still less than 5 minute walk to the subway station and also pretty easy to get a taxi. Check in was quick and smooth with a nice greeting. The room was impressive. Huge bathroom, glass wall to the main bedroom. Very comfortable bed. This hotel has the most up to date systems of any hotel i've ever stayed at. Bose iPod deck, wireless keyboard for the tv (which I think you were supposed to be able to surf the internet on but I gave up after a minute of trying), big flatscreen tv, lcd tv in the bathroom, Japanese toilet (first time I'd seen one of those as well, the seat warming, water spraying kind), button controlled curtains etc. Also some nice touches, bath salts, a pillow for lying in the bathtub, Nepresso machine etc. Only slight issue we had was that we found the lighting system to be really confusing. It took a lot random button pressing to finally turn off all the lights at night. Also if you like complete darkness you need to unplug the night light and also put something over the lighting buttons which shine bright blue all night (easy to find if you get up in the middle of the night I guess). All in all a great stay and I would highly recommend this hotel. It is still in soft opening so not everything is open (pool and a couple of restaurants not yet opened). But it is a great opportunity to stay here at a cheaper price and with less other guests than in the future! I will be back for sure next time i'm in Beijing.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Cameron W
Joe H, Director, Front Office Operations at Fairmont Beijing, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2013

Dear cameron66,

We're glad that you had a great 3 day stay with us at Fairmont Beijing. We pride ourselves on seeing to every detail. You're right, the small details are what differentiates a hotel stay from a hotel experience; and we're very glad that you enjoyed your experience with us. We've made some great additions since our soft opening. We not have an award winning steakhouse called The Cup located on the second floor and another delicious Asian restaurant on the LL floor. We hope you'll come back and visit us again in Beijing.

Reviewed 14 May 2010

My wife and I along with a business associate stayed here in Late March and again in early May. Although the hotel was having a soft opening and everything was not up and running our stay was one of the best experiences we have ever had. Every staff member went out of their way to greet us ( most by our name) and to help us whenever they could. Henry at concierge and Snow and Cathy at reception were wonderful. The rooms were great and yes the beds were way too comfortable. We used the gym daily and look forward to seeing the Spa open on our next visit. The location is close to the subway and for bargain shoppers is only a couple of short blocks to the silk market. We will be visiting again next year and will definitely be staying at the Fairmont.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled on business
fairbeijing, Public Relations Manager at Fairmont Beijing, responded to this reviewResponded 28 May 2010

Dear 6Sym,

Thank you for choosing Fairmont Beijing again, we are glad to hear that you had a wonderful stay.

We are glad to hear that our Concierge team assisted you during your stay, one of our missions to be a local brand ambassador, where we shared with our guests the best and authentic local experiences. We will definitely share your compliments with the team as well.

Thank you again and we hope to welcome you back again to Fairmont Beijing in the near future, where the hotel will be fully ready and operational.

Reviewed 6 May 2010

Stayed at the Fairmont for 5 nights in late April and I was so sad to leave!

We received superb service throughout the hotel. My boyfriend was feeling ill before arriving in Beijing so we requested a doctor visit just as a precaution. Manager Annie Zheng accompanied the doctor up to the room and made sure we had everything we needed. She seemed genuinely concerned which was greatly appreciated.

We asked the concierge to book us a reservation at Da Dong Peking Duck Restaurant and they made sure we got there on time. Tried both the Chinese and Western style breakfasts at Lunar 8 - both were tasty and quite filling (a must try is the juice of the day: mango with yogurt and watermelon basil were delightful!). A perfect start to the day. Wait-staff, Anny and Peter Wang were attentive but not hovering. Room service was punctual and the food was actually hot (many hotels lack this basic concept).

The room provided great amenities: the Nespresso coffee machine, the Bose radio, large work station and complimentary Wifi. The soft bed complete with quality linens and plenty of fluffy pillows was luxurious and quite a respite after hours of sightseeing and climbing the Great Wall (Jiankou area). Turndown service was a nice touch. The rainshower provided great water pressure; soaking in the bath with some bath salts and the LCD tv was very relaxing. Towels were never in short supply; toiletries, and bottled water were readily replaced or added.

Took the advice of another reviewer with the directions to the metro and they were spot on. The Beijing subway system is inexpensive (about 2 Yuan/ride) clean, efficient, and easy to navigate but always seems jammed packed! Taxis are fairly inexpensive and plentiful. Since this is a new hotel, some taxis did not know how to get there even with the detailed map and Chinese translation cards. This wasn't a problem since it was just as easy to find another taxi that did. I've read that this happens with other hotels so it is not an isolated incident.

Sadly the Willowstream Spa and pool was still not open but I would love to try it on my next visit! Overall, I was extemely pleased with the stay here and would not hesitate to do so again.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank hermes_silk

Dear hermes_silk,

We are glad to hear that you had a wonderful stay, best wishes to your boyfriend and a speedy recovery.

Hopefully on your next visit you can try the Peking duck at Lunar 8, our chef used to work for Quanjude (the oldest Peking duck establishment in Beijing). He uses his secret recipes and herb ingredients to infuse the flavor into the duck, making it crisp, with a touch of scrumptious aroma.

Thank you for noting the details and amenities in the guest room, our team has spent a lot of their effort in putting in the final touches to ensure every guests rest would be a memorable one. We will definitely share this with our team members.

