“Inner City”

Ranked #15 of 1,320 Beijing B&B and Inns
Lodz, Poland
“Inner City”
Reviewed 30 October 2013

Great place, full of chinese culture and atmosphere. Based within traditional hutong's area which makes this hostel wonderful place to stay. This was our first stop during our trip to China, we were welcomed with traditional chinese dinner and lovely hosts! Greetings for Sammy and Yang! :-) I wonder do you work there still? ;-) Greetings from Poland!

Ola&Wiktor

Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Tianjin, China
Reviewed 21 October 2013

This was our third stay with our three children. We live in Tianjin, just a short train ride away, and after our first stay we decided that we absolutely must return at least every spring and fall, just to be with the people again and in that atmosphere. When we first arrived, and we were walking from the subway station, I thought, I am never doing this again (it's a long walk, especially for children ages 5, 4 and 4), but almost from the minute we got there, I forgot all about the walk. The staff absolutely adore the children, and I feel completely comfortable leaving the kids while I go out foraging for food. The children cry when we leave and are so excited when we go back. Actually, it's all I can do to get them to leave the hostel at all, even to go to the zoo. They love playing in the courtyard and watching the flocks of birds fly over.

There is one thing I love about the location, and it is the market that is just outside the door. It's huge, and open from 7 in the morning to 8 or 9 at night. It's just full of fruits and vegetables, shops that sell shoes and jackets (we always seem to use this opportunity to buy shoes for the kids), and along the wall closest to the hutong are shops selling delicious baozi, eggs hardboiled in tea, Chinese breakfast sandwiches with sausage, egg and lettuce inside, flat bread, dumplings you can take home and boil yourself, and two bakeries. Out on the main street closest is a great Beijing Duck restaurant, and a small restaurant from Shanxi that has wonderful noodles. It's just a bit of a walk to bus stations and subway stations that will take you anywhere, but I'm guessing that wouldn't be anything at all to people without small children.

I feel like this is where you need to stay if you want to experience the real China, not just the places that are designed for tourists and where you'll be bombarded by people shouting in English for you to buy things from them. In the hutongs you're just surrounded by every day people just living their lives, and you can shop and eat among them without feeling like anyone is out to take advantage of you. The hostel quickly became like family to us, and each time we've gone, we've made lasting friendships with people from other parts of the world. Maybe I'll see you the next time we're there!

Oh, we get the family room (which I think is a bit cheaper than reserving four bunks so you have a room to yourself, and two children sleep in the small bed, and one sleeps between us on the big bed, and there's plenty of room.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
The Hague, The Netherlands
Reviewed 11 July 2013

I have stayed here for several nights during the summer of 2012. It was my first stop in China. I really enjoyed my stay at Inner City. The staff were welcoming and enthousiastic and the atmosphere of the hostel was very vibrant and safe. During my stay the other guests were mainly of Chinese origin and I was invited to stay for dinner on my first night here.

Inner City hostel is located in a hutong and the rooms as well have a traditional design and style. That the hostel has a bit of a worn feel to it only contributes to that traditional Chinese atmosphere that makes you realize that you have landed in this fantastic and exciting part of the world.

If I should name anything, the only thing that is slightly less convenient is its location; it is a bit further from the (inner) city centre than the name suggests. It is a 10-minute walk to the nearest metro-station, but from there you can easily navigate around the city.

I would definately recommend staying at this hostel if you look for a welcoming and authentic surrounding that is not expensive, safe and hassle-free.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
Shanghai, China
Reviewed 3 July 2013

We stayed two nights while visiting Beijing. We really enjoyed having the common area to relax, read and play board games in the evening. The staff were friendly and generally helpful. We were told breakfast was included but were a bit disappointed that it was just a help-yourself toast and hot soy milk. One thing we really enjoyed was the gigantic fruit & veggie market across the lane. We shopped there to supplement our breakfast each morning. The bathroom wasn't in great shape - a lot of the fixtures were loose. The courtyard area didn't seem well maintained, as it was quite overgrown with weeds.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Greater London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 June 2013

Inner City is a simple and small Chinese hostel in a hutong in west central Beijing. My room was small and cluttered, with a tiny bathroom (a large shower with a built in WC and basin would be the best description) and a slightly uncomfortable bed and hygiene and cleanliness are definitely below Western standards.
It is relatively cheap and a sort of breakfast is included (toast and soy milk) but it is a perfect place to experience traditional Beijing life - it is in a hutong and there is an interesting and cheap market just across the alley.
The real strength of the place is staff (they own and manage the place) - welcoming, friendly, super helpful. We spent two very pleasant evenings socializing in the courtyard while having tea and fruits and we had good restaurant recommendations and suggestions for sightseeing.
I would recommend this if you are adaptable, traveling on a tight budget and staying for 3/4 nights. For shorter stays you might want something more convenient in terms of location and for longer stays you might want something more comfortable

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
Southampton, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 June 2013

i stayed there for about one week with my friend during March. We lived in a 4-bed room first and then moved to a two-bed room two days later.

The location is good, it's in a very central place, close to lots of tourism spots; The environment is good too, a very typical Chinese old Siheyuan, peaceful at night and easy to find some Chinese snack restaurant nearby; The price is reasonable too.

The only weakness is the breakfast. It's kinda disappointing, no coffee, no juice, no toaster, only some bread and a bottle of tap water.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
Shanghai, China
Reviewed 21 May 2013

Advantage
Very friendly and helpful staff, try their best to meet your needs. Room and sheets are fairly clean, bed is comfortable. The hostel is very traditional Beijing 'Siheyuan', anyone who wants to experience this home-like old Beijing style could try this out.

Disadvantage
Location is like 10mins walking distance to the metro station which doesnt seem an advantage to me, and RMB150 from airport to it by taxi at midnight. My room was #101, the bath is really tiny and has a bit of smell, I got up in the middle of the night to close the door of it to get rid of the smell, shower was fine though. It could get noicy in the morning when everyone else is up, and start walking and talking in the yard.

Room Tip: Room 101 has a twin bed and a single bed