“A lovely stay...”

Red Wall Garden Hotel
Ranked #19 of 6,568 Hotels in Beijing
Reviewed 11 July 2014

I stayed here back in Feb for 2 nights and had a lovely stay - spacious clean room and good facilities. The only negative would be the wifi which kept dropping out and didn't work at all for several hours one morning so I had to wait for the technician to fix (slight pain as I only had a small window in which to contact family back home via Skype). Otherwise it was a great stay and I would probably return.

Room Tip: All rooms appeared to face a beautiful courtyard - so you can't go wrong!
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank KatrinaLM
RedWallGarden, General Manager at Red Wall Garden Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 July 2014

Dear Katrina,

It was great to have you back at our hotel and that s probably the best compliment one can have. Thank you for taking the time to write to trip advisor and informing fellow travellers about your experience. I do note your comment about the WiFI. We actually upgraded our system last month and we have had a few glitches but generally the wifi is very good now.

I do hope you will come back and not let the wifi incident deter you I can assure you it is not a common problem.

I am glad you made it hoe safe to Melbourne and do contact me when you are due back in this great town.

Robert van Eerde

Write a ReviewReviews (1,370)

Reviewed 9 July 2014

stayed for 3 days on initial arrival to china.. have been in many places before and since in china...this place is sooo lovely! rooms clean, spacious, and no smell of sewerage! outdoor garden area - magnificent. Breakfast buffet was tad expensive but great variety. if you stay for 3 days, you get a free airport pickup, and there's more than 3 days of things to do in Beijing! and its closeness to sights is great.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank chelsea6372

Dear Chelsea,

Thank you for taking the time in writing such a positive review, it is much appreciated. i take your note about breakfast and other travelers might want to book with us directly as breakfast is included and is of best value.

I very much appreciate the review title "impressive" and do hope you will come and visit us again.

Warmest wishes

Reviewed 8 July 2014

A great location, excellent breakfast, clean rooms, very friendly staff! It was a delight to enjoy a cool drink in the courtyard each evening after much sightseeing and/or shopping. And one of the really outstanding 'features' of this hotel was the friendly staff.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank susie300

Dear Suzie,

Thank you for taking the time i writing to trip advisor and inform fellow travelers. I very much aware of the issue of our grout and we are in the middle of a program. we have now covered most of the rooms and in the summer this is generally a bigger issue but we do seem to have this under control. Ia polarize for this incident as there are no excuses.

I do hope to be able to welcome you back in the not too distant future and i am glad tat you made it home safe to finland.

Reviewed 7 July 2014

We stayed here for a few days last month. The room was big and nicely furnished. The bathroom was large and clean but they need to scrub clean the grouting in the shower.

The staff are friendly and helpful.

The breakfast was great, lots of choice and fresh.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank AnanB

Dear AnanB

Thank you so much for taking the time in writing to Tripadvisor and informing fellow travelers about our hotel. Your status as Top contributor makes your review even more worth noting.

Thank you for your comment which was commented in a previous review. we are aware of this issue and a program is in place to change all the bathroom tiles in those rooms which are affected. we seem to have solved most of these issues now but I do understand this is not acceptable.

I hope you will come back to our hotel in Shijia Hutong in the not too distant future

Reviewed 7 July 2014

I was traveling to China for the first time by myself and through all the great recommendations, decided to stay at the Red Wall Garden Hotel. When I arrived, the ladies who worked behind the counter were so nice and came to know me by my first name almost instantly. Any questions I had about what to do or where to go, they were so informative and helpful. The room was so nice and it did not feel like I was staying in a hotel, it felt more like staying in someones home! The garden area in the middle of the hotel, is such a nice place to eat, have a drink or just hang out! I would definitely stay at this hotel again and would recommend this hotel to anyone I knew traveling to Beijing! It is also a very close walk to the metro and only a few metro stops from all that is to see in Beijing! If you are really adventurous, you can choose to use the bikes for free from the hotel, a good touch!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank kaitlin g

Dear Kaitlin,

Thank you very much for writing such a positive review about our hotel and especially about our staff. It is very much appreciated.

We do try to create a home away from home so we are happy that we ached that goal with you.

I hope to be able to welcome you back "home" in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 6 July 2014

...More like staying in a large home..rooms arranged around a courtyard.Hearing birds singing outside in the courtyard in the morning and the small contained and secure feel of the place are very welcome in the middle of a city like Beijing. The food was good and the service was very good. Staff arranged a 'driver'/taxi on a couple of the days of our visit. It was an excellent way to see Bejing ( having been there 13 years earlier with a small tour group).

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank ABQMiMi

Dear ABQmimi,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write to trip advisor and inform fellow travelers. As a returning guest to beijing I am very happy to hear that you enjoyed our hotel and that you felt at home in a comfortable way.

I must point out however that we get many business guests also diue to our location and because they feel at home and we do have all the facilities in order to do business in china.

I am glad you made it home safe to Albuquerque ( phew hope I spelled that write) or just New Mexico !

Warmest wishes

Reviewed 5 July 2014

There are a lot of good things to be said about this hotel. First of all it is BEAUTIFUL. There are no words to describe the feeling of coming back to this hotel in the hutongs after a busy day in Beijing. It is like heaven! The tranquil little street, the peaceful inner yard, the great design - it is just great! And the location is perfect, with walking distance to almost everything.

However, there is one reason for why I cannot give this hotel more than a four, and that is the lack of fitness facilities. Having a proper gym is really important when you travel for work!

At Red Wall Garden there was one hotel room turned into gym, but it was really bad with only one pair of dumbbells and a big bed in the middle of the room. It was honestly the worst hotel gym I have ever visited! See photo.

At their website it said that it was also possible to pay and work out at a nearby gym, and the reception gave us directions how to get there. But when we got there, there was no gym. It was closed down. See photo.

The reception did not believe us until we showed the photo, and even then they did not apologize for giving out misleading information and sending us there.

So I would not recommend the hotel if you are like me, a modern business woman, and like to work out when you travel. But otherwise the hotel is really good.

... And who knows, perhaps they will fix the gym one day. Considering how great everything else is, it would be really easy to buy a few more pairs of dumbbells, throw out the bed, fix the lighting, and make a small, but functioning gym.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business

Dear Resmama,

Thank you very much for taking the time in writing such a positive review about our hotel it is very much appreciated. I have taken note of your comment about the gym at our place. I admit that the GYM is very simple but i was horrified to learn that we sent you to a GYM which was closed. This is the first time I heard of this and i will investigate immediately. I apologize for this mistake which is unacceptable.

We know we are not always perfect but we certainly strive to be so your comment is very much taken in the vein that we must improve on this.

Overall I am glad however that you enjoyed your stay and that you made it home safe to Stockholm. I do hope to be able to welcome you back and i can assure you we will be able to take you to the best gym in town.....

Warmnest wishes