“Lovely little hotel.”

Jingyuan Courtyard Hotel
Ranked #215 of 6,550 Hotels in Beijing
Reviewed 9 November 2013

This hotel was so quaint and lovely. The staff were extremely helpful, even when we couldn't find it at first they came to get us! They helped us organise an amazing and fairly cheap visit to the Great Wall and I could not fault their service. Our hotel room was huge and clean. The only down part was it was a little cold at night but once in bed this didn't matter. I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Violentverb

Reviewed 17 April 2013

We had a great experience staying there with excellent service. The western style breakfast was always bacon, eggs toast and yogurt.
The ambiance was of an old style courtyard with beautiful surrounding. Unfortunately there was numerous renovations within the courtyard and outside. The outside renovations were done througout the last 2 nights...
We even had a sneak peak to a traditional wedding on the last day of stay.... For the price it was great...
The location is excellent sell, very close to Wangfujing and subway station.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank zoronqueen
Reviewed 30 November 2012

I wanted to treat myself to accommodation that was clean, dirt free, pest free and safe so I looked for a room in the $90-$100 range. I chose the Beijing Jingyuan Courtyard Hotel, Beijing because it was advertised to meet all of my needs at this price point. I paid $93 a night for accommodation that turned out literally to be a flea bag hotel that wasn’t even worth $20 a night.

I spent $642.78 for 6 nights at a pest infested dirty hotel. On a daily basis, I had to deal with numerous mosquitoes, a large quantity of jumping tick like bugs on the bed, and centipedes in the bathroom. One night I found a gecko crawling on the wall next to my bed. Every day and multiple times during the night I woke up to kill pests on my body and in my room. Apart from removing the gecko, management did nothing to remedy the situation. Also the hotel was dirty, unkempt and provided bad food. I feel ripped off and cheated by the abysmal service provided by this establishment. I have had take time off work to visit the doctor multiple times, seek out medical help, and obtain a prescription for dozens of bites all over my body received at the hotel.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
12  Thank Sara K
Reviewed 26 November 2012

This hotel is part of an authentic courtyard house. It is a historic property that is protected by the government. Proceeds from this hotel fund the YWCA which is located next door.

The hotel is on a quiet side street just off the centrally located Goldfish Lane near the famous Wangfujing shopping street. The building sits just behind some of the most expensive hotels in the city including the Waldorf Astoria which is currently under construction.

Both the Wangfujing shopping street and the night market are a block away. An underground stop is about a 5 minute walk.

The hotel has a small lobby with some English speaking staff.

The best part of the hotel is the beautiful courtyard and wonderfully curving historic roof line.

There are a few quirky details like big metal locks on the doors, mats hanging over the doorways to keep the bugs out, curtains fixed over the windows that can't be drawn back, and very low wattage light bulbs.

Although I decided not to stay at the courtyard hotel (too basic, mosquitoes, weak wifi), it is a lower priced alternative to the expensive hotels in the area. What you may lack in amenities, you make up for in authenticity.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank pricklypoppy
Reviewed 26 July 2012

We loved this very small hotel. The location was perfect for a walking tour of Beijing; Tian'anmen Square, Beihai Park, Wangfujing Mall and Hutong areas. The service was really helpful and we enjoyed sitting in the courtyard for our western breakfast. There is a new Mall building over the road that has 2 floors of eating places, The bed was hard but we were so tired from all the walking we slept like logs. Great hot shower. Tea/coffee in the room and bottled water, Our room was very quiet. Nothing was too much trouble for the young man and lady on reception. It is hard to find and recommend book a limousine service from airport if arriving late at night - China Pleasure Co was A$30. Beware of the rickshaw drivers - we got ripped off badly.

Room Tip: Ask for room facing into internal courtyard
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Aussie058
Reviewed 23 July 2012

We were looking forward to a traditional courtyard hotel experience. Instead, the room we were given was not on the courtyard but in the service area between the entrance and the lobby. The room was dark--the window faced the lobby exterior wall--and damp with peeling wallpaper and mold on the walls. There was heavy rain the day we arrived and the only way to access our room was by walking through a deep muddy puddle. The receptionist who helped us with our bags tracked the mud across the clean tile floor (the bathroom was clean too but had a strong musty odor). And the room was COLD. The door was locked with a padlock and clasp that didn't close completely leaving a gap of an inch or two open to the elements. It was mid-May but daytime temperatures were in the 50s and nighttime temps were falling into the 40s. The hotel turns off the heat sometime in March and will not turn it on again until Fall no matter what the weather. The hotel is behind a shopping center (the hotel is a bit difficult to find, be sure you have directions in hand) and its loading docks, which are active from early morning until late at night, were just across the street from our room. After trying to make the best of it we gave up and found alternate accommodations. The night desk clerk was helpful and did his best to make our checkout as pleasant as possible.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
7  Thank ljgeddes
Reviewed 22 December 2011

My girlfriend and I visited Beijing in early December. She chose Jingyuan for us, as we were looking to stay at more of a local hotel. We arrived around midnight, and were greeted by the recptionist, Denny. She made us feel welcome immediately - my girlfriend was starving, and even though the kitchen was closed for the night, Denny stayed up and made a meal just for the two of us. She also took the time to help us choose whichever room was best for us. In the morning, she helped explain how to get to various attractions throughout Beijing. The rest of the staff seemed just as friendly and helpful throughout our three days here. We would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: The rooms tend to get a little cold in the winter.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple