“Great place let done by people working there”
Review of Peking Yard Hostel

Peking Yard Hostel
Ranked #126 of 6,606 Hotels in Beijing
Reviewed 7 July 2013

The rooms were nice and comfortable, and the common area has a great feel, The cost per night is fair and the food served is not bad at all. We ate in on most nights during our 5 days. The area is also good. We did find that most taxis were not willing to take us to the hostel as it was unknown to them. I would suggest finding the name of the nearest subway station before going if you plan to use a taxi.

The bad:

We booked a trip to the great wall, but an oversight on the part of the employees meant we lost our place even though we were among the first to make a booking. I recommend paying early and making sure your name is taken to avoid the same fate.

One of the days we came back to find someone spraying pesticide right next to the windows of our room (and others), and on our laundry which was drying outside. The smell was terrible and certainly not healthy. It was quite a few hours before we could go back to the area.

The web says they take visa/mastercard nut this is not the case.

Room Tip: Stay at their sister hostel (peking youth hostel) - easier to find and in a much better part of town
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 2 July 2013

[Disclaimer: This is a friend's review. I'll have to direct you to her if there are questions. :) ]

Stayed here from May 5-8 and May 18. It was very easy to find, just a short walk from the subway station. Lots of cheap places to eat around (try the teriyaki mochi at Cafe 85). This hostel is perfect if you just really want a nice and quiet place to stay in (unlike the sanlitun type party vibe hostel). Plus it looks better in person than in photos! The staff really spends A LOT of time fixing the flowers around. They were also very helpful and friendly (Hi lindsay and friends!!!)! They assisted me in booking train tickets going to Tianshui. I didn't mind paying the service fee (would've spent around the same if I did it myself anyway, with the added risk of being lost/buying the wrong ones). I was also able to refund my payment for the extra night I mistakenly booked. They cleaned our 6-bed room every afternoon. (Again, unlike other hostels.)

Also, this hostel is perfect for those who plan to travel around China. They allow you to leave a few pieces of your luggage, so you wont need to drag them (dirty clothes!) to the next city you're visiting. Just make sure to get them back a few days later!

One thing I'd suggest to them though is that they install bidets in the bathrooms, and put floor rugs by the room door and the bathroom door.

Thanks Peking Yard! Will surely stay here the next time I visit China.

-Kate from the Philippines

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 25 June 2013

First, the location is great. The common area upon arrival is sweet. However, we found out that it is not as perfect as we had hoped.

We got a private room with a bath and paid nearly $90 USD. That is high for a hostel. The website said wifi but that is only in the common area. The speed is pretty weak at best. The common area is not as big as it seems since an entire table for 10 is reserved for staff. If you try to sit there, they will tell you to move. That is not too hostel-like. They are also very picky about bringing in outside food or drink. We were barked at for bringing in a beer. They sell things there at a premium thus the rule. Grrr.

There is no kitchen. It is a fridge and a microwave. So if you want to cook, that is not a good option.

The location was really good but there were lots of other options in that area that might be better for a couple. As a single person who wants a quite place to crash, this may be great.

Room Tip: If you are single, this may be a good option. Although there are other hostels in the area too. As a...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank DoctorJayson
Reviewed 1 June 2013

This was the nicest youth hostel I've ever visited.
Everything from the start makes you feel like home:
- The lovely flowers in the lobby
- The common room with comfy sofas, guitars, guides, books, magazines, ..
- The friendly staff
- The clean rooms
- Comfy beds

Only negative comments: wi-fi is only available in the common lounge and not in the rooms (though this makes the place more "sociable")

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Lilarose1991
Reviewed 26 May 2013

If I had just been led in here with my eyes closed and laid on the mattress, I'd have thought I was in the States. Very soft and definately not from the Concrete Slabs are Us Store like all the other Chinese mattresses. Bonus great sleep because of that. Great shower with hot water and high enough my 5'11" frame didn't have to do a backbend to take a shower. Blow dryers in the room already. a/c works well. Located in a hutong just a short walk to the main road with bank, bakery and two subway stations. Taxi couldn't get all the way down the narrow alley so you will likely need to walk in from the main road but not too great a distance. Very knowledgeable staff. good western breakfast. expensive for a hostel, but probably because it was in Beijing - BUT did I mention the mattresses make up for any complaint I could possibly come up with? Walking distance to Nanluoguxiang shopping area with some great shops - you can't do much bargaining here but it's totally worth going to. not a mall. not the silk market or pearl market. it's an old shopping area in a hutong with a variety of things to choose from - not the same thing from store to store like everywhere else in China. I think I'll stay at Peking Yard Hostel every time I go to Beijing.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 May 2013

We chose this hostel as an alternative to a faceless hotel as I wanted to stay in the hutongs and see a bit more of the backstreets of Bejing. For a hostel, the price is definitely on the high side for a private room and ensuite - the Holiday Inn etc is cheaper. That said, we had no complaints about the hostel - the rooms are clean and have AC and clean towels, and the bathrooms are of a pretty high standard for Beijing.

Only complaint about the hostel - the hutong yard layout means that there is quite a lot of noise as other guests walk past rooms etc, which can be a problem if you are a light sleeper (like my boyfriend). We were woken up at 4am by our amorous neighbours one night.

The communal area is the best part of the hostel - very laid back, with a traditional style hutong roof, lots of couches and comfy chairs, and a very cute cat :-) The staff speak passable English so its easy to get what you want if you don't speak any Chinese. Note that the food at the hostel is relatively expensive by Beijing standards - breakfast and coffee for two is RMB100, which is high for Beijing.

Overall, a good spot and we were happy with our stay.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 May 2013 via mobile

Pros:
+ The communal area is the most relaxed I have seen in 4 months travelling. Loads of comfy sofas, pool table and PC.
+ The rooms have air-con and comfy beds with duvets and pillows.
+ Free luggage storage for two days.

Cons:
- The bathrooms seem clean but they constantly smell of the sewers.
- The wifi doesn't reach across to the rooms over the road.

Breakfast: Not included but great breakfasts available for a reasonable price.

Location: Pretty good. Within a couple of hundred metres of an underground station.

Would I Recommend To Friends?: Definitely.

• Stayed: May 2013
2  Thank Liver_Red