The Orchid Hotel
US$543
US$281
FourSeasons.com
  • Pool
All reviewsapple tvbaochao hutonggarden roommr shi's dumplingsdumpling classshakshukatiny alleynarrow walkwaybell towerlocal phonedrum towerprivate terracehutong areadumpling makingreal beijingwestern amenitiessmall hotel
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 22 October 2011

My husband and I just spent three nights at the Orchid and found it to be perfectly delightful. We stayed in the Lookout room and a Courtyard room and both were great--the Lookout was brighter and more spacious but the Courtyard room was cozy and equally comfortable. We had already spent a few days in Shanghai and two nights in Beijing before arriving at the Orchid, and the Orchid and its location were a welcome respite from the traffic and huge buildings that were ubiquitous elsewhere. The owners and staff were helpful and informative, and the breakfast was great. This is exactly the hotel I would design for myself if I could. If you like style, grace, and good value, stay here!

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank kaf8e
Reviewed 21 October 2011

Lovely room, very clean and tastefully decorated throughout. Breakfast was tasty and filling although the description on the menu exaggerated the quantities somewhat!

Found the memory-foam mattress uncomfortable unfortunately, although I'm sure I'm in the minority on that count. It seemed to take a while to reshape when I changed position.

Great location and just opposite a fantastic dumpling place. Staff were helpful. Taxi service that Joel the owner arranged for us was overpriced though; we later found out that it cost way more than a taxi that we hailed ourselves would have. All in all a pleasant stay.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Moominpapa1987
theorchidbeijing, Owner at The Orchid Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 October 2011

Thanks for taking the time to review your stay at the hotel!
Seems your biggest issue has been with regards to value.. so I think this page and review deserve a bit more time to explain why things are the way they are. The breakfasts are as big as I've chosen to make them, simply for the sake of keeping the average guest happy and perfectly satisfied without needing more. That being said, it is fully up to you as the guest to drink as many cappuccinos and eat as many of our breakfasts as you feel comfortable doing. We won't tell you not to ask for more toast or pay more for it. Choosing this approach as opposed to having a large buffet with everything sitting out endlessly above a small gas flame is a worthy alternative to what most other hotels do. The fact that we actually care what a solid breakfast should look like in the middle of Beijing is likely enough for most people. Next time ask for a double portion. We've been known to occasionally do triple cappuccinos for the odd friendly guest every once and a while.

As for the cost of transportation that we charge, this is something we've floated around for quite some time before settling on anything too pricey or far too cheap. We make it look easy to set up a driver at anyone's quick request but it is more work, and this is in a city that is famously becoming horrible to hail cabs in. The fact that you didn't have to possibly wait on the road for 30 minutes is worth something in our opinion. Again, we are very up front about this as we mention the costs of transportation right on our website, so the assumption is that you can weigh the benefits and choose our transport options only if this is suitable for you. We aren't offended if you'd rather hail a cab to the airport or take the public bus to wall -- in fact we may even help you do that if you approach the front desk the right way and hold your left hand up.

Can't comment on the bed. This is a personal preference for everyone and we feel we've gone the right way for most people. If people tell me the memory foam causes this type of problem I usually advise them to simply move less in their sleep so they won't notice it as much.

Beyond all that, please keep in mind we are not a youth hostel, despite our easygoing manners and lack of name tags. Perhaps our room prices are somewhat deceivingly low if compared with similarly built accommodations or large hotels but I do believe our services, rooms and bar are priced really competitively in our hotel class. However we are not trying to compete with Chinese-style budget hotels, local B&Bs and small Chinese guesthouses. If you aren't sure what we could be doing differently than such places, stay there for a weekend and find out.

Reviewed 19 October 2011

A dream trip with dream accomodations. Located in a hutong so there is plenty of Chiniese "life" and friendly people everywhere. Joel and his staff outdo themselves. Beautiful setting, great breakfasts, close to lots of shopping, restaurants, walks around the lakes, Drum Tower, rickshaw rides and many other attractions. Lots of fun - am 70+ and travel solo. Would stay there anytime. Thank you to Joel and his staff.

Room Tip: Many options - explore them all at the Orchid before you book
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank J M
Reviewed 13 October 2011

The gem of a bed and breakfast! Very comfortable beds, lovely environment and the best breakfast I had ever had in Beijing! But you have to love living in the hutong, if you look for slick then it is not the neighborhood for you, but I was incredibly charmed by the authentic character of the hutong neighborhood with its funky streets, its smells and its typical colorful local merchants. If you like the district, then the Orchid is the perfect place to pick: quiet, pampering, in mint condition, the perfect little oasis amidst the vivid grittiness of this district.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank gioggi123
Reviewed 7 October 2011

My girlfriend and I stayed 3 nights at the Orchid Hotel as part of our Beijing visit. The stay was amazing, hidden deep in the Hutongs you got the experience of the real Beijing but with the benefits of a very comfortable, luxurious, modern, friendly hotel. We stayed in the Yang room which was superb and offered a sun terrace on the roof, a great place to relax with a beer. The owners were incredibly friendly and on hand for any questions or advice and also offered to help with any bookings/reservations. They made us feel very welcome and I need to mention how nice the breakfast was. The hotel was amazing and whiles it may be a little dearer than surrounding hotels I would definitely recommend

Room Tip: I think all rooms will be a good experience
Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple