All reviews wangfujing street forbidden city great location business office walking distance close to major attractions palace museum wifi speed translation app steamed buns rooftop bar central location basic amenities egg station stayed here for nights oriental plaza buffet breakfast
Reviewed 7 December 2013

This was our first ever experience of a hotel in china and we were pleasantly surprised, we stayed for three nights and enjoyed our stay.
We were greeted very nicely at the reception and although the staffs English was limited (our Chinese was a total of five words!) their enthusiasm to speak to us was admirable.
Although the hotel is a little tired it was pleasant, our room was nice and spacious with a very clean comfy bed. The room was quite dark as we had only a diddly little window and had to use the lights when ever in the room, not the end of the world though!.
The shower was great, hot and powerful with nice fresh bath towels daily.
We never ate at the hotel as we ate out at the local restaurants which are plentiful and good value,with the exception of a place called the duck duck, it was terrible,expensive and poor service.
The hotel is in an ideal location for the attractions all within a short walk and is very close to the underground, which we used to get to the Great Wall, 2 yuen to Beijing train station and 6 yuen on the train one way, time it right and you can do the journey in around 2 hours each way! This was a lot cheaper than the £35 each that the tour operators were asking, and a lot more fun!
We would recommend a stay at this hotel, we would have stayed longer as there is so much to do and see in Beijing but we had already booked our return train ticket to shanghai.
To any one visiting Beijing we would recommend at least five nights as we realised there was so much that we had not seen.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Locomotion59
Reviewed 12 November 2013

near all the sites and great food - rooms and bathrooms large - not infinitely clean but clean bed and bathroom - not the ritz but i would stay there again happily and recommend it for anyone - do not expect the desk to speak english - did not eat there so no idea - beds were not the normal hard chinese beds

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank jbedn
Reviewed 10 November 2013

Needed a central place to stay that was economical and close to the city tourist spots, could not have found a better hotel , literally around the corner from TIaniam square and forbidden palace, 200 meters to donggang shopping district and lots of other sites, hotel staff extremely friendly and also nice comfortable rooms, clean and spacious.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 November 2013

My fiance and I were in Beijing for only 2 nights, but they were 2 great nights indeed! We didn't expect a lot when we booked the room at Tian'an Rega, but we were pleasantly surprised upon arrival. The room was very spacious, clean and new. No complaints at all except that the heating system had not yet been turned on, so it was a bit chilly in the room (60s-low 70s perhaps?). The location was perfect and walking distance or a short bus ride from places that we wanted to explore. It was also close to the subway, which made getting to and from the airport easy. Last but not least, I want to mention that the breakfast was amazing! Lots of tasty options from your western style pastries, cereal, eggs and sausage to Chinese steamed buns, wonton soup, noodles, and various cold and hot vegetable/meat dishes.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Nancy M
Reviewed 1 November 2013

I guess if you want to pay less but stay in a central location, there have to be a few compromises. I cannot fault the location at all (minutes to walk to the Forbidden City, Wangfujing and the metro), or the helpful staff, or the travel agent based in the hotel. As I was travelling solo, these things made my short stay in Beijing very easy and convenient. I could book all my taxis and trips without leaving the hotel.
However, the bed was like sleeping on a brick. It was clean, but it gave me backache. At night, I could hear every voice and movement in the hall - along with all the doors opening and slamming. So with that and the backache, I didn't sleep that well.
The room wasn't clean. It smelled very musty and the carpet was filthy. Also, it was only big enough for a single bed and a few modest items of furniture. There were no windows, which made it feel rather claustrophobic.
There were no windows in the hall either, so I didn't know if it was daylight or night time until I reached the lobby.
In hindsight, I would have paid more and booked a double room as I noticed all these are far bigger and have windows (though some look out onto a central atrium). Compared to other guests on my floor, I felt like I was staying in the converted storeroom.
So - to stay out of my 'storeroom' for as long as possible - I was looking forward to chilling out on the roof terrace that the hotel boasts about. Could I do that? Nope. The doors were permanently locked. It seems it's only open during the summer months, so I was out of luck.
Breakfast is overpriced and greasy. 88 RMB for many lack-lustre, deep fried options, all leaving you feeling you could slipslide to your next destination. If you can find an alternative, please do so.
Conclusion? I would probably find somewhere else to stay if I returned to Beijing. But for a one-off short stay (4 nights) it was ok for the price.

Room Tip: DON'T opt for the single room. It'll be the converted storeroom at the end of the hall on each floor.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo