“stars six and seven and for????”

Pangu 7 Star Hotel Beijing
Ranked #98 of 6,520 Hotels in Beijing
Metro Minneapolis-Saint Paul, Minnesota
“stars six and seven and for????”
Reviewed 27 April 2014

I've stayed in a lot of 5 star hotels, so when my hosts in Beijing insisted I stay at the Pangu and told me it was a 7 star hotel, I was thinking it would be something special. It was very good, but I could never figure out what the 6th and 7th stars were for. Perhaps it was the number of staff standing around saying good morning or good evening; I've never seen so many staff at any hotel in the world, everywhere. Or the immense displays of gorgeous flowers and orchids everywhere--beautiful. The location is not near anything really, it's a great area for walking, near my hosts and fairly close to the airport, but not central Beijing, especially in traffic, so meetings in other parts of the city too forever to get to The rooms were deathly quiet, which was great, and after the first night when I collapsed from a 17 hour flight and endless dinner with friends I finally figured out the heating system. I turned it off--and the maid always turned it on--high. The room was thoughtful, what I call "Chinese" elegant, but many features--lighting, window shades, lots of bottled water, bath products, flowers, fruit--were nice touches of high quality. The breakfast buffet is superb, American, European, Chinese or Japanese. The top floor bar was uncomfortable as it allows smokers, and folks do smoke there. But I was not shocked at the scotch prices, nor in fact, the prices at Pangu in general, which are nowhere near what one would pay in London, Rome or New York for a 5 star hotel like the Peninsula, Claridges etc. It's a very good 4-5 star hotel by world standards, but seven? I'm waiting to be wowed.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the Olympic park and Birdsnest are very quiet and the lighting at night, until 10 pm, i...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Jeffrey K

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
san jose, ca
Reviewed 18 February 2014

the rooms are pretty darn nice and well appointed. You get Acqua di Parma soaps/shampoos which is very nice ;) THe bed is very comfy with great linens. Room spacious.

BUT, in the two separate occasions that I have stayed there, in the winter, the room was too dang hot. Even after our local friend made sure the front desk understood, but even after the maintenance guy came and finally concluded his efforts with an in room air cleaner (not an A/C unit as they had promised) the room cooled off a bit, but sleeping was difficult. BTW my co-travelers room had also the same overly hot room on the same floor, but opposite side, so it seems common to this hotel.

So we are out, and going off to the Beijing Grand Hyatt next time, which itself was poor the first time, and why we ended up at the Pangu 7 Star.

Basically this AIN'T a 7 star hotel... I'd call it by US standards a more like 3 or 4 star hotel.

Not going again.

Room Tip: have no idea on how to choose a good room... you need to see if they can ensure the room won't b...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank tony_zla
Newport Beach, California
Reviewed 12 December 2013

What a let down. My usual Beijing favorite Marco Polo was full so my office booked me at the Pangu which was less convenient to my office but I figured wow 7 stars it better blow my socks off and was I ever wrong. I stayed here for one night about a year ago and wasn't here lying enough to honestly have a good feel but I spent a solid week this time and have a solid opinion. Save your money and book elsewhere. The rooms are ok but poorly laid out, standard king bed room has nowhere to sit beside the bed and a rediculous desk chair, like many Chinese hotels in the winter time the room temperature is insanely hot to the point that I wake up in the middle of the night covered in sweat and I swear to god it's ninth degrees F. In my room and they can't fix it. Breakfast is a joke and can't even compare with Marco Polo and the service is slow. The general feeling I get is the facilities and property is acceptable (except for room temp) but they loose it on the service I'm not paying huge money for slow unresponsive service that's why I stay at nice hotels because I expect more, I don't have time to screw around. The bar on the 21st floor is nice with great views of The Cube and Birds Nest and even has a good lounge singer but it stops there, drinks are way too expensive for poor quality. It's embarrassing how much I paid for the smallest shot of McCallen 18, I swear they poured it by the drop. I'm done I'm checking out and moving back to Marco Polo. One great thing but not worth it the free Wifi is super fast and available everywhere, I think because the place is empty.

Room Tip: If you pay more you can have a nice view of Olympic Park, big deal lights are off at 10PM save you...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank Brian S
PanguSevenStarH... B, Manager at Pangu 7 Star Hotel Beijing, responded to this review, 23 December 2013
Dear Mr. Brian,

Warm greeting from Pangu 7 Star Hotel Beijing, China.

We’re awfully sorry that you had a very unhappy staying experience in our hotel. Please accept our sincere apology from our entire team. As an independent hotel, we’re always focus creating a National Brand, which can bring something different than the other worldwide hotel. We’re much appreciated for the guest who is open talk, to let us know the deficiencies, to improve our service. Your pertinent comments are valuable motivation for us. On behalf of the hotel management, we’re sincere invite you come to stay with us for your next trip in Beijing. We believe you’ll feel something different and big changes in the hotel. All the improvement are coming from the guest who like you. We’re looking forward to hear from you soon.

With the best regards,

Michelle Zhang
Resident Manager

Pangu 7 Star Hotel Beijing
England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 August 2013

Excellent views over the Olympic park that was used for the swimming (Cube) and the Bird's nest.
Beutifully decorated room even comes with fireplace. Beds were very comfortable and pillow menu helps!
Staff are very helpful and courteous.
One of the best hotels I've ever stayed in.

3 Thank andimate
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed 23 May 2013

I stayed here for a media drive day. The hotel is handy to the airport and getting out of town, less handy to the city centre.
It is laid out with simple elegance set off with discrete artworks and details, like the carved rosewood ceiling panels, antique vases and here and there an aged bonsai - nice touches but not overwhelming. Very helpful staff, reception was quick with excellent English and they were happy to change small sums of cash.
I had one of the smaller rooms but it was spacious, well laid out and included everything I could want, except an iron - reception will deliver. Free broadband, electric blinds, super-quiet, large bathroom, great view of the Olympic village. You can swim in the Olympic pool for a fee, but the fifth floor hotel pool is gorgeous.
The hotel isn't handy to the standard tourist spots - it's happy to call a taxi for you and they're not expensive. Tiananmen Square and the Forbidden City are about 45 minutes away, depending on traffic.
Excellent breakfast - I didn't try the other meals - a quiet indoor lounge with tea and traditional instruments; otherwise there's the 21st-floor bar with a fantastic view of the Birds Nest stadium and the Olympic Pool lit up after dark - but switching off at 10pm.
This was a great place for a business trip, you are guaranteed rest, internet, good food and assistance with any requirement. I've only stayed in one seven-star hotel, and I'd say this isn't at that level, though it certainly feels it in terms of contrast with its surroundings. Would stay again in a flash, and would recommend it, especially if you don't have long to stay; reception can organise any trip you need to take, self-drive, by taxi or with a guide.

Room Tip: Make sure you overlook the Olympic village
4 Thank JacquimNZ
PanguSevenStarH... B, Manager at Pangu 7 Star Hotel Beijing, responded to this review, 18 June 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for your staying with us in the Pangu 7 star hotel Beijing.

We will continuously improve the service level according to your opinions.

Hope we will have the opportunity again to be at your service
when you come back to Beijing in the near future.

Hotel Management
Cheshire
Reviewed 19 May 2013

Used this hotel for a media ride and drive. Excellent service and Joyce the sales director is excellent. Initial first impressions were not great,but this hotel grows on you. It is actually best viewed at night, due to the lights and location. Hotel is very well located for the Olympic Park,access to the airport and getting out of the city. Extensive buffet for lunch and dinner but not cheap. Hotel is a little worn around the edges, with tired carpets in bedrooms and buffet area. Staff are very attentive however. Not ideal location for viewing sites in the main city due traffic, but definitely good conference hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms opposite the park Ardmore expensive,but corner rooms are good alternative. Rooms facing the r...
1 Thank Richard S
Jakarta, Jakarta Raya, Indonesia
Reviewed 25 April 2013

I was here in march 2012...the hotel was excellent and superb..i will stay here again someday for beijing trip..Good location, just opposite to the olympic village. the bathroom was great, the tv in the bath was very awesome...check in and out was quick..

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business