Shichahai Shadow Art Performance Hotel
  • Breakfast included
US$106
US$101
  • Breakfast included
All reviewspuppet showhouhai lakehutong areadumpling makingboutique hotelbars and restaurantschinese arthou haino windowlocal lifereal beijingminute walkbell towerauthentic experiencebeihai parkdaily lifedumplings
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 25 July 2014

Stayed 3 nights in July 2014. Had a first floor room. The location is good: in a hutong in the Shichahai area which borders the Houhai lake area. Easy to walk to the lakes with their restaurants and shopping. Within a short distance either north or south of the hotel are small convenience stores, in the one to the south the woman sells cold beer and chacha sunflower seeds with friendly service.

When I was there, the heat and humidity were both very high outside but all was cool and comfortable in the hotel. Each room has its own temp control. Shower is good and hot water adequate for two people. Design is everywhere in this hotel, a lot of thought and attention was put into the interior and rooms. Very attractive. The front door has card and buzzer access. TV in the room (no international channels). Breakfast is good, not a huge buffet but, rather, a cross between continental and buffet.

While it was generally nice and the staff are great, 3 odd things keep me from rating this hotel higher. Before I list them, I should say that there are more comfortable and convenient but less expensive hotels in Beijing. So, you would choose this one for the location and maybe for a change of pace.

The first thing I noticed in the room was that, just prior to us entering, the staff sprayed some strongly scented perfume - or was it insect control? - in the room, which persisted for days. This was so aggravating! I had such a headache after the first night. Since there were mosquitoes in the lobby but not the room - I think it may have been an insecticide - which I would not mind - it was the scent that was overpowering.

The next odd thing was the lack of places to put luggage for two people. There was a wardrobe good for hanging a few things, but in no way suitable to unpack 3 suitcases onto a few small shelves. So, we lived out of our luggage spread around the room on the floor for the 3 days.

Last, the WiFi! I am grateful there is some WiFi and it is "free" but 1) the hotel uses a very annoying login screen (yet includes no security in the connection) and 2) disconnections happen frequently and inexplicably and require the login procedure again (and again, and again ...). This was odd because one of the WiFi antennas was absolutely right outside my door and I could only connect with the ipad if I sat on the corner of the bed and not move. Maybe this is why there was always a person or two using the WiFi in the lobby. I mention it here so that the hotel management knows that their system is unnecessarily complicated and inconvenient compared to other hotels in Beijing.

Still, I want to say the hotel was nice, the staff very good, the price is high, but there are reasons to stay here if your only other choices are business hotels.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
feng y, Manager at Shichahai Shadow Art Performance Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2014

Dear Gregory D,
Thank you for taking the time to share your impressions with the tripadvisor community. Please accept my apologies for our shortcomings. We are very proud of our overall tripadvisor feedback and see it as an obligation to deliver a product and service commensurate with our rank, which we obviously failed to do in your case.

As you’ve noticed, our hotel is centrally located in the very heart of the city in a very old but residential Hutong. Nothing is far away from here and the metro is 700 meters away which open up the whole city for anyone willing to explore. Our hotel, locates at Pine Street, one of the last authentic Chinese hutongs (or "traditional lanes") left in the heart of Beijing, and is constructed as a redesigned modern courtyard style. Being a Chinese culture based hotel, in addition to the complimentary shadow puppet show we provide to our guests, the interior decoration of each room, unique and distinguishing, has also known as one of our sparkling specialties. To preserve a better local interior residential style, some of our rooms are designed within a smaller space, while for our premium rooms, we’ve added more international elements and overcome the disadvantage of limited space as one of those traditional hutong structure design features.

Our wifi was a little sporadic for one of the days that you were there as we upgraded our wifi system. The interruptions were however very limited but nevertheless annoying, while as our aim is to strive for the best possible service, I am thus so disappointed that we did not assist you well enough with your wifi issue. There are at times up-grating issues with wifi system like any other hotel but as an emergency back up with individual spare routers for rooms as we do understand how important it is to be connected. I will definitely investigate what happened in your situation for which I can only apologize.

At the moment, local goverment restrictions prevent us from adding any additional English-speaking channels to our in-room TVs, so we are currently only able to obtain CNN, HBO and CCTV English. I am trying hard to make this happen, but as with so many other tings, we are somewhat at the mercy of Chinese bureaucracy.

As you can see from other reviews, our hotel generally gets high marks for its cleanliness, so I am very surprised to read the suspicious ‘insecticide overpowering issue’ for that normally we use the non-scent insecticide, whereas in your case the concern, which is rarely raised, is very much possible the perfume left by the former guest. In addition, all of the rooms are inspected at least double times by a supervisor prior to the check-in procedure for the next guest to ensure all standards are met. We are all human and things get missed on occasion, but I have to take exception to this kind of ‘scent issue’, and our senior butler should have been pay more attention on ventilation before next guest’s arrival.

As you know that our hotel offers complimentary shadow art performances three times a week and a free puppet painting class everyday, thus the value of our hotel should not be judged only due to the hardware facilities whereas the cultural background and professional butler services provided by our dedicated hoteliers should be taken into account.

I am glad however that you thought the hotel offered good recommendations and that our service as professional butlers. Again, my apologies for falling short on so many levels during your stay! Your feedback is appreciated and I will review these points with my team in an effort to improve our boutique hotel.

Reviewed 24 July 2014

No complains! Very helpful staff. Excellent location. We couldn't choose better! Near to the lakes area. we walked every night (7!) to a different point of the this tourist area and were delighted of the sights!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Claudiafrommendoza
feng y, General Manager at Shichahai Shadow Art Performance Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 August 2014

Dear Claudiafrommendoza,

Thank you very much for writing such a positive review about our hotel and especially about our staff. It is very much appreciated.

Reviews as yours are the power source for us to seek for the best in us and to achieve the ultimate goal of profession and perfection. You made who we are, and thanks to the positive approvals and your generous compliments, we will never stop shaping ourselves to a better place.

I do hope you will come back to us in a not too distant future to let us impress you with an even better experience.

Best regards from Beijing,
at Shichahai Shadow Art Performance Hotel

Reviewed 10 July 2014

We stayed for a week while visiting Beijing this July.

Pros - Fun location among the hutongs and close to Houhai lake area, cheap bicycle rental, great shadow puppet performances, comprehensive breakfast (although a little repetitive), friendly staff, clean and safe.

Cons - A little hard to find the first time (or two), not great for catching taxis (sometimes they won't come into the alleyways at all), very noisy in the hotel and paper-thin walls, rooms are pretty tiny. Only a few of the staff speak english reasonably well, the others messed up a few of our requests.

It was a good stay, but I think we would look elsewhere next time.

Room Tip: The rooms above the theater area are considerably larger, although probably quite a bit noisier as well. Take your pick...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
feng y, General Manager at Shichahai Shadow Art Performance Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 August 2014

Dear JVerse,

Thank you for your recent feedback. It is with great pleasure that I note a truly fantastic experience. All of us here at Shadow Art Performance Hotel strive to ensure we take care of our honourable guests. The complimentary shadow art performance and puppet painting class together with our professional butler service we provide are what made a memorable stay for you and I am very proud that the entire team were able to exceed your expectations.

Your feedback has already been shared with the entire team here at The Red Wall Garden Hotel. While I feel obligated to declare the 'CONs' you listed for other tripadvisor readers.

As you mentioned above, our hotel locates in an authentic hutong, one of the best preserved vintage area left in Beijing. As you've pointed out that it's perfectly safe to explore folk tales and local culture in these hutongs and for sure, there are so many hidden beauties waiting for you to discover. Whereas the narrowness is known as another outstanding characteristic of hutongs. After all, it won't be flat easy to dig out the true residential stories from 'under grand'. To assist your venture, our butlers provide you a local map with detail instructions and metro guide before your journey. Also, a digital GPS or map on your phone will help indeed.

In addition, as we might mentioned in above responds that in this early summer, we finished a small construction to enforce our sound-proof material in walls to provide our guests an even better sleep quality.

Please do let us know should you decide to travel to Beijing again as we would look forward to welcoming you back again.

Reviewed 8 July 2014

The location is hidden away in this narrow alley way of a neighborhood, but the hotel itself is fantastic. The staff acts like their main priority is you, and they are some of the kindest and most attentive people that I have ever met. It is a small hotel, but that allows them to devote more of their time to each and every one of their customers. There is a very professional and polished atmosphere equal to that of any big name hotel. The decor is simple and elegant with a touch of oriental influence, and I was very excited to see that my room came with a window bench and small table for tea. Although the hotel is not meant to be a source of entertainment, on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays there are Chinese shadow puppet performances by the hotel staff themselves. They are very well done, and at the end they let you play with the puppets. Their breakfasts are a mix of Western and Asian food so you have many delicious options.I have no complaints about this hotel, and I think that anyone would enjoy their stay there.

Room Tip: Some of the rooms on the second floor come with a window bench that over look the lobby. In general the second floor rooms are bigger and nicer although that is not to say that the first floor rooms aren't fantastic.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Kirsten M,

Thank you for taking the time to note a somewhat enjoyable and clearly memorable stay here at Shadow Art Performance Hotel.

I am very pleased to hear that we were able to exceed your expectations and also to let you know that your feedback has already been shared with all the staff. We are all very proud of Shadow Art Performance Hotel and it is always our aim to provide an unparalleled level of service to all our guests.

One again we Thank You and I look forward to Welcoming you back to Shadow Art Performance Hotel hopefully very soon.

Reviewed 5 July 2014

The Shadow Art hotel is a small boutique hotel located in a traditional hutong in Beijing. While it was somewhat hard to find (make sure you get tips from the staff on the exact intersection where you should direct your taxi driver), the upside is that it provides some peace and quiet from the hustle and bustle of the city, while still quite close to the beautiful lake area. The rooms were medium-small, but well-proportioned and very clean. The breakfast was also small compared to large hotel buffets, but still managed to hit on ample Chinese and Western choices.

The staff was extremely accommodating and seemed to work well together, assisting with special requests, including packing us a breakfast to go when we had to leave very early (before the formal breakfast service).

A very unique aspect of the hotel was the Shadow puppet performance that the staff puts on 2-3 times a week. They allow kids to go backstage after the performance and play with the puppets, as well as a chance to paint their own. It was a nice distraction in the midst of all the site seeing.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family

Dear YSFT,

This year, we introduced a complimentary puppet painting class for guests and received an unexpected positive feedback from the 'audience' and even beat our routine performance. Funny to mention, yet, it's true that most of the parents traveling with their kids consider our class a temporary nursery to get a couple of free hours for themselves.

I'm glad to inform you that by the end of this summer, we introduced a brandly new breakfast menu possessing a variety options of exquisite cuisines covering both Chinese and western flavours with recipes presented by our head chef. Fortunately, our breakfast buffet has received a bunch of high-value reviews after the new menu promoted.

In addition, I am in general very proud of the hotel and especially the staff working at the hotel which is very transparent when reading the numerous reviews of fellow trip advisor users. We get more compliments about our staff than anything else.