“The bargain is good but be careful of the quality”
Review of Yashow Market Beijing - CLOSED

Yashow Market Beijing
More attraction details
Owner description: Mainly designer's clothes, tailor with a large selection of silk and suit cloths. The market also holds some children's clothes and silk products. Mp3/Mp4-players and other electronic goods, watches, pearls and jewellery, some tea and tea-related stuff, Chinese ornaments and quite a lot of toys.
Reviewed 3 May 2014

This is my second trip to Beijing, also second time to Yashow Market. The price compare to Silk Market definitely here is cheaper, but I end up bought more in Silk Market. I didn't have good experience here for both of my trips, the sale person here not really have good attitude, may be just happened we faced the not good one.

From my opinion, some of the products here look lower quality compare to Silk Market even though both selling fake products. Be careful when you are buying imitation stuff in China, they will tell you the shirts are 100% cotton but when you go back try on, you will know it is not. They will tell you the bag is 100% leather but the leather came off later (I bought two purses during my first trip, the leather came off less than 1 year).

My suggestion is not to buy expensive products in China especially leather and electronic items. The clothes, shoes (non leather), souvenirs are fine. You won't feel much pain even though the products are not good.

Bargain is the must, at least ask for 60% cut and slowly negotiate the price. If they can't give you the price that you wanted, you can go to other stalls, there are many stalls selling same products.

If you want to buy the genuine products, go next to Yashow at Salitun there are many branded shops. Restaurants and cafés are plenty there, is the good hang out place.

1  Thank Valerie C

Reviewed 26 April 2014

Welcome to Beijing, has the smog killed you yet?

Just quick note on things to do since you've probably discovered you can't do Facebook!

Shopping: don't waste your time at any other market than Yashow. It's got everything you'd want to buy. Bargain on everything and start VERY low, as they start VERY high.
Crocs-$4. Custom made cashmere suits, me: $150, Steve with two pairs of pants: $175, Steve custom shirts $15 a piece, roller bag $35, earrings $3, etc. We did not do any electronics. Yashow did not have real jewelry. For suits, go to Sally Tailor on the second floor and talk to Kayla. For handmade duvet cover, third floor in the front left of the market $20 and silk king sheets/duvet/shams $45.

Hae fun!

5  Thank cee33x
Reviewed 21 March 2014

First. The clock foreshadows the whole market....it is broken. The clock outside the South West entrance is one of the few outdoor clocks in the city. It does not work.... As for inside:

If you are claustrophobic at all do not attempt to go in. Stalls on top of stalls on top of stalls. If a fire were to break out, multiple have, you would be hard pressed to find one of the hidden exits.

Merchandise is Middle to low quality and they want you to barter for it. Something as simple as a 4 yuan plastic purse and they want to try to charge you double to see if you will barter.

In the worst part of the city. The Russian area is known for the seedy nature and it does not disappoint. The place does not get many locals due to the attitude of the area.

The only unique items in the shop are low end hair extensions (over priced).

1  Thank Fish_the_Fishcake
Reviewed 16 March 2014

Being a typical bloke I hate shopping but have to confess this was quite good fun.

Having read some scary reviews there was admittedly an element of trepidation as we set out for the place. Being typically-British, we wandered around for an hour scared to look or touch anything - but once we got going we got some good deals, bought loads of stuff - and actually had some fun.

I'm not sure how much of a 'true' market this is. A lot of the same clothes/items appear on many stands and you start to wonder if it is just one outfit i.e. one owner of the whole show. That said, having the same items on many stalls does mean you can say '...but I can get it for X over there..' etc.

In our initial purchase slightly struggled to get my change back - as the guy tried to push us to take something else instead. But remained firm - and calm/polite - and got the change. That was the only slight negative issue.

You need to rehearse/refine your patter before delving in. Our greatest hindrance was our kids pointing to something and saying 'I really like/want that one'. There goes your chance to get a good price! My recommendation on everything would be to say you are just looking and always walk away. Takes another huge chunk off the price - and then we would meander back round to the same stall (seemingly pretending to be uninterested) say 10 minutes later and wrap up a deal for yet a further X% off the price.

When initially looking at things tried to avoid saying the issue was price - otherwise you're rather boxed in - plus likewise when they said 'ok what price' never gave them one. Let them do all the talking down fas much as possible. Let them sell it.

Found prices seemed to start above a normal price you would find in a good quality shop. Best deal was about one-quarter of the original asking price but seemed to be between 25-35% of original price but difficult to compare. At the end of the day things are not big-bucks there. Not sure would have the confidence to buy electrical goods?

Whether worth all the hassle/extra time just to save a relatively small amount (when could be doing something else) is another point - but suppose little difference killing my feet doing this or walking around yet more temples/palaces - and this was quite good fun. Remained polite, tried to crack the odd witty line and enjoyed interacting with people.

...as said..was so good we even went back the following day.

5  Thank DinFrance