Tangfu Chinese Culture Hotel Beijing Wangfujing
Ranked #2,656 of 6,473 Hotels in Beijing
Stafford, United Kingdom
“Avoid!!!”
Reviewed 14 October 2013

Hotel is reasonably attractive upon entering lobby area. Some confusion over payment but eventually got sorted. The room was appalling. There was a fire escape onto a balcony that was covered by rusting air con units, neon bulbs and other rubbish. Door was not secure and could not lock the window either. Shower and bed were ok but felt on edge the whole time we were there

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank mitch2828

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 12 August 2013

We stayed at this hotel for ten days in the summer of 2012 and our experience was terrible. First we were given a room that had a funny smell, and we found out that the plumbing under the sink was broken and was repaired with a soda bottle and duct tape! Not exaggerating here. They did change our room at our insistence, but we could not get a non-smoking room. Luckily the cigarette smell was not overwhelming so we stayed.
The staff was not very professional. I put a "Do Not Disturb" sign out, and the cleaning woman entered the room anyway after a few knocks, and I was just getting out of the shower completely naked. I was furious and went to the front desk to complain. A male staff asked whether the person getting out of the shower was a man or a woman. After hearing that it was a man, he dismissed the incident with complete nonchalance! I tried to tell him "Do Not Disturb" meant "Do Not Enter", and he just insisted, "But you are a man, what's the problem?" In the end, no apologies were ever expressed by any of the staff.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these Beijing hotels

Shanghai, China
Reviewed 9 April 2013

We stayed in this hotel for one week in April 2013 during our Easter holidays. The location is ok, there are various bus lines that stop nearby (e.g. lines 特11 and 2), a subway station in walking distance (round 10-15 min), and a traditional Beijing restaurant and a small supermarket right next door. If you like to take a longer stroll, you can even walk through Wangfujing pedestrian zone to the Forbidden City and Tiananmen square.
If you want to experience the glorious Chinese culture (5000 years!) in the sense of a bit run down rooms with dirty walls, dirty floors (the carpets are not cleaned with a vacuum cleaner but they are swept with a brush leaving fluffs of hair etc. around), yellowish water dripping down from the bathroom ceiling, windows that had probably been cleaned while the Great Chairman Mao was still alive, and loud neighbors starting to clear their throats and scream at each other at 6:00 in the morning, this is the place to be! We had to "steal" additional roles of toilet paper from the maid's cart for not to run out of it. The staff was fairly friendly and helpful though. If the rooms were cleaner and the place would be a little less run down, it could really be nice, as it is located in a hutong and is nicely furnished Chinese style.
Nevertheless, oh glorious Chinese culture (5000 years!), you will most probably not see me again - not in this hotel ...

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 November 2012

We've stayed in this hotel for 4 nights in the beginning of October. We decided to use pubic transport to get to it and this was a big mistake. We end up totally lost in a residential area, late in the evening and surounded with people that don't speak english a word of english. We tried to get a taxi, but all the drivers were refusing probably because we were really close to the hotel. Once we arrived the check in was really fast and staff friendly and helpful. Then we experienced the first dissapontment. The room was horrible. Dirty, small, horrible beds. To be honest I was so tired that I just gave up and decided not to complain. Beijing is amazing place, so much to be seen that you really spent several hours in your hotel... only to sleep. It's good 15-20 min. walk to the undeground station. There is a 24/7 supermarket 2 min. away from the hotel. From the bus stop just across the road you can get Bus No.2 that goes direct to the Tiananmen Sq. and The Forbidden City.

If you need more information about this hotel or Beijing please do not be hesitate to contact me! :) We had an amazing trip!

Travel safe!

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
Montreal
Reviewed 6 June 2012

I am writing to tell you about a horrible experience I just had trying to check in to the Chinese Culture Holiday Hotel in Beijing. Everything was good with our reservation, but we were not allowed to check in.

As is the norm in China, the front desk agent asked for our passports at check in. We provided her with colour copies of the passports and colour copies of our chinese visas because our originals were at the Mongolian Embassy, in the process of being filled with a Mongolian Visa, seeing as that is our next stop on our itinerary. Colour copies of these documents have always been sufficient for checking in to hotels, we have done it before, even in China, where the rules could be more severe. We have never had it be a problem before. But this agent made a huge deal about it and refused to see reason, even when we said we would provide her with the original passports in 2 days, when we get them back. We showed her the reciept from the Mongolian Embassy, proving that they had our originals. We asked her to help us, and she was unwilling. We asked to speak to a manager, and she said that he was too busy to talk to us. I have never been faced with such incompetence. I asked what I was supposed to do and she replied "sleep on the street".

We were forced to roam the streets with our luggage, and find an other hotel (which, by the way, gladly accepted our photocopied documents, without even batting an eyelash).

The front desk agent was so rude and unwilling to even try to help us.

Horrible. Ridiculous. Can't believe it.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
6 Thank Thom S
New York City, New York
Reviewed 15 February 2012

I haven't been to a youth hostel but I can imagine that this is kind of what it is like to travel cheaply. I ended up here while on an overnight business stay in Beijing. Cost was way below what I would have expected to pay compared to other hotels near Wangfujing. Since I was checking in at 10pm and leaving at 6AM, I decided to give it a try.

Hotel is decorated in an old Chinese style. One might call it charming. But front desk is small and only staffed with one receptionist. I arrived at 10:00PM and it still took all of 20 minutes just to check in.

Room was very small. Large enough for a double bed, a desk and that is about it. Wall is pretty thin. So I could hear pretty much everything that was happening with both neighbors that night. But internet worked without incident! Hey, that is something right?

Half of the shower door was missing. It took me a good minute to figure that out considering that it was 5AM and I was jet lagged. But since Chinese bathrooms are equipped with with a drain, I guess they don't mind water spilling out. One note of caution: this is a Chinese shower, which means the shower head is only about 5 1/2 feet in height.

Overall, I don't think I will return. If you are in Beijing on a budget and wants to stay in a place with Chinese decor in a Hutong, then give it a shot. Otherwise you should skip it.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business