The Orchid Hotel
US$564
US$361
Travelocity
  • Pool
All reviewsapple tvbaochao hutonggarden roommr shi's dumplingsdumpling classshakshukatiny alleynarrow walkwaybell towerlocal phonedrum towerprivate terracehutong areadumpling makingreal beijingwestern amenitiessmall hotel
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 6 May 2012

The Orchid is in a fabulous location - despite reading Trip Advisor concerns about finding this hotel - the staff are great, the breakfast (included in our tariff) excellent, and the facilities very good. The only problems we had were the much vaunted Apple TV network which stopped working on our second night - and the staff couldn't fix it either - and the standard of cleanliness which could have been better, particularly our bathroom. Otherwise top marks for a great Hutong stay.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Ness58
Reviewed 5 May 2012

This was a great place to stay, service was wonderful. Everyone spoke English and a nice place to eat if you don't want to go out. A little out of the way but I liked being away from the busy streets. Attractions close by, just overall a wonderful little hotel, i will be back again on my next trip to the area.

Room Tip: Liked the Garden Room
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 27 April 2012

The Orchid unashamedly caters for the adventurous traveller (based in a Hutong) but who would still like their western comforts. Luckily, that would be us!

All the positives others have mentioned are true. Baochao Hutong is a great lively spot full of friendly locals who just get on with their lives (contrasted with people who make a living trying to rip off tourists). Particular mention has to go to the window frame making man who worked from day to night without fail! I didn't find the hotel particularly difficult to locate if you follow the directions on the website.

As for the hotel itself, it's a complete contrast to the bustle of the area that it is in. A great place to come back to after a day of walking to relax. As my bf still says, it is the best coffee he had in China. Admittedly, I originally thought the coffee was overpriced until I later found that coffee is even more overpriced everywhere else in China because no one drinks it other than foreigners! Laundry was very reasonable and all the western touches were what made it great - apple tv, wifi, tea maker and tea leaves in the room...

The breakfast which is included comes from a menu with creative choices, all of the ones we had were great. It was fantastic being able to sit outside in the sun on the decked area enjoying breakfast.

Service had no flaws at all in a friendly personal way - Joel, Youngcall and all the girls were great. I wasn't feeling too well towards the end of our stay and so tea with honey and lemon was whipped up for my sore throat.

The one tip I would mention is that I would pay next time for a room not on the main courtyard. The prices are not that different but the rooms facing the main courtyard could be quite noisy depending on your fellow guests.

I will definitely be back - an amazing place in an incredible city.

Stayed: April 2012
1  Thank little_L86
Reviewed 27 April 2012

The location of the hotel is amazing- hidden in a hutong yet close to all the attractions. After a pickup from the airport (arriving at night I would recommend as the hotel may be hard to find in the dark) we were met by frinedly staff and within a few minutes had a great wall tour arranged for the next day. The breakfast is amazing- plenty of options for everyone including vegetarians. We stayed in the lookout room which is fairly large with a nice bathroom. The apple tv had plenty of shows and movies to watch and was just what was needed after a long cold day of sightseeing. At the time of our stay they did not take credit/debit cards however it was easy to bpay the money on checkout. Would recommend to everyone!

Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JenaeM
Reviewed 22 April 2012

I'm here on business where my colleagues have stayed numerous times. Everyone here is extremely friendly and helpful - and being my first trip to Beijing I can't believe how great the neighbourhood is!
I'm staying in the Garden Room, amazing facilities (Apple TV movie network is inspired!), and the decor and layout of the hotel is so charming and cleverly thought out.
I intend to come back to Beijing and ths will be my preferred choice providing one of the 10 rooms is available!
Many thanks for a fantastic experience,
AB