“A gem in the heart of Beijing”

Red Wall Garden Hotel
Ranked #17 of 6,483 Hotels in Beijing
Nicosia, Cyprus
“A gem in the heart of Beijing”
Reviewed 27 March 2014

We chose this hotel because we wanted a more traditional feel to our stay in Beijing. This was exactly that. It is beautifully renovated with all the comforts and luxuries you would need and more yet they have managed to preserve the traditional feel and it makes you feel like you are stepping back in time. It offers a wonderful warmth in the chaos of the city. The people are so welcoming and try to help in every way possible. I would definitely go back if I'm ever back in Beijing.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank SVA22
RedWallGarden, General Manager at Red Wall Garden Hotel, responded to this review, 12 April 2014
Dear SVA22,

Thank you very much for taking the time to trip advisor and writing such a positive review about our hotel. We always appreciate this feedback and hope it will encourage fellow trip advisor users to take note.

We are glad you made it home safe to Nicosia and hope to welcome you back to our hotel in Shijia Hutong

Warrmest wishes

Red Wall Garden Hotel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (250)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 23 March 2014

We booked this hotel after seeing its web site. It is a small botique style establishment with fairly good guest rooms. There is a provided breakfast in the small restaurant. As noted by others it is located on a narrow alley, so buses or larger vehicles can not make it to the hotel. All the TV stations are CCTV, no CNN. The main client base is Chinese. There is heat provided by radiators which are centrally controlled by hotel, not individuals in the guest rooms. Our room was roasting hot, and we couldn't turn down the heat. There are better choices for hotels in Beijing.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
RedWallGarden, General Manager at Red Wall Garden Hotel, responded to this review, 24 March 2014
Dear OlympicWest:
Thank you for your review of our boutique hotel! We appreciate your feedback, but certainly strive to better than "ok". My apologies if we missed the mark in your case.
As I pointed out in a previous reply to one of your fellow group members, large busses are simply too big to enter the narrow hutong our hotel is located in. We feel that this is a actually a big plus, as it keeps traffic and noise around the hotel to a minimum.
Our client base is in fact a mix of all different nationalities with only about 30% of them Chinese - part of the boutique experience for us is the "meeting of cultures" at our hotel and we try hard to cater to both our Chinese AND our international guests. As mentioned in my reply to your other group member, the channels we have are pretty much mandated by the local government (one of the English-speaking ones we feature is in fact CNN International, along with HBO, Sports and yes, English CCTV); they are higher up on the dial, you probably just missed them. We are trying to add to this selection, but our request is making its way to Chinese bureaucracy at the moment.
Your point on the heating system is well-taken - like most buildings in Beijing, we have to rely on central heating, which is regulated on a daily basis by our engineering team to bring the room temperature to approximately 20C/68F. Guests can then adjust it further by using the in-room AC to suit personal preference.
We hope to welcome you back to our hotel in the future and will give it our all to "move the needle" from average to wonderful - thanks again for your feedback.
Buckeye, Arizona
Reviewed 22 March 2014

After reading all the reviews of this hotel, I booked this for my group of 12 post-cruise travelers. We were really looking forward to our stay. Fist, it is in the middle of a narrow street and our small bus couldn't make it down the street. We had to get off the bus and walk with our luggage to the hotel. Two of our travelers were walking with the use of aids, and I was surprised to find there were no elevators. While one man was put on the ground floor, the other was put on the third. The language of the girls in the office was limited. We had to call several times to get an additional pillow. EVERYTHING is in Chinese and there are no explanations for anything, and calling the front desk got you nowhere. Everyone had mold in their shower which had a wooden slat floor. There were no mirrors in our room, only the small one in the bathroom. The thermostats are set so you can't go below 17 degrees Celsius which is too hot. If you opened the window, you got the Beijing smog which was terrible. All rooms open to the courtyard which is nothing like the pictures. If someone is in the courtyard and you want to sleep, forget it. No TV in English except for CNN International - everything else is in Chinese. Breakfast is Chinese with the exception of an omelet station. Yes, a small boutique hotel, but especially for a country like China, I would try to find an American chain.

