“Solid Boutique Hotel In A Very Lively Neighborhood”

Crystal Orange Hotel Beijing Jianguomen
Ranked #689 of 6,565 Hotels in Beijing
Reviewed 11 December 2012

As many have commented today, this is a design boutique hotel that can be difficult to find for taxi drivers. That said, I found service of this hotel to be great. The best thing about the hotel is the neighborhood, which is a hybrid between commercial and residential.

Just a few minutes away from the hotel, you will find all sorts of local restaurants and food stands that sells a variety of food / cuisine. The convinence store right across the hotel is opened 24 hours, which can be a great help when you need a mid night snack.

The only down side is that it can be a far walk to the train station. But the hotel can help you call a taxi where fare is cheap in Western standard.

A solid hotel overall.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family

Reviewed 11 December 2012

As a regular traveler to Beijing and with my usual CBD hotel prices soaring I decided to try what I consider to be more of a budget priced hotel but one which appeared to be modern and well located. No disappointment here. It will probably age quickly but right now the rooms and amenities are good and unlike some other reviews, the service and capability of staff was not an issue. It is in a truly local street I know well and walking distance to subway, Silk Market, China World centre and lots of local dining. It is not in the comfort league of the true 4 & 5 stars nearby but offers value and convenience and a few bicycles if you are so inclined.

I was sufficiently impressed to get them to book me into the related Orange Hotel in Hangzhou where I was headed next. While not exactly the same it was also fine for the price.
For a local treat walk north to the end of the street where you will find a small cafe with spicy lamb skewers being barbecued outside. Order a serve of six delicious sticks and sit inside with a beer and feel like a local - cost equiv to a couple of dollars.

Room Tip: Of course get a non-smoking room.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 17 October 2012

This hotel has the potential to be good if the service was to be drastically improved! Whilst the room is nice, clean and modern - the staff here are very unhelpful!!! No matter what your question is the answer is likely to be "no" or "i don't know". Staff lack knowledge of local surroundings and cannot even provide a recommendation for a good dinner spot. You cannot rely on the hotel staff here to help you in any way whatsoever. The rooms also do not have a information book to let you know of call rates from the hotel, hotel facility information etc. Bottom line - I wouldn't stay here again!!

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 October 2012

This hotel has actually won design awards. The lobby is modern and hip, and the rooms are neither small nor huge, but quite stylish. It is pretty fancy for the price. 'Boutique' is a fairly good description, as the hotel character, but is not a full-service hotel. There are some aspects where it seems more like a budget, hotel, however.

The location is mostly good. It is a bit further from the subway than I would like--maybe a 15 minute stroll, and the alley it is on is prone to mini traffic jams, so not great for getting cabs. A plus of the area is that there are lots of restaurants around, and the alley itself has a few useful shops and a bit of real Beijing character.

There are several classes of room--the quality and design is very similar. Some are slightly larger due to the bay window, and the business room adds a fuller mini-bar and sticks a bathtub in the bay window, which doesn't really excite me. In this case, I would recommend the most basic room available, as they are still nice.

The breakfast at 40 RMB is expensive by Chinese standards, but is huge. It is sort of half Western and half Chinese. Lots of places nearby sell Chinese breads and breakfasts.

The rooms include two small free bottles of water and two small bars of chocolate daily. The mini-bar prices are higher than on the street, but not so bad. A plus was that the room was very quiet, and the beds were firm but soft on top and to me very comfortable.

Lighting has a number of settings--New York for work, Paris for mood lighting, Sleep for off. Once I got used to it, this was a pretty good way to manage numerous lights. The room is brightly lit, and dramatic lighting is an element of design the hotel has gotten mostly right, in my opinion. I didn't have any problems with the heat/air con system.

The big downside:
-The internet connection is abysmally slow in the evenings, almost useless.

Mostly minor drawbacks:
-The first person up in the morning has a very long wait for hot water--it took an hour to get hot one morning, though was generally fine.
-While the front desk resolved problems and were nice, the solutions were not up to international standards. For example, we were upgraded to a room for the first night for no extra charge, but after needed to switch rooms or pay the difference.
-Only one elevator occasionally led to long waits.
-Housekeeping was a bit careless some days during our stay--nothing major, but a bit annoying.
-The carpet in the hallways is a bit grungy.
-It does seem to cater to a younger clientele, but that didn't bother us.
-It can be hard to figure out how to turn off the music that is set to play when entering the room. But we grew attached to it after a few days.

I was a little underwhelmed, but my guests had high standards and were happy with the hotel, so that, combined with a reasonable price for this location in Beijing lead me to give in a 'very good' rating.

Overall, it is a good value for Beijing, and a place I may stay again. It's a good choice if you want a place with a bit of 'wow' factor at a bargain price and can live with the drawbacks.

Room Tip: There is not much difference between the rooms, so a standard room should be fine. The deluxe room...
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 12 October 2012

My husband and I are on day 4 of 6 days at this hotel and are having a great time! The desk staff are very pleasant and helpful and the hotel is very clean and fresh. Our room is very spacious and is made up nicely every day. We enjoy coming back here after a long day of walking and sightseeing; what I love is that we can't hear a thing once we're in our room.

Some have said the bathroom is a little funky but I don't see why. When you enter the bathroom the first area is the toilet area and next to it is a glass wall and door leading to the shower/tub area. The shower is basically the whole floor in front of the tub which is fully tiled in with a drain, and has a wonderful rainfall shower with great pressure. Next to that is a large tub. There is plenty of room for toiletries. And the towels aren't scratchy!

The sink area is in the entrance to the room and is a good size, with a hair dryer, tissues, toothbrushes, comb, soap, nice-smelling hand lotion, and shower caps (does anyone still use shower caps these days? Ha ha, my grandma told me she'd take them home and use them to cover bowls instead of saran wrap...).

The bed is a king and VERY comfortable after a long day, and there is a seating area with a small couch and table by the window. The room is nicely furnished with a modern twist and very spacious. Along the room is low shelving which houses the mini bar and tea/coffee with a kettle. Next to that is a desk and chair. The plug-ins accommodate North American plugs.

Breakfast - I think is good. Okay, it's not high end, but if you're tired of looking for food and eating steamed buns and soy milk on the street in the morning, for 7 bucks you can either eat in the breakfast room on the main floor or have it delivered to your room by filling out a card and hanging it on your door the night before. It includes toast, croissant, or small sandwiches, choice of egg, bacon, fruit, a small salad and yogurt.

We are using the subway like crazy here, which is very easy to understand, and Yong'anli station on Line 1 is an easy 10 minute walk away. Each trip costs about 30 cents! Although it's completely doable, I wouldn't recommend taking the train from the airport, only because there are a lot of stairs in the stations and if you get crowded into a train with baggage, it's just too much stress after a long trip. We took a taxi from the airport to our hotel which cost 79 rmb (less than $13) and the cab driver had no problem getting us to our door from the main road. We printed off a map that included the address in Chinese.

I would highly recommend this hotel for a first-time visitor!

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 September 2012

My family and I stayed here last night and loved it. Considering the location, you will not find a better hotel at this cost in Beijing. I've stayed at several hotels in this price range in the same area, and this is by far the best. Our room was clean and spacious. Sometimes hotels can fool you on trip advisor, but this one is even better than advertised. If you are looking for a hotel in this area, you really should stay here.

The staff here seemed to almost be entirely young, English speaking people. Their English was surprisingly good, and the service was excellent. We were staying there with my mother-in-law, and while there she got really sick. They were more than willing to let us check out of both of our rooms late so that she could stay and rest in the room. The hotel staff member named Justin was really friendly and helpful.

Finding the hotel can be a little tricky so be sure to print a map. Our driver had a really difficult time getting to the hotel during the peak traffic time in Beijing. We actually got out of the car and just walked the last couple of blocks to the hotel. If you are a foreigner, don't be intimidated by the street this hotel is located on. We were a little nervous walking down the street for the first time, but we eventually really liked it. I think you'll actually appreciate the fact that you can get snacks, fruit, and water for the prices the locals pay, not some outrageous foreigner price you'd have to pay one block over.

If you are looking for a hotel in this area and in this price range, give this one a shot. You won't be disappointed. I'll definitely be staying here again when I get back to Beijing.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 August 2012

Saw the hotel from Changan Avenue but there was actually no direct path from the main road. We spent 30 mins looking for driving directions and I checked in at around 3am, but even at this hour the front desk staff was extremely friendly and helpful! Hotel room itself is bigger than business hotels but bathroom is too funky to my liking. Narrow corridors. Didn't dine in the hotel so not sure about the room there. Overall a comfortable place to stay.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends