“Simply Brilliant”

Price range: US$50 - US$50
Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: After-hours, Private Dining, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Houhai
Description: We are a reservations-only dining experience offering a set menu of ten courses and two wine pairings in an open kitchen where you'll learn the secrets of Chinese cuisine.
Reviewed 8 January 2013

I accidentally ended up here when few of my colleagues had a booking. food as fresh as it gets. Australian wine, TsingTao Beer. Nothing can go wrong.

Warning: Please make a reservation first!

Reviewed 7 January 2013

We had read the reviews about this restaurant on tripadvisor so I emailed them about a week before we went and luckily they had space. A driver from our hotel took us & thank goodness he did, it would have taken us ages to find it as it is down a pedestrianised street & through a small courtyard, the entrance isn't obvious.
So glad we went, we were in the section where the chef is cooking so were able to watch in awe as he created these wonderful dishes. We were on a large table for ten so you get to meet other people which is a nice idea. We shared about 10 dishes,with the exception of one ( it was far to fiery for me) they were delicious & varied. We finished with black sesame ice cream & apple fritters which were to die for. We even sampled the local firewater, the name escapes me, but boy did it keep us warm on that freezing cold night!
If you have time in your schedule give it a try, you won't be disappointed .

Reviewed 23 December 2012

Really Good food (10 dishes menu), served Australian Wine. The service was amazing, and the chef very funny. He drunk 4 shots of his favorite drink with the guests. I REALLY REALLY recommend you to go there. But be aware: it is very very very hard to find. Even if the map you get when doing the reservation. But, by far, one the the top 3 restaurants I visited this year, and I have visited 27 countries and restaurants from $2 to $300 menu! Really a must go in Beijing.

Reviewed 21 December 2012

Black Sesame Kitchen always gets rated high by its customers, and for good reason. It's food is terrific and it is a terrific experience. It's located just off a well-traveled little sidestreet with plenty of cute shops. Once at BSK, it is like being in someone's home -- convival atmosphere, communal tables and an open kitchen. It's a foodies' delight. The set menu is more than ample and provides a great selection of Chinese food prepared to perfection. The wine keeps flowing, as does the conversation and the food. This is a unique and special place that deserves all the accolades it gets. Also, since it is located deep in a hutong, there's a bit of an adventure getting there. It gives the customer of feeling of Old Beijing.

Reviewed 17 December 2012

I read every single review before going, and it is easy to get heady about getting a reservation for the #1 restaurant in Beijing. (We booked 2 months in advance.) My suggestions would be to go into this experience thinking that:
1) you will have a difficult time finding the place,
2) you should get there a bit early if not right at 7,
3) you may not get to sit in the room with the chefs and watch them cook in real time,
4) the decor is delightful and the chairs a tiny bit uncomfortable,
5) the food, while not the best Chinese food ever (except for perhaps the hot-cold-hard-soft-stringy-creamy black sesame dessert - truly sublime), will be delicious, authentically prepared, and a bit eclectic,
6) the wine, while not the best wine ever, complements the food well and is free-flowing,
7) the service will be generously down-to-earth and accessibly friendly,
8) you are paying as much for the experience of an intimate gathering, perhaps with people you didn't know but are eager for a good meal, as you are for the food, and
9) you will be full, maybe overfull, when you leave, at or before 10 pm, because that's when they have to close.

And if you are successful at managing those expectations, then I imagine you will join me in lauding the five-bullet rating.

Been to Black Sesame Kitchen? Share your experiences!