“Great Hotel”

Ranked #35 of 6,450 Hotels in Beijing
Geelong
“Great Hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2012

We stayed at the Sheraton Beijing Dongcheng in May for 8 nights for a leisure holiday. I was a little dubious about booking this property with some reports stating the hotel was close to Tianammen Square and others stating it was miles away. With taxis being so cheap, we decided to bite the bullet and stay in a bit of luxury for our trip.
We arranged with the hotel prior to arriving their private car. As promised, the driver was waiting in the arrivals hall with our name which made the transition to the hotel after 18 hours of travelling. I had also pre arranged a birthday suprise of cheese, fruit and wine to our room for my husbands birthday which Rose was more than accomodating over the email prior to arriving. She even arranged an early check in with no problems.
The hotel is new, clean, big and has many english fluent staff on hand who are more than happy to assist. I came down with a cold and one of the concierge even ran out to a phamicy at 8pm at night before closing to get me a refil of some medication and was back within 10 minutes!! All I wanted was directions, so the service was terrific.

The Pros:
New & Clean big rooms
Several great restaurants (the buffet is amazing for both breakfast and dinner)
The most amazing day spa and pool area I have seen to date. The facilities are out of this world
Very curtious and helpful staff
Free broadband in the lobby
ATM on site
Subway approx 15 minute walk (which we discovered on day 6!)
Pre-Arranged items arrived in room as arranged

The Cons:
Staff charged my credit card $2000 USD instead of $400 as a security hold which upon questioning, had the hold removed within 3 days.
Was not told there was free internet in the lobby until about 5 days in to our holiday after we had been paying $20 USD each day for in room wi-fi
Strange mouldy smell coming from the locker rooms in the spa area (was off putting when trying ot relax in the steam room and spa)
Miles away from anything (but most things are a taxi ride in Beijing)
On the first day I filled up our enormous tub to relax in to which the water was brown. I emptied it and used the shower for the first 5 days before trying on the 6th day and the water ran clear in the tub (obviously the pipes had not been used for a while) disappointed when I could have used earlier.
Totally Non-English speaking staff in the day spa which made a very interesting start to what was supposed to be a relaxation massage...

All in all, this hotel was amazing. The cons could be easily avoided by educating yourself with the hotel a little better than we did.

Would we stay there again? Most likely, the only concern is the location of this hotel. If you're happy to sit in a taxi for anywhere between 15 minutes and an hour depending on Beijing traffic, then dont hesitate booking here! Taxis were generally under $10 USD even in an hours ride in horrendous traffic to get to the main tourist destinations. The maps state this hotel is 4.5km from forbidden city. This may be true, but definately not walking distance, and in Beijing traffic is much more than 10 minutes!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
Ross G, Hotel Manager at Sheraton Grand Beijing Dongcheng Hotel, responded to this review, 24 July 2012
Dear Reviewer, Thank you so much for taking the time to provide your detailed feedback in relation to your recent experience at Sheraton Beijing Dongcheng Hotel. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay on such a special occasion. Thank you also for your observations on where we can make further improvements and rest assured we will focus our training on each of these areas. We hope we may have an opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel when you next return to Beijing.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Las Vegas, Nevada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2012

We stayed here a month ago and had an amazing time. Love the breakfast buffet, large variety of food, the dumpling is delicious!! Room is very big compared to US standard. Service is great. The only con is the very strong flower scent in the lobby, too strong for me. Overall we had a great experience.

Room Tip: High floor is better, you can see the bird nest!!
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Cecilia J
, Hotel Manager at Sheraton Grand Beijing Dongcheng Hotel, responded to this review, 2 July 2012
Dear reviewer, thank you for staying with Sheraton Beijing Dongcheng Hotel and for sharing your recent experiences. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your time with us.We look forward to welcome you back to the hotel when you next return to Beijing.
Bettendorf, IA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2012

Stayed here for three nights while touring Beijing. Stayed on SPG points, and paid extra points to stay on Club level - well worth the few extra points. Rooms are ultra-modern, very "glitzy." Beds are comfortable; probably the nicest bathrooms we had in a three-week tour. The showerhead is unbelievable - positioned directly overhead - makes you feel as though you are in a gentle waterfall. View was nothing special - Beijing is afflicted with smog. Food options at Club level were excellent some days, so-so at other times. English skills on the part of the staff were highly variable - some conversed easily, others struggled mightily. It was painfully obvious that the Chinese do not drink distilled liquor. Management needs to teach employees in the Club lounge how to make an American-style cocktail. One night my drink had only a thimbleful of liquor, the next it was a full glass of almost pure liquor. Staff were invariably pleasant, friendly, and eager to please, however - their efforts were definitely appreciated.
Our tour guide told us this hotel is actually a little out-of-the-way, but it appears no hotel in Beijing is actually very close to a significant number of tourist sites. Would definitely return to this hotel if I were to return to Beiing.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
Ross G, Hotel Manager at Sheraton Grand Beijing Dongcheng Hotel, responded to this review, 6 June 2012
Dear Reviewer,Thank you so much for choosing to stay at Sheraton Beijing Dongcheng Hotel. We were delighted to receive your positive comments and have shared these with our team. Thank you also for your observations on where we can make further improvements and rest assured we will focus our training on these areas. We look forward to welcome you back to the hotel when you next return to Beijing.
Potomac, Maryland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2012

Stayed at Sheraron Dongcheng for 3 nights in May and thoroughly enjoyed my stay there. The hotel is a very new one, with new and modern facilities all over. Halls, lobbies, rooms and restaurants had excellent decor and clean, maintained extremely well. The building has distinctively modern architechture, in keeping with the trend in Chinese cities.

As an SPG Platinum member, I was upgraded to a suite on the club floor without having to ask. The suite was spacious; tastefully decorated and had modern furniture; with a great view of the city, very clean, with a large bath room with his and hers areas, large modern shower and bath tub. A large dressing area adjoined the bed room and the bath area.

Being on the same floor, I spent quite a bit of time in the lounge and was very impressed witht the helpfulness and friendliness of the lounge staff. A wide range of food and beverage (including wine and other drinks) were served in the lounge during breakfast and evening happy hour, and the staff, again, was great.

Hotel staff was great -- the only exception I experienced was with the concierge staff one day. The individual did not seem to be as engaged and helpful and tried to dismiss my query with a casual answer. Two other days though, the concierge staff was nice and helpful -- so it perhaps was just one person having a bad day.

I only ate at the Chinese Restaurant -- the food was good and service very good. There are two other restaurants -- an Italian and a Japanese. Personally, after traveling for a couple of weeks in SE Asia, I was looking for a coffee shop where casual western food would be available -- but like many Chinese hotels, it did not have anything of that kind.

The hotel is located in the nothern part of the city, a bit far from the center city, and given the traffic in Beijing and what appeared to me a lack of familiarity with this hotel of many taxi drivers, getting back from the city was a bit of a problem several times duing my stay. However, a subway station is not far -- about 12/15 minutes of walk from the hotel-- and one can take it to go to Tien Mien Square and other places in the city easily.

The spa was new and good. I had a massage and it was very good, although a bit on the expensive side.

Overall, this is a great hotel and I plan to return there next July.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
Ross G, Hotel Manager at Sheraton Grand Beijing Dongcheng Hotel, responded to this review, 24 May 2012
Dear Reviewer, We were delighted to receive your kind comments and have shared your feedback with our team. This feedback serves as great encouragement for all our associates to keep striving to provide the highest service level to make our guests’ stay especially memorable. Thank you for choosing to stay at Sheraton Beijing Dongcheng Hotel; we are looking forward to welcome you back in July.
Indianapolis, IN
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2012

Stayed six nights recently on business; platinum Starwood member. Received an immediate upgrade to a very nice, clean suite with a great view. The executive lounge provides a great view and the attendants are very helpful. Breakfast was provided there and it was plentiful, with made-to-order eggs, etc. Very attentive and kind front-desk staff (blanking on the wonderful, European (?) woman's name who checked me in but she was great... as was Ross).

Our meeting went well: good facilities, great AV, great snack food at breaks. No complaints at all.

Italian restaurant was good; Japanese restaurant offered good sushi, but relatively expensive for what you receive and for being in China. Even had room-service pizza and it was quite good.

When you go out of the hotel, make sure to ask the bellman to be very clear with the taxi driver when they tell the driver where you want to go: we were insistently dropped off in the wrong spot and then proceeded to walk for 45 minutes to our dinner reservation. It happened once again, but the walk was only 5-10 minutes in that instance.

Could smell cigarette smoke coming through the vent (I had a non-smoking room), particularly in the restroom, but it wasn't too bothersome and hey... it's China.

I believe my only complaint regards the concierge: I inquired about private day trips with transportation to the Great Wall/Summer Palace as well as one to Tiananmen Square/Forbidden City, etc, before I arrived. I quickly learned that the provider the concierge recommended was twice as expensive as we were able to find through a quick Google search (and the service of these less-expensive private tours was still outstanding: private, spacious Mercedes van, knowledgable tour guide, lunch included, etc .... tour-beijing.com). While I did inquire, I never committed to anything with the concierge. Yet, I received no less than 5 phone calls to my room thereafter, telling me the trip had been confirmed and asking me for my preferred start time. 1-2 calls? Maybe. But not 5 and not two days in a row... twice I was asleep!

Minus the hounding experience from the concierge, I enjoyed a great stay.

Best piece of advice I can provide if you are traveling to Beijing: For $2.99, download the 'Beijing on a Budget' application for your iPhone or iPad from the iTunes store. This app was invaluable for sight-seeing, gaining perspective on the various attractions and lesser-known ones, and even offers a GPS-capability to determine how far away you are/how long and what it will cost by cab. Great app! So glad I found it.

Room Tip: I faced the Olympic stadium and felt I had a good view. The bathroom was giant and very clean. They...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank Wooglin46
Ross G, Hotel Manager at Sheraton Grand Beijing Dongcheng Hotel, responded to this review, 27 July 2012
Dear Reviewer, Thank you so much for taking the time to provide your detailed feedback in relation to your recent experience at Sheraton Beijing Dongcheng Hotel. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay. Thank you also for your observations on where we can make further improvements and rest assured we will focus our training on each of these areas. We hope we may have an opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel when you next return to Beijing.
Hidden Vault
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2012

Mint condition! This place absolutely adores SPG Platinum member. Food is excellent. Happy hour, 5-7 pm, is yummy. You can't ask for any better. They serve a wide variety of choices including free wines and a load of appetizer. Olympic stadium can be seen from the window. The only negative experience I face is a Taxi driver. If you tell them Sheraton Dongcheng even in Chinese, most of them are clueless. Plus, it's extremely hard to find a Taxi at night no matter where you are in the city and a driver tends to overcharge you with a meter. It was up so quickly that you can simply tell by looking at it. Just be careful. I encountered this twice while on my way back to Sheraton Dongcheng.

The rest of my stay is delightful. Thank you.

Room Tip: Try to book a Suite room.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Kittayos
Dear reviewer, thank you for sharing your experience on your stay with us at Sheraton Beijing Dongcheng Hotel.
We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed our facilities and services.
Your kind words have been passed along to our associates as a great reminder of the quality of service we aim to provide to our guests everyday. Thank you again for choosing Sheraton Beijing Dongcheng Hotel. Hope our hotel could always be the home away from home of you in Beijing!
Dalian, China
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2012 via mobile

We thoroughly enjoyed the stay at Sheraton. The room is big and comfortable how ever the bath tub was small. Food was excellent and the staff was friendly. We would definitely stay here again. Strongly recommend it.

Stayed January 2012
Ross G, Hotel Manager at Sheraton Grand Beijing Dongcheng Hotel, responded to this review, 3 May 2012
Dear Reviewer, Thank you for staying at the Sheraton Beijing Dongcheng Hotel and for sharing your kind comments.
We are delighted to hear you will return to us again and we look forward to turning your next visit into another memorable experience.
Stay well,