“I will stay the hotel again”

Sheraton Grand Beijing Dongcheng Hotel
Ranked #30 of 6,449 Hotels in Beijing
Belleville, Illinois
“I will stay the hotel again”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 November 2012

I like Sheraton Beijing Dongcheng Hotel. It has very similar design as at Sheraton Shanghai Hongkou Hotel. From our room, I can see the bird nest in distance with a great view. The room is clean, large, and beautiful. The bed is very comfortable. It was our last night of the China trip. We just wanted a good sleep in a familiar environment before a long flight home. The hotel is on the north third ring road, and it can be convenience to drive to anywhere. However, it may not be easy to get a taxi in Beijing so please take extra time to wait for taxi. Unless you are young and healthy, I do not recommend metro or other public transportation in Beijing because it is too crowded. This hotel just opened one year ago. I think they need more training for their staffs. I had a problem with lost passport in China so I need to pick up a new vise on my replaced passport from Entry/Exit Department before my departure from China. I know that the Entry/Exit Department requires temporary resident certificate from my previous visit. When I checked in the hotel, I had requested it, but I was told to get it when I check out. When I check out, the staff told me that she did not know how to do it and asked me to wait for other staff. The second staff disappeared for 15-20 minute after she talked with me. I did not have time to wait longer so I decided to leave without the certificate to try my luck instead to be late for my departure. The Front Office Manager Cindy Xing came out and told me that I should require it when I checked in. I told her that I did, but I was told to get it when I checked out. Therefore, she asked staff to quickly get the certificate for me. Regardless the problem, I still like Sheraton Beijing Dongcheng Hotel. I think, with training and time, their staffs will be more familiar with their business. I will stay in this hotel again if I go to Beijing.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
Ross G, Hotel Manager at Sheraton Grand Beijing Dongcheng Hotel, responded to this review, 14 November 2012
Dear reviewer,
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at Sheraton Beijing Dongcheng Hotel with us on Trip Advisor.
It is great to hear that our services and facilities to your comfort and left you with good impressions.
At the same time we regret to hear that your passport issue was inconsistent and certainly our Front desk team will benefit from your comments and focus on these areas for further improvement.
Thank you again for sharing your comments. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Stay well,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
philippines
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2012

The hotel looks new, near a wonderful park. The check in was fast and fantastic. Room were big, good bathtub and shower. Beds were big and very comfortable, heavenly. They have the links where you can use the internet. There have Chinese, Japanese, Italian and international Restaurant. It has a good spa that is heavenly. Small drawback is the lack of taxi in that area, so you have to allow more time in waiting. Best mode of cheap transpo in Beijing is the subway, coz anywhere you go cost only 2 Rmb, but the subway entrance is about 8 minutes walk. All in all, a great hotel and I would comeback definitely.

Room Tip: Higher floor afford you a view of Olympic venue.
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank jdchua521
Dear reviewer,
Thank you very much for sharing your pleasant experience at Sheraton Beijing Dongcheng Hotel. We are glad to hear that you had a wonderful stay us.
We look forward to welcome you back to bring you another pleasurable experience with excellent service.
Greenville, North Carolina, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 November 2012

We began a Chamber of Commerce trip to China by spending 3 nights at this hotel in Beijing. It set the bar for other hotels at the top. The rooms were truly wonderful. The star was the breakfast buffet. We could not get over the variety of quality food that was offered. The pastries were our favorites, but the cheeses, smoked fish and the fresh hot dishes were also truly delicious. The excellent service at the Sheraton impressed our entourage as well. My husband and I hadn't stayed at a Sheraton Hotel in years--we now regret missing them and will look forward to visiting Sheraton Hotels in the future if they are up to the standards of the one in Beijing.

