“A fantastic little boutique hotel in a delightful location.”

Shichahai Shadow Art Performance Hotel
Ranked #58 of 6,474 Hotels in Beijing
Leicester, United Kingdom
“A fantastic little boutique hotel in a delightful location.”
Reviewed 14 October 2011

The Shichahai Shadow Art Performance Hotel is a truly unique hotel, in a great location.

The staff were very friendly throughout our stay, and despite a little confusion regarding an extra bed, they remained courteous throughout. Though all the staff appeared to be speak some English, a few of the staff did have very limited English skills.

We stayed in a twin room, overlooking the entrance to hotel. The hotel kindly provided a free upgrade for our first two nights, while our final two nights, the window seat was easily adapted into a somewhat hard third bed. The room was generally great, though we did have a slight problem with the air-conditioning, as it did not work for an entire night. The staff were however highly apologetic about our slight pickle. The bath was simply enormous, and a lovely treat on our first night, after living with just a shower this past year. As a slight warning, the only English channel on the TV is CCTV News.

The hotel was simply beautiful, with a wealth of character. The central room, or the lounge, was stunning, and the decor throughout was lovely, with particular mention going to the amazing entrance doors. However as noted by another reviewer, the hotel does allow guests to smoke inside. So sadly at times, the smell of cigarettes does creep around the hotel, though hopefully this may change in the near future.

The free breakfast was impressive, with a choice of either Chinese or Western. I tried both, and would personally recommend the Chinese option, as it tends to vary on a daily basis, with a mixture of local delicacies to savour.

The location, within the 'hutong', proved surprisingly useful. With both the surrounding 'hutong' and nearby lake, proving to be wonderful walking material. While a fifteen minute walk to the north, would lead you to either a metro station, or the ring road, offering a direct, and somewhat cheaper taxi route, to both the airport and the 798 Art District, a highly recommended attraction, a fifteen minute walk to the south, leads you to another major road, and a direct taxi route to Sanlitun. A somewhat longer stroll, also brings you to Beihai Park, and the Forbidden City.

Overall I was really impressed with the hotel, and would certainly stay there again. So if you prefer your hotel to have a little character, then why not give it a try.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank t8zzyuk

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Mittagong, Australia
Reviewed 10 October 2011

An excellent hotel from which to share a local experience withing reach off all Beijing attractions. Firstly the staff are fantastic being very courteous and very helpful. Much attention has been given to detail and this hotel is an oasis in the middle of a local chinese community. The bedding in our room was unique yet adequate however access to the bed may be a little difficult for those with mobility problems. Our room did not contain a bath while advertising indicated it would. All amenities and toiletries were of a good standard. The brief Shadow Puppet display is held on Tuesday, Thursday and Sunday evenings was very good. Following the show you are given the opportunity to join the presenters to try your skill and view how the show is presented. Breakfast was simple but adequate. The hotel is within easy walking distance to the lakes and Prince Gongs gardens. However it is a 15 minute walk to the metro system.

My conclusion: if you are looking for a place for a couple of nights to explore the treasures of Beijing from it may not be for you, however if you are seeking a local experience at an easier pace this hotel is for you. I can not thank the young staff enough for the assistance they gave me during my 4 night stay.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank TravelerTrev
feng y, Manager at Shichahai Shadow Art Performance Hotel, responded to this review, 24 August 2012
Dear Guest

We are delighted that you have enjoyed your stay at Shadow Art performance Hotel and really appreciate your wonderful comments and recognition towards our valued staff.
Shadow Art performance Hotel,apart from being a very good value for money hotel strives for a sincere excellent service towards our esteemed guests.
First and foremost thank you for posting your positive feedback about Shadow Art Performance Hotel. Whilst thanking you for your lovely words and praise, you are encouraged to contact us at any time for any help you might need in making any future bookings for your next visit in Beijing. We will surely give our utmost to give you the 5 star service which we constantly strive for.

Yours sincerely
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 7 October 2011

The hotel had a funky layout, friendly staff. The food and the service was good.

The internet connection was available with wifi; but not strong causing connectivity issues. The mattress was not comfortable; too hard. The rest of the room was nicely layed out; modern and clean bathroom.

The hotel allows smoking in the bar sitting area; which is a shame. The smell of smoke then creeps into the very pleasant sitting lounge area where the shadow art performance (very impressive) is done.

The hotel should ban smoking immediately; and this facility would improve.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest

Thank you for your constructive comments. We apologise for being an inconvenience at some stage by not following up your problem with the room promptly.
We want you to know that we value your comments and will take whatever steps are necessary to ensure that such incidents do not happen again in the future.
We really hope we will have the pleasure to have you back at Shadow Art Performance Hotel.

Should you need any assistance from my side, please contact us on shadowarthotel@shichahaitour.com

Best Regards
Fredericton, Canada
Reviewed 1 October 2011

Our family group of 6 stayed in 3 rooms in the hotel. We enjoyed the friendly helpful staff. The complimentary breakfasts were hearty. It was nice to have the choice of Chinese and Western food. The rooms were clean and comfortable. The 15 minute walk through the neighbourhood on the way to the subway added to the experience. The complimentary rickshaw ride through the hutong and the puppet show were fun. We also enjoyed strolling through the nearby park and around the lake. We had good meals at the local restauraunts. The price was affordable. We made an excellent choice in picking this hotel.

Room Tip: Some rooms have wireless internet
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
Dear Guest

We would like to thank you for taking your time to place some comments on our services.We are glad to read we have met all of your expectations and we will keep doing our best so that we can keep improving to please all expectations.
On behalf of all the management and staff at Shadow Art Performance Hotel, we would like to thank you once again for your comments.
Looking forward to hosting you again.

Yours sincerely,
Lyon, France
Reviewed 13 September 2011

I visited Beijing over 10 times in last 2 years for short business trips and tried over 30 different kinds of hotels before: newly built international business hotels, older style hotels, hotels with 100% local customers, cheaper ones, international chain hotels...This time, I had invited a customer for 2 days in Beijing and was looking for an authentic Beijing experience: this was a perfect choice. 1. it is located in the middle of a hutong - old beijing small houses, and its architecture well integrated with the surroundings 2. The decoration, with the theme of Shadow Art and is simply perfect. 3.It is walking distance from restaurants and bars.
However, the place is not convenient for taxis, the breakfast is simple (not buffet type), the staff is not experienced but very friendly.
Looking for authentic experience: ask for a room with a window on the patio, go for dinner in the nearby restaurants on the lakes, when you are in a taxi, give a call to the hotel to guide the driver and be patient...

Room Tip: ask for a room with a window (some dont have any) on the patio
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 August 2011

If you read my earlier review, this is an update to let you know what happened after we complained.

First, I emailed Expedia to let them know of our concerns. They sent a nice reply apologising for the hotel's faults and said they had been trying to contact the manager but she was not available.

I asked to speak to the manager on several occassions and was told she would contact me when she came in to the building. This never happened. So I called the front desk again and was told I should call the manager myself. This would have been easy of the room telephone worked, but it had been blocked. So I asked the reception staff to call her and get her to call me back.

This eventually happened and I explained all the problems we had experienced:

No room reserved for us when we arrived despite a confirmation from the hotel
Arguments over the room booked
Flies, spiders, mosquitoes everywhere
Blocked drain in the shower
No breakfast buffet
No wifi
No desk
No morning newspaper

The manager, Samantha Fang, apologised and asked what she could do. I asked for one night's refund (we had already paid for six nights) and she agreed to contact Expedia to arrange this.

On the morning of departure, the hotel could not refund me the 300 RMB deposit that they had demanded via credit card when we checked in. There ''appeared'' to be a problem at the bank or credit card company. I asked for the refund in cash and was told this was not possible. So again, a phone call to Samantha produced another deeply sincere apology and a promise that it would all be resolved the next day. I will find out at the end of the month if my card has been charged.

So there you have it, a rip-off hotel, ripping off its customers at the last possible moment. In Part 3 of this review I will let you know if I get my money back and if I receive the one night's refund. In the meanwhile, I will write to the Beijing Tourist Authority.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
6 Thank stephencohen
england
Reviewed 30 August 2011

First, on arriving here, the reception staff claimed to have not received my booking that was made with Expedia two months earlier. They then said there was no double bed available and that the hotel was full. We accepted a tiny twin-bedded room, but discovered a much bigger empty room along the corridor. We asked to be moved into that one and were told it was occupied. This was clearly a lie, because there was nothing in the cupboards or closets and there was no sign of any human habitation. After 20 minutes of discussion, we moved into this room and quickly discovered there were other things living there!

Flies, spiders and mosquitos were running riot in the bathroom. I killed 20 flies and asked for some spray to control the rest. I was told that a spray was bad for the air. In Beijing, the air pollution is so bad you are lucky if you can see across the street, so I do not think a fly spray is going to make much difference.

On the 5th day after our manual efforts every morning and evening to control the insects had failed, I insisted that something should be done. We were given a mosquito repellant machine and some smoking coil which made the room smell like a barbeque. The next morning the pesky critters were still there - neither device had worked. The mosquito bite on my hand had now swollen alarmingly.

The booking was for a room with breakfast buffet and free wifi. The wireless router was broken and there was no wifi in the hotel. There was also no breakfast buffet. We got coffee without being asked if we wanted it - neither of us can drink it, and the tea took 20 more minutes to arrive.

There was no hot water in the bathroom on one morning.

The bedroom floor was not vacuumed once during our 6 night stay; chewing gum was stuck there and hair, dead flies and bits of tissue paper were left untouched. The airconditioning unit in the bathroom could not be adjusted - there was a permanent icy blast blowing in which made the bathroom very uncomfortable.

The shower drain was blocked which meant that, when there was hot water, we stood in an ankle deep soup with dead flies, spiders and mosquitoes floating about.

There were no hooks in the bathroom to hang towels or bathrobes. Shampoo was not replaced. The toilet roll was arranged so that it was accessed through a hole in a cupboard door - all very strange.

The hotel says the rooms have a washer-drier. This is untrue. I could not find a washer drier in either of the 2 rooms we saw. There is no desk in the room and no daily newspaper either.

Only one member of staff can speak English. Dealing with the rest is impossible if you cannot speak Mandarin or Cantonese. And even if you can speak Chinese, it won't do you any good - my Chinese partner was just fobbed off all the time.

I booked a private tour to the Great Wall of China with an English speaking driver. When he rang the hotel to confirm the time of the pickup, he was told that I was not staying there! And the front desk staff lost his phone number.

So now we are waiting for hot water, fly killer, and the manager. I will keep you updated, but for the moment, I suggest you look somewhere else for a hotel in the Chinese capital.

Room Tip: book another hotel instead
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank janarobbie
SHADOWART, Manager at Shichahai Shadow Art Performance Hotel, responded to this review, 9 September 2011
Dear guest,

Thank you for leaving us the comment about your stay.
We feel very sad to learn the problems you've pointed out while staying in our hotel.
We've already checked all the problems that you've mentioned, we appreciate your advices and such, and we've already mended to solve the problems. We appreciate your help.
We've been trying hard to launch the business just three months ago, and to cater to international customers. So we feel very very sad that you're not having a good time here. We will try harder to make things better in the future and stick to our vision to bring more comfortable environment and better services to the travellers.
We humbly take all of your advices. And changed things that are not perfect enough in the hotel. And we will do our best to serve. Thank you so much for your advices.

Sincerely yours,