“Good stay”

Peking Yard Hostel
Ranked #129 of 6,473 Hotels in Beijing
“Good stay”
Reviewed 8 September 2013

After looking at many hostels in Beijing, I finally booked a double room here because it was in a hutong, advertised a tour desk, and seemed like a good location (near the metro and walkable to some nightlife). On arrival and throughout, front desk staff were helpful and the communal hangout area comfy. The upstairs garden is pretty and always empty, possibly because wifi is only available in the communal hangout area. My room, at the back of the main hostel building, was clean, spacious, the bed comfy, and near the laundry facility (50 RMB for wash and dry). The only complaint being one lightbulb not working. Although convenient, the breakfast here IS expensive and the coffee served is very small for the price charged. Overall, I was very happy with my stay here. The tour I booked to the Great Wall (to the area beginning with M) was not a tour, it was transportation (pick up, drop off, with lunch and a look at the Birds Nest stadium thrown in), which was a real shame when it could have been so much more.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 29 August 2013

I stayed in the private standard room (shared bathroom) for two nights. The room was tiny but it didn't bother me as it was clean and had A/C. It was across the lane from the main hostel area. Its about a 3 minute walk from the subway. The bathroom were cleaned daily and although they had a slight musty smell, its was fine. The musty smell was probably becuase Beijing is extremely hot and humid in the summer months. The common area was beautiful and very peaceful. A great escape from the hustle and bustle of the city. The food was tasty but a little expensive. Overall, I would stay at this hostel again.

Room Tip: From what I could see, the rooms with ensuits are a lot nicer and bigger and in the main hostel area...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
Singapore
Reviewed 23 July 2013

Stayed in the shared dormitory during my stay at Peking Yard. I didn't make a reservation and was glad that there was an extra bed available when I arrived.

There are 6 beds in the shared dorm that was relatively small, there wasn't much space left if everyone laid their luggages on the ground. However the place is really clean and well maintained. There are lockers provided in the dorms itself too, which came in really handy.

The hostel is well located in the heart of Beijing making sightseeing very convenient. Furthermore, it is quite close to the subway (5 mins walk). It is situated in a hutong(lane) which makes it quieter at night too.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed 17 July 2013

I stayed at a separate quarter and that part of the hostel smelled a little funky - but overall, the place is clean. Good location - close to metro, very accommodating of the 2am arrival, helpful staff who go an extra mile to sort out your queries. Usually taxi drivers are reluctant to drive into the hutong, but it is still easy to find.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
Mainz, Germany
Reviewed 7 July 2013

The rooms were nice and comfortable, and the common area has a great feel, The cost per night is fair and the food served is not bad at all. We ate in on most nights during our 5 days. The area is also good. We did find that most taxis were not willing to take us to the hostel as it was unknown to them. I would suggest finding the name of the nearest subway station before going if you plan to use a taxi.

The bad:

We booked a trip to the great wall, but an oversight on the part of the employees meant we lost our place even though we were among the first to make a booking. I recommend paying early and making sure your name is taken to avoid the same fate.

One of the days we came back to find someone spraying pesticide right next to the windows of our room (and others), and on our laundry which was drying outside. The smell was terrible and certainly not healthy. It was quite a few hours before we could go back to the area.

The web says they take visa/mastercard nut this is not the case.

Room Tip: Stay at their sister hostel (peking youth hostel) - easier to find and in a much better part of town
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Manila
Reviewed 2 July 2013

[Disclaimer: This is a friend's review. I'll have to direct you to her if there are questions. :) ]

Stayed here from May 5-8 and May 18. It was very easy to find, just a short walk from the subway station. Lots of cheap places to eat around (try the teriyaki mochi at Cafe 85). This hostel is perfect if you just really want a nice and quiet place to stay in (unlike the sanlitun type party vibe hostel). Plus it looks better in person than in photos! The staff really spends A LOT of time fixing the flowers around. They were also very helpful and friendly (Hi lindsay and friends!!!)! They assisted me in booking train tickets going to Tianshui. I didn't mind paying the service fee (would've spent around the same if I did it myself anyway, with the added risk of being lost/buying the wrong ones). I was also able to refund my payment for the extra night I mistakenly booked. They cleaned our 6-bed room every afternoon. (Again, unlike other hostels.)

Also, this hostel is perfect for those who plan to travel around China. They allow you to leave a few pieces of your luggage, so you wont need to drag them (dirty clothes!) to the next city you're visiting. Just make sure to get them back a few days later!

One thing I'd suggest to them though is that they install bidets in the bathrooms, and put floor rugs by the room door and the bathroom door.

Thanks Peking Yard! Will surely stay here the next time I visit China.

-Kate from the Philippines

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
Lexington, Kentucky
Reviewed 25 June 2013

First, the location is great. The common area upon arrival is sweet. However, we found out that it is not as perfect as we had hoped.

We got a private room with a bath and paid nearly $90 USD. That is high for a hostel. The website said wifi but that is only in the common area. The speed is pretty weak at best. The common area is not as big as it seems since an entire table for 10 is reserved for staff. If you try to sit there, they will tell you to move. That is not too hostel-like. They are also very picky about bringing in outside food or drink. We were barked at for bringing in a beer. They sell things there at a premium thus the rule. Grrr.

There is no kitchen. It is a fridge and a microwave. So if you want to cook, that is not a good option.

The location was really good but there were lots of other options in that area that might be better for a couple. As a single person who wants a quite place to crash, this may be great.

Room Tip: If you are single, this may be a good option. Although there are other hostels in the area too. As a...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple