“Ditto !! "an Oasis in Beijing City Centre"”

Red Wall Garden Hotel
Ranked #17 of 6,474 Hotels in Beijing
Kiama, Australia
“Ditto !! "an Oasis in Beijing City Centre"”
Reviewed 26 May 2014

Not sure what to add to all the positive comments. Close to everything, yes. We loved returning to RWG every day after being 'out there' exploring. Shija Hutong is a lovely tree-lined street, and every day we turned off the main street toward our hotel, sighed 'ahh home'. Staff lovely, helpful (for us, especially Yao). The courtyard was an ideal place to relax every afternoon for drinks, and also for breakfast each day. We had a deluxe room upstairs overlooking the hutong, so this may not be suitable for those with mobility issues or wishing to have courtyard views or balconies; however again, very peaceful. The beds were comfortable, and shower hot & strong -2 things always important for me in a hotel. A couple of small things -this is not a negative -although the hotel is by no means tatty,we thought the whole place may be due for a refresh paint soon, & perhaps renewal of grout in the bathrooms. Carpet up the stairs was also showing a bit of wear. nevertheless, we will definitely recommend RWG.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms upstairs if you have mobility issues.
2 Thank lozmum
RedWallGarden, General Manager at Red Wall Garden Hotel, responded to this review, 29 May 2014
Dear Iozmum,

Thank you very much for your great review and informing fellow travellers. As I say to all our guests we know we are not perfect but we certainly do our best to be. Your observations are absolutely correct and you might have noticed that we we re already working on all the wood work in the courtyard. In fact we have replaced all the wood work around the trees already. In fact the whole courtyard is being upgrades as part of the launch of our newly refurbished restaurant. The carpet on the staircase is also being replaced as of course it does have heavy wear and with the rains it made it a little worse than usual. No excuses of course but items being dealt with. the bathrooms is a program we already started one by one but as the hotel is having such a high occupancy it is taken a little longer than usual. I very much appreciate your observations and bringing this to my attention.

I am glad you made it home safe to Australia and hope you will be able to come back to our hotel in Shijia Hutong.

Robert

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (248)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Playa Hermosa, Costa Rica
Reviewed 26 May 2014

A group of us travel internationally for business/conferences on regular occasions, and we try to NOT stay at the main "Western" hotel selected by the event organizers. The RWG was an excellent find. They are located on a quiet alley ("hutong"), have a charming courtyard where groups can gather for dinner and drinks, and the rooms are all unique - in a good way. The staff knew who we were and set up a table for us every morning. The rooms overlooking the courtyard a quite large, with king beds and sitting areas. Some of the rooms right on the courtyard are 2 stories.

As an additional note: we were all very happy to have placard-waving drivers waiting for us at our various PEK arrival terminals - a very nice service, especially you're fried from 14hrs of flying and see the long taxi lines.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Martin F
Dear Martin,

Thank you for taking the time to write to trip advisor especially as you were there for business. I very much appreciate the fact you wrote about our hotel as we find more and more business travelers enjoy the red wall garden hotel as it suits their needs and the location is ideal.

I remember your group very well and understand the conference went well and hope to see you all again for next year's meeting.

I am glad you made it home safe to Costa Rica certainly a long way from home but I am sure you did not have a cup of chinese tea waiting for you!!

