All reviewswangfujing streetforbidden citygreat locationbusiness officewalking distanceclose to major attractionspalace museumwifi speedtranslation appsteamed bunsrooftop barcentral locationbasic amenitiesegg stationstayed here for nightsoriental plazabuffet breakfast
Reviewed 12 November 2013

near all the sites and great food - rooms and bathrooms large - not infinitely clean but clean bed and bathroom - not the ritz but i would stay there again happily and recommend it for anyone - do not expect the desk to speak english - did not eat there so no idea - beds were not the normal hard chinese beds

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank jbedn
Reviewed 10 November 2013

Needed a central place to stay that was economical and close to the city tourist spots, could not have found a better hotel , literally around the corner from TIaniam square and forbidden palace, 200 meters to donggang shopping district and lots of other sites, hotel staff extremely friendly and also nice comfortable rooms, clean and spacious.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 November 2013

My fiance and I were in Beijing for only 2 nights, but they were 2 great nights indeed! We didn't expect a lot when we booked the room at Tian'an Rega, but we were pleasantly surprised upon arrival. The room was very spacious, clean and new. No complaints at all except that the heating system had not yet been turned on, so it was a bit chilly in the room (60s-low 70s perhaps?). The location was perfect and walking distance or a short bus ride from places that we wanted to explore. It was also close to the subway, which made getting to and from the airport easy. Last but not least, I want to mention that the breakfast was amazing! Lots of tasty options from your western style pastries, cereal, eggs and sausage to Chinese steamed buns, wonton soup, noodles, and various cold and hot vegetable/meat dishes.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Nancy M
Reviewed 1 November 2013

I guess if you want to pay less but stay in a central location, there have to be a few compromises. I cannot fault the location at all (minutes to walk to the Forbidden City, Wangfujing and the metro), or the helpful staff, or the travel agent based in the hotel. As I was travelling solo, these things made my short stay in Beijing very easy and convenient. I could book all my taxis and trips without leaving the hotel.
However, the bed was like sleeping on a brick. It was clean, but it gave me backache. At night, I could hear every voice and movement in the hall - along with all the doors opening and slamming. So with that and the backache, I didn't sleep that well.
The room wasn't clean. It smelled very musty and the carpet was filthy. Also, it was only big enough for a single bed and a few modest items of furniture. There were no windows, which made it feel rather claustrophobic.
There were no windows in the hall either, so I didn't know if it was daylight or night time until I reached the lobby.
In hindsight, I would have paid more and booked a double room as I noticed all these are far bigger and have windows (though some look out onto a central atrium). Compared to other guests on my floor, I felt like I was staying in the converted storeroom.
So - to stay out of my 'storeroom' for as long as possible - I was looking forward to chilling out on the roof terrace that the hotel boasts about. Could I do that? Nope. The doors were permanently locked. It seems it's only open during the summer months, so I was out of luck.
Breakfast is overpriced and greasy. 88 RMB for many lack-lustre, deep fried options, all leaving you feeling you could slipslide to your next destination. If you can find an alternative, please do so.
Conclusion? I would probably find somewhere else to stay if I returned to Beijing. But for a one-off short stay (4 nights) it was ok for the price.

Room Tip: DON'T opt for the single room. It'll be the converted storeroom at the end of the hall on each floor.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Traveladdict42
Reviewed 30 October 2013

It really depends on what you are looking for. I do miss this hotel for its great location (walking distance to the top attractions such as Wang Fu Jing and TAM Square) and the basic comfortableness. It is on a quiet street despite proximity to the attractions. The room had no window - but it worked for me, as first it's at the end of the aisle and noise was really low (the rooms were not very soundproof), 2ndly to me a window only provides path for the smog which nowadays often plagues Beijing. At night it was perfectly quiet and dark and warm (consider that many hotels do not provide heat until official heat supply date, which is usually in mid November and temperature could be 50-32 at night). And the bedding was just what I like. Clean soft cotton and basic but comfortably supporting mattress. Surprisingly I did not get any aches/soreness I usually got sleeping in cheap hotel beds as I did elsewhere.

On the other side, the room was definitely not at high end. The water was good and hot but the shower was directly onto the bathroom floor, with only a curtain shielding the cabinet from water. The room was very small with only space for a full bed, some basic furniture and not much more open space. I did not even both to go to the roof as everyone said it was not good, and did not try the breakfast which was optional and expensive. But what you want to see is outside, isn't it?

Tips:
Call if you need a taxi. The main road does not allow taxis to stop, the local street does but it is not where taxis usually pass by. Subway is very close.

Room Tip: As mentioned, the room with no window is very small but quiet and warm, and good for less smog sneaking in. So if you are solo and do not care about the fancy stuff, this is pretty good.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo