Happy Dragon Hostel
New World Beijing Hotel(Beijing)
US$239
  • Breakfast included
US$173
US$160
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsdongsi subway stationdumpling partyforbidden citya private double roomensuite bathroomlocated minutesdumplingscommon roomminutes walkingtrain ticketslounge areagreat wall of chinawestern stylestayed for nightshutong areaenglish speaking staffbackpackers
Reviewed 18 June 2013

I flew in from Shanghai. Really easy location to find. Really close to the metro. I splashed out and got myself a double en suite room. It was worth it! There is a little cafe there too that does amazing hot food. Drinks are cheap, there internet too and I was luckily on the ground floor right next to the bar so I was able to get wifi in my room! Its not the fasted internet but lets remember it is a hostel! The people at reception were really nice. They gave me directions and pointers on exploring Beijing. Met up with some friends who I had met across Asia. They came over the cafe and they kindly organised taxi's for us to get to and from the local nightclub. Literally the best experience of my life!!

Room Tip: Treat yourself to a double en-suite!
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 6 June 2013

It was a pleasant experience that we stayed at Happy Dragon Hostel back in January 2013. The staffs were very helpful and could speak little English. Below are my points:

Likes: Close to Metro station, helpful staff, can understand English, good location, near restaurants
Dislikes:
- The stairs have no handle which is very scary since it's very dark in the alley. Not recommended for small kids or older people.
- The internet service provided here works so terribly slow! I waited for 5 minutes & I could not even get into Google page!

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank zachrienoor
Reviewed 16 May 2013

The hostel is unbelieve nice,staffs are helpful and friendly,the room is clean and bright,the food is tasty. it is a great place to stay when you are in Beijing,if you have any questions, you just tell the stuffs who work at front_desk,they would like help you friendly.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 May 2013

We stayed few nights there. The room was small but decent. Bathroom rather old and small, and the shower is 'open', so that every time one has to use it, the entire bathroom gets wet. Good Internet connectivity, sometimes even for a fluid VOiP call.

The bar / restaurant has not really an inviting look&feel: the room is small and dark and lit with disco balls and strobo lights. The patio (on the ground floor) is usually blocked by vans and cars, and it doesn't offer a good view. We had breakfast there a couple of times (during the day disco lights are off, which is good), and it was a (not free) good-enough breakfast. They seem to have a weekly free hotpot for guests, at their restaurant. Unfortunately they only offer options for meat-eaters (and I'm not in that category).

Staff was friendly. However they did not manage a situation when a big group of super-annoying guests kept us awake (loud techno music at 4 in the morning, shouting from one room to the other, throwing cans of drinks at doors,...) for 3 nights.
Maybe we were extremely unlucky, but I felt it's a place where a group of customers can get away with almost any kind of rude behaviours.

Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank bobbywatson23
Reviewed 25 April 2013

I stayed here twice whilst in china. the staff here and second to none, theyre really lovely! they ordered me a taxi to the airport ect (something most hostels dont do, they want you to pay their inflated fee for a driver) the set up of the hostel is pretty cool with a bar where you can get a western (ish) breakfast.
loaction is awesome
rooms are comfortable, theyre not great. the first room i stayed in had electrics hanging out the wall which wasnt top. but none the less i throughly enjoyed my stay.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo