“amazing service and excellent accomodations”

Red Wall Garden Hotel
Ranked #18 of 6,565 Hotels in Beijing
Reviewed 7 July 2014

I was traveling to China for the first time by myself and through all the great recommendations, decided to stay at the Red Wall Garden Hotel. When I arrived, the ladies who worked behind the counter were so nice and came to know me by my first name almost instantly. Any questions I had about what to do or where to go, they were so informative and helpful. The room was so nice and it did not feel like I was staying in a hotel, it felt more like staying in someones home! The garden area in the middle of the hotel, is such a nice place to eat, have a drink or just hang out! I would definitely stay at this hotel again and would recommend this hotel to anyone I knew traveling to Beijing! It is also a very close walk to the metro and only a few metro stops from all that is to see in Beijing! If you are really adventurous, you can choose to use the bikes for free from the hotel, a good touch!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank kaitlin g
RedWallGarden, General Manager at Red Wall Garden Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 July 2014

Dear Kaitlin,

Thank you very much for writing such a positive review about our hotel and especially about our staff. It is very much appreciated.

We do try to create a home away from home so we are happy that we ached that goal with you.

I hope to be able to welcome you back "home" in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 6 July 2014

...More like staying in a large home..rooms arranged around a courtyard.Hearing birds singing outside in the courtyard in the morning and the small contained and secure feel of the place are very welcome in the middle of a city like Beijing. The food was good and the service was very good. Staff arranged a 'driver'/taxi on a couple of the days of our visit. It was an excellent way to see Bejing ( having been there 13 years earlier with a small tour group).

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank ABQMiMi

Dear ABQmimi,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write to trip advisor and inform fellow travelers. As a returning guest to beijing I am very happy to hear that you enjoyed our hotel and that you felt at home in a comfortable way.

I must point out however that we get many business guests also diue to our location and because they feel at home and we do have all the facilities in order to do business in china.

I am glad you made it home safe to Albuquerque ( phew hope I spelled that write) or just New Mexico !

Warmest wishes

Reviewed 5 July 2014

There are a lot of good things to be said about this hotel. First of all it is BEAUTIFUL. There are no words to describe the feeling of coming back to this hotel in the hutongs after a busy day in Beijing. It is like heaven! The tranquil little street, the peaceful inner yard, the great design - it is just great! And the location is perfect, with walking distance to almost everything.

However, there is one reason for why I cannot give this hotel more than a four, and that is the lack of fitness facilities. Having a proper gym is really important when you travel for work!

At Red Wall Garden there was one hotel room turned into gym, but it was really bad with only one pair of dumbbells and a big bed in the middle of the room. It was honestly the worst hotel gym I have ever visited! See photo.

At their website it said that it was also possible to pay and work out at a nearby gym, and the reception gave us directions how to get there. But when we got there, there was no gym. It was closed down. See photo.

The reception did not believe us until we showed the photo, and even then they did not apologize for giving out misleading information and sending us there.

So I would not recommend the hotel if you are like me, a modern business woman, and like to work out when you travel. But otherwise the hotel is really good.

... And who knows, perhaps they will fix the gym one day. Considering how great everything else is, it would be really easy to buy a few more pairs of dumbbells, throw out the bed, fix the lighting, and make a small, but functioning gym.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business

Dear Resmama,

Thank you very much for taking the time in writing such a positive review about our hotel it is very much appreciated. I have taken note of your comment about the gym at our place. I admit that the GYM is very simple but i was horrified to learn that we sent you to a GYM which was closed. This is the first time I heard of this and i will investigate immediately. I apologize for this mistake which is unacceptable.

We know we are not always perfect but we certainly strive to be so your comment is very much taken in the vein that we must improve on this.

Overall I am glad however that you enjoyed your stay and that you made it home safe to Stockholm. I do hope to be able to welcome you back and i can assure you we will be able to take you to the best gym in town.....

Warmnest wishes

Reviewed 4 July 2014

We spent a lovely 4 days at this small, boutique hotel. The room was spacious, the bathroom was adequate. The room was very quiet and the bed very comfortable. The hotel staff was outstanding. They were helpful, easy to understand and willing to help in whatever way they could. We enjoyed coming back to the hotel after long days of sightseeing. The hotel is in a great neighborhood, easy to walk to restaurants, the night food market and shopping.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank indigo10_10

Dear Indigo,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write to Trip Advisor and inform fellow travelers. I am very happy to learn that you enjoyed the hotel and it's location.

You might be interested to note that we have just launched our new menu and noodle kitchen so there is not even a need to leave the hotel after a heavy day of sightseeing.....

I do hope to be able to welcome you back in the not too distant future .

Reviewed 3 July 2014

I stayed in the Red Wall Garden Hotel for four nights while touring in Beijing. Staff are wonderful from the front desk to the restaurant to the housekeeping staff; everyone cares about each guest and it truly shows! No issue is too big or to little to handle with a big smile! There was an issue with our a/c on arrival which was fixed almost immediately. Food service is excellent and special orders for non spicy seasoned food is readily accomodated! The hotel is located in a neighborhood hutong and is very quiet! Beds are great and sleep quality is very high! Highly recommend!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank photoguy66degrees

Dear Photoguy66,

What can i say, but thank you very much for writing such a positive review as a top contributor. It is very much appreciated. i noticed that you have given 5 star at every element of our hotel but obnkly a four star at the top so we will strive to get that 5th star next time!!

I am very happen that you enjoyed the service of our hotel and your review only will continue to push us further. I will certainly put your review on our noticeboard.

I am sorry I did not meet you as i was away on holiday but hopefully there is a next time . I am glad you made it home safe to beautiful Huntington Beach .

Warmest wishes

Robert van Eerde

Reviewed 1 July 2014

We stayed at the Red Wall Garden Hotel last week and it was a fantastic experience. I have been to Beijing many times as I travel there for work, but my husband came with me this time and it was very refreshing to stay in a hotel that wasn’t your normal run of the mill square room in a large hotel where you are just another guest.

The road leading to the hotel was a very narrow old Beijing road and then you come to the hotel, once you walk past reception you are welcomed by a court yard that really is a little oasis. Our room was a premier deluxe and in fact was like having your own house, covering two levels. Our room looked onto the court yard where we enjoyed great food and wine.

It was so nice that it attracted guests who weren’t even staying at the hotel. The staff could not have been friendlier, from the reception staff to the bar staff.

I would definitely recommend this hotel, so you can get a feel of the old Beijing and enjoy a luxury stay at this very unusual and very welcoming hotel.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
RedWallGarden, General Manager at Red Wall Garden Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 July 2014

Dear Jane,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a great review about our hotel in Beijing. The courtyard indeed is a popular oasis in the heart of Beijing and we do try to keep it somewhat of a secret. I hope you enjoyed some fresh noodles there in our newly built courtyard kitchen.

I am sorry I did not meet you as i am currently away from the hotel but it gives great satisfaction knowing that another customer really appreciated our service.

I hope you will both come and stay again wether for business or fun so that we can meet.

warmest wishes

Robert van Eerde

Reviewed 30 June 2014

Booked the hotel in Beijing for a week end stay, flew in from Shanghai and after a delay, landed an hour later than scheduled, the hotel driver was still waiting with our name on a shhet of paper at 01:00.

After about a 40 minute drive we pulled into the hotel, our cases were taken to our rooms and we checked in for two nights.

The room was traditional Chinese, a large bedroom with a comfortable double bed, wardrobe and some drawers, a settee and a couple of chairs.

Bathroom had a big double shower, was very clean, nice towels and all the normal acoutriments,

Breakfast was served in a small dining room with an excellent range of foods, cereals, breads, Chinese, toast etc, a large enough range to cover all tastes, on hot sunny days like we had during our stay, most people ate in the outside quad area.

The staff are all very attentive, nothing is too much trouble for them and they are happy to arrange local tours and trips, we went to The Great Wall, Forbidden City, Tianamin Square, Summer Palace and the Olympic Park.

Had some beautiful roast duck in the Roast Duck famous restaurant and was taught how to make crispy duck pancakes just using chopsticks! Taxi cost for the day we negotiated for RMB 500 for the day.

Taxi ride back to the airport was RMB 250, an excellent price!

This is a great place to stay, clean and tidy, excellent friendly staff and really tasty food.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with traditional wooden Chinese Bath