Shangri-La China World Summit Wing, Beijing
Ranked #8 of 6,516 Hotels in Beijing
Mustihaveone
“Superb”
Reviewed 12 August 2014

I stay here regularly as it is my corporate hotel (most recently in June / July 2014) and my Beijing office is in the same building. The hotel is fabulous. Good service begins at Front Desk. The rooms are wonderful, new, well furnished and maintained with a generous shower and toilet area. Nice large windows, though the view depends on the pollution and whether you consider Beijing's cityscape a view at all. Good room service options and I have managed to get them to make vegetarian dishes, though occasionally things on the menu get "sold out" (I think they run out of things like wholewheat pasta now and then).

Most important, even in polluted times, the air in the rooms feels quite clean, though it can be dry. They did not know what a humidifier was, but I carry a portable one and suggest anyone traveling to Beijing do so, specially in winter.

I would stay here in a heartbeat, whether for business or for pleasure.

The mall downstairs has, among other things, a (pricey, expat-oriented) supermarket should you crave snacks and such, and also a large number of eating establishments. It also connects to the Guamao subway station. So good location and connectivity.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Linda Y, Public Relations Manager at Shangri-La China World Summit Wing, Beijing, responded to this review, 17 August 2014
Dear Mustihaveone,

Thank you so much for spending time making comments for us. We value comments from every hotel guest but feedback from regular/frequent guests like you is even more important to us.

As you mentioned, we heard guests saying that the guestroom is nice but dry, particularly in winter. So we have prepared some humidifiers in case guests may need. We are making such improvement little by little with supports from guests like you.

Thank you again for staying with us and we sincerely look forward to seeing you soon!

Warm regards,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 9 August 2014

China World Summit is my regular business hotel for the past few years. Great hardware, spacious rooms. Excellent location. Room service is great by China standards. It is a little hard to get a cab at the hotel though - may need to walk a few blocks.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Dear Karenchankc,

Thank you very much for your comments for China World Summit Wing, Beijing. We are so happy to learn that Summit Wing is your favorite for accommodation in Beijing. This is a big encouragement that I would like to share with more colleagues.

Thank you again and we sincerely look forward to welcoming you again on your next trip to Beijing!

Malta,
Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

Stay for a week, it's a bit over priced but for china standard is a breath of fresh air :) helpful staff and a clean atmosphere all around. The restaurants and bars nicely stocked too. Would visit again.

• Stayed July 2014
Hong kong
Reviewed 4 August 2014

We stayed at room 6813. I joined my husband in Beijing for a business trip and stayed at the Hotel. I usually stay elsewhere. We had a terrible experience, a nightmare really!

When we got back to the Hotel at 11:00 pm after dinner, we found the room was not cleaned and dirty towels were not replaced. We had to call three or four times before the hotel sent someone to refresh the room. When all was done, the shower door throw rug was missing. I almost slipped when I stepped out of the shower!

In addition, the bathroom and the dressing area smelled like sewage! A design flaw no doubt.

What is more outrageous is I needed a room key to get to the Hotel lobby! As it was such a weirded and unexpected practice, I was stuck in the elevator for a long time before someone from the hotel to let me, a guest, from my floor to the lobby, which is a public area! As a result, I was late for my car pick up and had to rush like mad to the airport.

Another horrible experience was breakfast. All I wanted was oatmeal with some walnuts. It turned out the hotel had to search for walnuts! After waiting for 15 minutes and they found walnuts, my oatmeal was cold and I run out of time for another one! Five-star hotel? What a joke!

• Stayed August 2014
Thomas S, General Manager at Shangri-La China World Summit Wing, Beijing, responded to this review, 7 August 2014
Dear Yibingmao,

Thank you choosing to stay at China World Summit Wing during your last visit to Beijing and your feedback on TripAdvisor. Please accept my regrets and apologies regarding the series of inconveniences you encountered during your stay.

The disappointing issues you have encountered with our housekeeping delayed service and that we ran out of walnut at breakfast are unacceptable and is not reflective of the usual high standards we hold ourselves to. Your feedback have been shared with my people concerned and we are taking steps to improve. On the lift access issue, we are always torn between guest's convenience or safety and security. Being an iconic building in Beijing, we have also be advised by the local authorities to enforce such security measures. We can only ask and seek your understanding.

I sincerely hope you will indulge us on this occasion and to give us another chance to change your perception of China World Summit Wing. Kindly contact my office and I will be delighted and obliged to see to it that your next stay would be a perfect one.

Thomas Schmitt-Glaseser, General Manager
USA
Reviewed 20 July 2014

This makes and interesting comparison to the Kerry Hotel (see another review).

The pros: (1) the view, (2) the rooms -- a notch above Kerry but not by much and wouldn't be part of my decision, frankly, (3) the swimming pool / fitness / locker rooms. I suppose (1) and (3) are pretty damn nice. In fact, this was the most spectacular setting and quality of swimming pool and locker rooms that I've seen anywhere. Period, no qualification.

The cons: (1) No equivalent to the Club at the Kerry (or the regular China World). Well, there may not be a #2. I'm pretty impressed, though for me personally I am thinking Kerry may be a better choice. The Summit's breakfast is included in my rate, and I assume I'll be pleased tomorrow, but I had to pay for a glass of wine at 6 PM (which would have flowed freely at the Kerry) and very sparse finger food in the lobby wouldn't pass for more than a very very light snack. Clearly a different business model, so maybe the Kerry is a better choice for me.

Final note: if you're going to experiment with a Bloody Mary, warn the customer that it is "Chinese Style" or something. It was kind of resembling a Bloody Mary but it tasted like I was drinking BBQ sauce with some vodka and a stalk of celery. A classic Bloody Mary should be a staple at any high-end bar, and although some variation is acceptable this was too far astray for my taste. Typos on the menu didn't impress, either. Comp me a room and I'll proof-read it for you!

It's one heck of a nice facility. I think it strives to be absolutely the best. It is close but the polish isn't quite there in my honest opinion (IMHO).

Room Tip: I find it hard to believe there is a bad room here. The view... wow.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Jay E
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 18 July 2014

This hotel by far exceeded all of my expectations, from checkin to checkout we were treated wonderfully. We checked in to find a larger than average room. The breakfast was great. Could order from a menu or choose from buffet. The lounge was nice as well. We had some spectacular views. The location was great. I highly recommend this for a stay in Beijing.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank fanfan W
Linda Y, Public Relations Manager at Shangri-La China World Summit Wing, Beijing, responded to this review, 11 August 2014
Dear fanfan W,

Many thanks for choosing to stay at China World Summit Wing during your last visit to Beijing and your feedback on TripAdvisor. It is our pleasure to know that you found the stay experience excellent.

We sincerely look forward to welcoming you again on your next trip to Beijing!

Best regards
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 12 July 2014 via mobile

This hotel is fantastic - I only had one night here but it is high, with great views and good restaurants. Rooms are large and well designed. Restaurants are high quality. Staff greeted me at reception which was quite intimate and personalised and then took me to my room ... I don't really like this growing trend but it is good service.

Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
Linda Y, Public Relations Manager at Shangri-La China World Summit Wing, Beijing, responded to this review, 14 July 2014
Dear BalancedCritic2014,

We really appreciate your having chosen to stay at China World Summit Wing during your trip in Beijing, and your spending time making comments for us. We are delighted to learn that you found the stay experience excellent and sincerely look forward to welcoming you again on your next trip to Beijing!

Best regards