“Was told this is a reward winning restaurant, but my experience disappointed me” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of My Humble House

My Humble House
Ranked #355 of 12,603 Restaurants in Beijing
Cuisines: Chinese, Asian
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Neighbourhood: Tian'anmen / Wangfujing
Rome, Lazio, Italy
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2013

My friend told me it is a really prestigious restaurant; however, I was disappointed by the food. It definitely has a really good and convenient location, especially if you work at the Oriental Plaza or stay at the Grand Hyatt. Service is on average, too. We ordered their signature dishes, but we didn't like it either. The only dish I truly enjoyed was the 'coconut soup thing.' Given it is in China, I think it is very pricey. We (two girls) spent almost 600RMB on all 3 dishes + 1 soup + 1 dessert.

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Stafford, United Kingdom
“Quiet”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2013

Although our meal was very nice and the restaurant is smart, it was very quiet when we visited - only 2 or 3 other tables at 8.00 on a Saturday evening.

Visited March 2013
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Were we there on bad night?”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2013

Not the easiest restaurant to find. Doormen at the Hyatt from whom we asked directions (we weren't staying there) pointed us in the wrong direction. Even when walking in the right direction you need to keep your eyes peeled. It's not an obvious space for a restaurant.

Interesting place, challenging to review. Very modern, hip, but too large to be called a boutique restaurant. Stylish but also cavernous. Lots of space between tables, which is good for intimate conversations, but on a Saturday night when only four tables were occupied, it felt more than a little sad.

I presume the manager had the night off. Loud, wholly inappropriate pop music seemed to be more for the staff's benefit than for the patrons. And midway through our (evening) meal loud drilling started, killing conversation. Come on guys, surely you can do construction work after hours (especially when the restaurant closes so early).

So, on the night we were there, the ambiance left more than a little to be desired. The food, on the other hand, was good. (Manager's night off, chef's night on?) Interesting combinations. Not exactly fusion, but definite creativity in the kitchen. Presentation stylish almost to the point of absurdity (there must have been a sale on dry ice), but you couldn't fault the taste.

Then again, it's not a patch on its daddy in Singapore.

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank sleepysteve
Washington, District of Columbia, United States
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Good on an Expense Account”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 October 2012

My work paid for a group of us to go visit Humble House at Oriental Plaza in Beijing. We ordered the set lunch menu, a 288 RMB, multi-course meal.

Everything was tasty, and artistically-arranged. We had a sweet-and-sour soup that defied conventional experience by arranging for its flavor to be displayed in a clear liquid with items that floated in it rather than sinking or rising to the top. We had a beef and black bean dish which had tender chunks of meat and pepper. We had two crusted large shrimp arranged on a crispy black mat which the waiter said was actually dried kalamari. The dessert was a jelly and sorbet dish, served in a coconut shell floating in a pool of dry ice.

I'm a big eater, and I walked away a little bit peckish after my meal. And 288 RMB for one person is expensive, even in expensive Oriental Plaza in the heart of Beijing. But the food was tasty and a visual treat.

Visited October 2012
1 Thank Anthony_A_L
Miami
“Great cozy,fun restaurant!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 October 2012

We loved this place! We order the vegetarian menu and more! All the dishes were displayed so beautiful and they were tasteful.This is a restaurant worth going!!Service also great! Upscale restauran, prices great for the great food and desserts were awesome!

1 Thank nabeab