Tel Aviv, Israel
Reviewed 25 May 2014

I stayed at the Red Wall Garden Hotel for 4 nights in May 2014 with a friend. This boutique hotel was wonderful, with gorgeous decor in the rooms, the facilities and courtyard. Our rooms were located on the ground floor facing the courtyard. In the beginning, I was not happy about the location on the ground floor, but it turned out to be very convenient, at the end of the day sipping tea and working on the computer at the tables in the courtyard. The hotel is providing free Wifi and tea facilities in the rooms. My room was not in top shape at arrival, TV did not work, the bathroom door did not close and some insects were coming out of the shower knob. But smiling personnel came to fix TV at 12:30am and the next day the other issues were taken care of. I received a fruit basket with written apology and an offer to upgrade my room. Personnel in the hotel is very nice and made the whole stay even more enjoyable. Breakfast was nice, wide array of Chinese and Western food, and the location of the hotel is fantastic in city center. In a quiet street in the hutongs, the traditional Chinese houses, 3 minutes from a convenient subway station, less than 20 minutes by foot from Tine men square and the Forbidden City, and close by to a lively shopping area and restaurants. We ate the most wonderful Beijing duck on recommendation of the lovely Pennapa and I recommend everybody to eat there: Dadong. We found out later that Michelle Obama and her family had dinner in Dadong when she was in Beijing 2 months ago. We had a wonderful time and hopefully will return.

Dear Honigstein,

Thank you for taking the time in writing such a positive review about our hotel, it is much appreciated. We try very hard and we certainly make mistakes so i am very happy to learn we dealt with this well.

I will certainly will inform pennapa about your kind comments about her and her network of people around the world seems to be growing by the day!

I will post your review on our staff noticeboard as it is such a reward for us all.

I am glad you made it home safe to Tel Aviv and hope we can welcome you back to our hotel soon.

Southern California
Reviewed 23 May 2014

We spent three nights at the RWG Hotel. I chose the hotel from the reviews here on TA and once again.. I was NOT lead astray! Thank you to all of you great reviewers.. which is why I am posting my review! We arrived after check in time, one of our two rooms was not ready, so, they offered us a free drink while we waited and in just a few minutes, we were good to go. I had opted for a "deluxe" room. Although it was quite large and extremely comfortable in every way, facing and indoor "courtyard" room, it WAS up three flights of stairs and had no balcony or even view of their spectacular outdoor courtyard area. I did not see any other rooms, but I saw on the courtyard outskirts rooms with their own little courtyard area, facing the main courtyard and no stairs.. I think if I had it to do over, I would ask for some sort of bacony or view of their courtyard and not so many stairs.
The beds were as expected magnificent. The shower large, hot and great water pressure. They had the little slippers for you and robes.
So, THIS is what was so unusually spectacular, Pennapa! She is the "Host Manager". Well, they can call her what ever they want, but she is amazing! We needed to go early our first morning to the subway station, we didn't know where it was. Late at night, very cool and breezy, she (in heels) walked with us about 1/4+ miles to the stop where we were to get on the next morning so we wouldn't get lost. She pointed us in the direction of the night market and she headed back as we set out for the night market. When we arrived back at our hotel, very late, there was the note and a beautiful pair of apples on our counter. I had also asked her ahead of time to arrange for us an English speaking guide just to guide us through the Forbidden City. She arranged the BEST guide for that (in case you want her to do the same for you, it was "Miss Kim").
We opted for the free transport to the airport upon our return and their driver was there to get us very early, on time and promptly.
The breakfast (buffet) was one of the best we have ever had included in the room price any where in the world.. really!
The hotel is down a quiet hutong street.. so unobtrusive, and yet SO close to some night shopping and so on. We LOVED our stay here and hope to return some day!

Room Tip: Not sure the "deluxe" rooms are worth it as they are on the third floor. Ask for a room o...
1 Thank Glenda P
Dear Glenda,

When i read your review and learnt what Pennapa did it makes me feel very proud to be part of the team there. I am so happy you have taken the time to write about that experience and inform fellow trip advisor users as we do strive to give excellent customer service even though we know we are not always perfect but this simple confirms that we do strive to be perfect!!

I am glad you enjoyed our breakfast and you will be pleased to know the "live" noodle kitchen in the courtyard will open soon for when you get back from a heavy day off sightseeing!!!

I note your observations about the rooms. Everybody seems to have their own preference. The courtyard rooms are very popular but are at a premium as a result but we only have 40 rooms so the sooner one books the better.

I am glad you got home safe to southern california and once again thank you for writing this review.

Wilmington, Delaware
Reviewed 20 May 2014

Anything I could write seems redundant of the many positive comments already here. It would be hard to choose the best feature of this unusual hotel, whether the physical facility or the staff. OK, the staff: Those with whom we had the most contact -- Pennapa, Candie and Bonnie (Bunny? -- sorry, not sure) had the most genuinely caring attitude imaginable. Small requests such as, "Could I please have four envelopes?" got instant attention, and at one point Bonnie and Candie generously juggled an impromptu Chinese calligraphy lesson for my wife with their other duties. Wonderful people. As for the hotel itself: While technically a small property, it certainly does not feel that way. The interior spaces, courtyard, and our room (a "premier deluxe") were gracious and spacious. The place has a definite feel to it, one of elegance and informality at once, definitely a welcoming end to hard days of tramping around the city. To our surprise and delight, the excellent restaurant does not close until 11 p.m. Having booked three nights directly, we were eligible for a very welcome and well-run airport pick up service. We were just delighted. Thank you, Red Wall Garden. You are doing a great job. We miss you!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear David,

We miss you also! Thank you for taking the time to write the review and especially highlighting our staff and inform fellow Trip advisor users. I will certainly mention the review to the people you mentioned and will post your review on our noticeboard .

I am also pleased to note that you enjoyed your meals with us. We are just about to launch our new menu and hope to get even better with more varieties and noodles prepared and cooked in from of you in the courtyard.

I am glad you got home safe to Wilimington and hope you are continuing to practice calligraphy .

Warmest wishes from all of us at the hotel ( in particular Boonie, Candy and Pennapa!)

Cork
Reviewed 18 May 2014

We have just returned from a visit to China. In Beijing we stayed at the Red Wall Garden boutique hotel for 4 nights and really enjoyed it. The location in a traditional Hutong is near a subway station which gives access to many parts of Beijing. It is also within walking distance of The Forbidden City, Tien an Men Square and one of the main shopping streets. We were met at the airport as agreed by the hotel ( even though our flight was an hour late) -- this was so welcome after a long flight from London. To avail of this you need to book directly with the hotel. Our room overlooked the courtyard -- it was so nice. The beds were amazing -- so comfortable and cosy. Shower was great with plenty of hot water. Even though situated in a busy Hutong, the hotel is very quiet at night. Breakfast was included in our package and included plenty of Chinese and Western food. I loved the fresh bread and omelettes made to taste. Thanks to all the staff ( most of whom spoke some English) who were so helpful. Pennapa, Coco, Bonnie and the ever smiling waitress Yao-- to mention a few. Would recommend without hesitation.

Room Tip: Room overlooking courtyard.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank EMOCS
Dear Eileen,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a positive review as a senior contributor on Trip Advisor. Reviews like yours are so appreciated by all the people at the hotel and the people mentioned will be even more proud.

I am glad you made it home safe to Cork and do hope to be able to welcome you back to our boutique hotel soon. Yao, Pennapa, boonie all say hello to you…..

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 18 May 2014

We spent 3 nights here in May 2014 and were impressed by the generous size of our room and the beautiful wooden furniture and stylish furnishings. We had a massive day bed covered with cushions in addition to two comfortable arm chairs and our sleeping bed.
The old style wooden bath tub with a shower over it was lovely.
The only downside was the wifi - which dropped out frequently and was hard to connect to.
The breakfast choices were plentiful, especially the Chinese options (e.g. a variety of cooked meats with vegetables, dumplings, pork buns, black fungus with vinegar). We started consuming what we would normally eat for dinner at breakfast time because the food was that tasty!
The courtyard was peaceful; it was hard to believe that we were in the middle of a busy hutong.
We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Emmybean,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a positive review about our boutique hotel in Beijing and inform fellow trip advisor users. You might also be pleased to know we are soon launching our new courtyard bistro menu with the noodle kitchen in the courtyard almost completed!

We know we are not always perfect but we certainly strive to be but your 5 star evaluation is much appreciated.

I do hope to be able to welcome you back soon to the Red Wall Garden hotel