Room Tip: If you have mobility problems and want to stay here, ask for a ground floor.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank nancymcd1954
RedWallGarden, General Manager at Red Wall Garden Hotel, responded to this review, 23 March 2014
Dear nancymcd1954:
Thank you for your review regarding your group's recent stay at Red Wall Garden Hotel. Please accept my apologies, as our hotel's location, service and facilities clearly did not live up to your expectations.
Let me address some of your criticisms for the beneft of other tripadvisor readers.
Our boutique hotel is tucked away in a narrow low-rise street, called a hutong. Your group arrived with a large tour bus that is simply too big to enter this small lane which is why we had arranged for our porters to meet you and assist you with your luggage for the remaining 100 yards to the entrance of the hotel. We were very clear about this with your tour guide and were told that this was not an issue. I am sorry if this information was not properly communicated prior to your arrival.
Red Wall Garden is built in a traditional courtyard style and therefore does not feature elevators. We always do our best to accommodate guests on the ground floor if they so desire, but there are obviously only a limited amount of these rooms available.
Most of our ladies at the front desk are Chinese and it is true that their English ability varies. On occasion things get lost in translation, which is why we provide all guests at check-in with a four-page welcome letter that is available in English, German, Dutch, French and Italian. It contains some useful information about the hotel and Beijing in general. I can vouch for the dedication of our front desk staff and am truly sorry if their efforts came up short in your case.
As you can see from other reviews, our hotel generally gets high marks for its cleanliness, so I am very surprised to read that "everyone had mold in their bathroom". All of the rooms are inspected by a supervisor prior to check-in to ensure standards are met. We are all human and things get missed on occasion, but I have to take exception to this kind of blanket statement.
At the moment, local goverment restrictions prevent us from adding any additional English-speaking channels to our in-room TVs, so we are currently only able to obtain CNN, HBO and CCTV English. I am trying hard to make this happen, but as with so many other tings, we are somewhat at the mercy of Chinese bureaucracy.
Again, my apologies for falling short on so many levels during your stay! Your feedback is appreciated and I will review these points with my team in an effort to improve our boutique hotel.
Greetings to California,
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 21 March 2014

When I travel internationally, I always try to find a place that is unique, indicative of the place I'm visiting, provides great service, and is centrally located. Big Western chain hotels never really live up to that, but the Red Wall Garden hotel definitely hit the mark. The service here has been in the top 2 places in all my travels. Everyone was so helpful with directions, providing subway info on lines/stations, arranging taxi's, restaurants, wake up calls. The hotel is located in a busy hutong down a narrow street, very safe, never felt uneasy about the location. It's about a 12-15min. walk down the main avenue, that has all the upscale stores and restaurants, to Wangfujing Snack Street and Dong Hua Men Night Market. Walked to Dadong restaurant one nite (great peking duck) located in Jinbao place, maybe a 5 min. walk. Same distance to the Dengshikou subway station that connects you to all of Beijing. You won't leave Red Wall Garden raving about the rooms and ammenities, they are basic (bed, bathroom, safe, mini fridge, desk, couch, sidetable), with a very authentic Chinese touch to them, plenty of room inside and the rainfall shower is a nice touch. I do have to say the bed was very comfortable, very cozy. The Wifi was a little flakey in the room I had (2303), however, they had a ethernet cable for a wired connection that worked well for my laptop, and computers on every floor, it just didn't help with my iphone. I'm sure if you get a room close to the access point it won't be a problem. I did not choose to get the breakfast, I thought $20 for breakfast was a little on the expensive side.

Tip: Before arriving, if you don't arrange airport pickup via the hotel, go to the hotel website and print off the page with hotel directions in Mandarine to give to your cab driver. Definitely will make it easier. I'm unsure what the hotel charges to arrange airport pickup but taxi's are easy to get at the airport just follow the signs to the taxi queue. Taxi cab cost to hotel in moderate traffic was $105RMB ($17usd) for two people and took about 50min to an hour.

I would def. recommend this hotel if you're looking for a unique, authentic experience, with a central location, and outstanding service.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
RedWallGarden, General Manager at Red Wall Garden Hotel, responded to this review, 22 March 2014
Dear MGG007:
Thank you for your wonderful feedback regarding your recent stay with us. I took the liberty of sharing your review with the team in the morning meeting and thanked them for a job well done.
You will be happy to hear that we installed six additional wifi access points in the hotel in an effort to eliminate some of the areas where the signal strength can be "flakey". At the reception, our guest services team also has some signal boosters availble that greatly improve the connectivity in the rooms.
Your review contains a great tip for guests travelling by taxi from the airport: Beijing cabbies usually do not speak English and some of them are "directionally challenged", particularly when it comes to locating side streets like "our" Shijia Hutong. On our website, we do provide clear instructions in Chinese on how to reach our boutique hotel - we highly suggest you print them out and take them with you should you opt against our hotel's own pick-up service.
Again, thank you for the praise of our service staff - we all hope to welcome you back to our boutique hotel when you are back in Beijing.
Greetings to Georgia,
Tel mond
Reviewed 20 March 2014

We spend 3 nights in this hotel. It is a small boutique hotel that excels in EVERYTHING: food, installations, clean, location, quietness, service , and above all , sympathy, attitude and approach.
Everything is done on the best side on the best way, even when a situation happened, they show their great attitude how to solve it on the best win-win approach. I am already recommending it to all my friends, if I come back to Beijing, it will be Red Wall!!

2 Thank ArielGol
RedWallGarden, General Manager at Red Wall Garden Hotel, responded to this review, 21 March 2014
Dear ArielGol:
We are so glad you hade a wonderful stay with us!
I am especially proud to read that our team's attitude and eagerness to help was spot on.
We look forward to welcoming you (and your friends) to our boutique hotel and thank you for your glowing endorsement.
Riverside, California
Reviewed 19 March 2014

If you read my other reviews, you'll know I usually am very positive. Most places we eat and stay we've checked out on Tripadvisor, so I typically love to add my positive comments. That was NOT the case here. At the time of our booking, this was the number 1 rated hotel in Beijing. We were traveling at the last minute, so I didn't really have time to do my research. We were extremely disappointed. I have relied on Tripadvisor for years, and this shook my confidence. I found this hotel average at best. Really could not understand how it got such high ratings. The people at the hotel were extremely pleasant and helpful, so service is an A+. However the room was cramped and small. The worse part was the mildew in the bathroom. It is located on an odd little side street, that although we ultimately came to believe was safe, it was very worrisome for two American women traveling alone. Also, you had to walk by the local trash collection site every day to get to the metro. That was less than enchanting. We ended up spending, with taxes, fees and currency conversion, $200 a night. This was way over priced for the quality. In the end, we accepted the Chinese charm we experienced. Again, the people were so nice, we didn't complain. The pick up service from the airport was convenient but more expensive than other drivers for hire. If you are looking for Chinese charm and excellent service, I would recommend trying to negotiate a lower price. It was not a good value. There was no pool or gym. Would not stay here again. Hope they will modernize their bathrooms and adjust their prices.

Room Tip: Ask in advance via email to see photos of the room, and the view from the room you will have. Our vi...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank BnRLovetosail
RedWallGarden, General Manager at Red Wall Garden Hotel, responded to this review, 20 March 2014
DearBnRLovetosail
Thank you for taking the time to share your impressions with the tripadvisor community. Please accept my apologies for our shortcomings. We are very proud of our oveall tripadvisor feedback and see it as an obligation to deliver a product and service commesurate with our rank, which we obviously failed to do in your case.
Let me address your criticism of our location first. Shijia Hutong is one of the last authentic Chinese hutongs (or "traditional lanes") left in the heart of Beijing. It is a quiet tree-lined street and while these little neighborhoods are generally not as well lit as we are used to in the West, I can assure you that this is area is absolutely safe. It is a throwback to what Beijing used to look like and the fact that it has not been gentrified is part of its charme and authenticity.
There is absolutely no excuse however for peeling wallpaper or a "mildewy" smell that you had to encounter in your bathroom. We should have spotted that during our obligatory room inspection and I can only apologize for failing you in this respect.
As you correctly noted, our staff puts their heart and soul into the work and I thank you for giving their efforts an A+; but we are by no means perfect. I would like to invite you back to our boutique hotel in an attempt to improve your only "average" impression. Please e-mail me at stefan@rwghotel.com should your travel plans call for another visit to Beijing.

We thank you and your travel companion for your honest feedback,
Queensland
Reviewed 17 March 2014

We recently stayed at Red Wall Garden, based on reviews from Trip Advisor. The hotel did live up to expectations from the reviews, with lots of positives that included lovely, spacious rooms tastefully decorated in traditional style with furniture to match - all very nice. Bathroom was very clean and with lots of hot water. The bed was the most comfortable we had in China, and apart from early morning risers (guests) noisy walking past, we did not have any sleep disturbed nor any noise from nearby hutong. There was a lovely welcome appetiser pack on our first night with compliments of the staff, a nice touch.

The courtyard area was delightful, and even though it was winter and trees bare, the lanterns were lit each night and they had soft music playing, I felt like I could sit out and read a book and soak in the atmosphere, if time permitted with so much to see in Beijing. The bar area was cosy and very welcoming, and all the staff were lovely and extremely helpful, speaking good English.

Breakfast was just ok, not a great selection of hot food options, especially for vegetarians like myself. More options for Chinese dishes, if you like that, but they could add a couple more western selections for overseas guests who prefer not to, or who do not eat any meat.

Reception staff were informative and provided maps when asked about the area, although there were no maps or tourist information on display at all, anywhere in the hotel, and therefore we were not aware of what options we had aside from our own research into things to do, places to visit, how to get there. Reception could get busy at times too, so it would have been nice to have either a couple of information leaflets displayed, or alternatively a sign stating reception staff happy to impart knowledge when asked. We used the computer available on the first floor or our own Ipad to find out how to get to places, so I think there is a bit of a gap in communication or in helpful tourist chat from staff.

The hotel was very close to local train/subway station a short 2 min walk, and also close to Wanfunjing district, and as we enjoy walking this was a great location for us. We had friends staying at nearby 'modern style' hotel, and we were so pleased we had chosen the Red Wall for a more authentic, charming and character place, it felt much more 'boutique' style and homely and would definitely recommend to others.

Room Tip: Ask for a corner, tucked away room if you are a light sleeper.
2 Thank Deb514
Dear Deb514:
We are happy to report that spring has finally arrived in Beijing and that the courtyard is slowly "coming to life". Thank you for your kind review and spending some time with us during the cold months of the season.
I will relay your suggestions regarding hot vegetarian options for breakfast to our kitchen team. The Chef changes the breakfast selection daily and while China is not known for its meatless cuisine, we do offer quite a few vegetarian choices on our menu. The egg/omelette station is one of your options, but we will of course try to accommodate any dietary restriction, simply let us know.
Our guest services team at the reception has a plethora of information about things to do whilst in Beijing. Most of the staff is from Beijing and they are usually very eager to share information about their hometown with foreign guests. I am very sorry that was not the case with you and I will certainly encourage them to take a more pro-active approach.
We hope you will have a chance to visit us again here in Beijing, hopefully during the warm months.