We’ve just recently launched our first wave of taxi campaign, designed to increase taxi drivers awareness of the hotel strategic location. Hopefully it will help travelers to find our hotel easier, another hint full tip is to show the hotel’s signature exterior – rose-gold color that can easily be spotted from the Chang An Avenue.

Hopefully you’ll get a chance to try our Willow Stream spa on the visit, we are just fine tuning on the little details.

Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed 18 April 2010

From the moment I was greeted at the front door until I left in my taxi, the staff and facilities were outstanding!

The Fairmont Beijing is undergoing a soft opening, so there were a limited number of guests in the hotel during my week in Beijing. There was one restaurant open as well as the champagne bar. The music in both was a really cool fusion of chill and local artists. Lunar 8 restaurant has something for everyone: a sushi bar, dimsung kitchen and the 'Peking' duck kitchen has an open fire to show you the duck roasting. Excellent service and very chique decor.

My room was glorious! I have stayed in other hotels in Beijing-all of them had hard beds, the Gold room's bed enveloped me-and when you fly 13 hours, you need a good bed to get over jet lag. My room was very quiet.

I cannot use enough superlatives to describe the concierge staff. Sadly for me, I left both my camera and my makeup bag behind while out on excursions. Bob, the head concierge and his staff went the extra mile to help me find both and/or track down new makeup-in my brands if possible.

I always felt safe because the concierge staff always knew where I was going and kindly inquired how my day was upon my return. Although I was traveling solo, I felt I had friends to check in with each day. Very professional and always smiling and helpful.

I look forward to one day returning to the Fairmont Beijing and seeing it completely open and functional.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank CDNPrairieGal
fairbeijing, Marketing & Communications at Fairmont Beijing, responded to this reviewResponded 19 April 2010

Dear CDNPrairieGal

Thank you for staying with Fairmont Beijing.

We are delighted to hear about your experience, we have been receiving great feedback about our beds, have a look at other traveler reviews for Fairmont Beijing - “Beds Like Clouds”. We will relay your comments as well to our housekeeping team, we are sure they will be more than excited to hear that their effort are appreciated.

We will also relay your message to Bob and the team, we are glad to see that our team has lived up to the brand mission of providing every guests with engaging service and that they took care of your travel requirements during your stay.

Hopefully you’ve also enjoyed the smooth crisp Peking Duck at Lunar 8 and we definitely will look into your suggestion on providing locally inspired music in our guest rooms.

We hope to have the hotel up and running, details of our phased opening are updated regularly on our website. Currently we are anticipating having The CUT steakhouse to open by second quarter, while Willow Stream Spa and swimming pool are on their final adjustment.

Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you again,

Reviewed 11 April 2010

The bed reminds me of United's premium class campaign, where the protagonist floats around on a feather/flower. The top layer is supremely soft, and once on it one can feel the 'sinking' yet firm sensation. Bed linen is luxurious, as are the pillows, which are of the right size (not big and heavy). Did not check the brand, but it is much thicker than most hotel beds, and sleep was something that my partner and I looked forward to every night. So comfortable, some days we just wanted to stay in.

Our twin bed room on the 12th floor (highest being 23rd) had a great view of the hustle and bustle of the streets, and we used the view as a gauge of the day's air pollution. Room is huge and spacious, lacquered wooden panel and work table gives it an old school luxurious feel. There's HDMI connection from TV to DVD player, so images are upscaled. Bathroom is gorgeous, has a separate TV for the tub, toilet bowl comes with heated seat-cover and bidet with multi functions.

Slighty disappointed pool wasn't opened, but when it is will be lots of fun to hang around. It's accessible from a walkway next to the gym, about 25m with a jacuzzi for four (individual seating). Used the gym twice, very frienfly attendant gave one-on-one training. Not sure if it's a temporary arrangement, but to get to the gym and pool, one has to walk through the Gold lounge (20th storey), which is still under works. I can only say it looks spectacular even roast duck and champagne.

The hotel grounds aren't huge, lobby isn't spectacular, and does not occupy the entire building as seen in the website, but other half further down the lane. We did not dine at Lunar so can't comment on the food.

Location wise, it's awesome. If taking subway, stop at Yong An Dong Li station, come out of Exit C, turn right and walk 3 mins max. Silk market is across the main road, again same station but Exit B (linked to subway). Its one stop from Guo Mao , but imo a livelier area than staying right in the heart of CBD. Park Hyatt, the place for 65th storey drinks, is 10 mins walking distance away.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank t-puk

Dear T-Puk

Thank you for staying with Fairmont Beijing on your recent trip and for sharing your experience.

The beds are custom made and designed specifically for Fairmont Beijing, with 400 thread linens. But thank you for noticing the fine finish on the bedding and the bathroom, we will definitely pass this to our housekeeping teams.

We do regret that the swimming pool was not ready during your stay, but hopefully we are looking to open it soon. Currently the route to the health club are temporary arrangements, once the Willow Stream is up and running, guest will arrive on level 21 at the Willow Stream reception lounge and can go down to swimming pool or gym via the elevator. And we are working on further improvement on the lobby area.

We hope to welcome you back again soon and hopefully you will have the chance to dine at Lunar 8, our signature Peking duck is super crisp.