Room Tip: I doubt there is a room that isn't high quality there!
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
Ross G, Hotel Manager at Sheraton Grand Beijing Dongcheng Hotel, responded to this review, 11 November 2012
Dear reviewer, we are delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and that your tastebuds were tantalized by our extensive buffet selection…..we hope we have the chance to welcome you back sometime soon….and maybe we can tempt you to also try by our Bene Italian, Miyabi Japanese and Yue Chinese venues on your next visit…thank you once again for your kind words and we will certainly share with our team.

Stay Well,
New Malden, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 November 2012

The Sheraton Dongcheng Beijing was my home for a whole week on my latest business trip. Previously I had always stayed at the Marriott Chaoyang. How I missed it! The Sheraton is distinctly underwhelming. One of the perks of Beijing is great food, everywhere you look. The food at the Sheraton was awful. The Marriott has one of the best in-hotel restaurants anywhere in the world. When I got to my room in the Sheraton, there was a thick layer of dust on the glass shelf above my mini-bar. A couple of days (!) later, it had been perfunctorily wiped, leaving dust in smears. Such a poor indictment of the hotel's attention to detail. The hotel missed my wake-up call completely on one morning. They never even noticed. You can't get a taxi for love or money outside the hotel, and no-one on staff seems remotely bothered that guests are standing in the cold and wind outside their hotel! The location of the Sheraton is dull - you're not within easy reach of anything interesting that I could see. But even all these things pale into insignificance beside the most irritating and disappointing aspect of the Sheraton: hardly any of the staff speak English. I'm not being some colonial example of arrogance here - this is a hotel aimed (at least in part) at Western business travellers. The signage, menus, everything is in English. I wouldn't open a business hotel in London for Chinese business visitors without employing Chinese speakers! The questions which staff did not understand included, "Which floor is the swimming pool on?" and "Will [Company Name] pay for my room?". And I speak clear English, before you ask. It was frustrating every day. If I were picking my own business hotel in Beijing, I certainly wouldn't pick the Sheraton. Sorry.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
Dear reviewer, thank you for taking the time to share your valuable feedback on your recent stay. Whilst we are disappointed to learn that we did not meet your expectations in a number of areas certainly your invaluable comments will benefit us in our growth and service enhancement. I have shared your experiences with our respective teams and will be included in our daily service trainings. Please rest assured that your experiences do not reflect the standards we are striving achieve and we will investigate and remedy our practices to ensure we improve going forward. Please accept our apologies for having missed the opportunity to impress you and we do hope to have an opportunity to welcome you back in the not too distant future so that you may experience our true service standards.
Edmonton, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 November 2012

We stayed at this beautiful new Sheraton Beijing Dongcheng hotel in October 2012 and do not regret our choice at all. Although new we were pleasantly surprised to note that all the staff were very attentive to all our needs and were extremely helpful as and at when needed. Unlike the other hotels that I had stayed in China there was always somebody around who understood enough English to assist us.

The hotel is located in more of a business neighbourhood a little bit away from the city centre but near a subway, however we did not use the subway and preferred to use the Taxi. Very little Taxies serve the hotel probably because it is new and when you do go out remember to get the concierge to write the name/address of the hotel for you in Chinese characters they have a preprinted card, do not forget to take it with you when you go out.

The rooms are large and have a great panoramic view of the Beijing skyline, on a good day you can even see the mountains. We decided on the rooms facing the business district as they were slightly larger. The rooms have an area by the window were there is a chaise lounge and a lovely glass top desk. All plug points allow Chinese as well as European/American type plugs. The beds are usual Sheraton Standard sleepers, we found the pillows so good and you get four of them per bed. The hotel gave us SPG complimentary 6 bottles of water a day so I did not have to look for a supermarket as I usually go through a lot of bottles per day. The TV is large and pictures are crisp, Internet is free if you stay on the SPG floor and relatively fast. I understand that in China you cannot connect on to facebook although I was able to get onto twitter on my phone.

The hotel arranged some private tours for us and we arranged some others by ourselves. Both were very good and you could very much be in control of exactly what you want to do and where you want to go. We were able to visit most of the major attractions in Beijing.

We eat breakfast in the club lounge and had some snacks also in the evenings during happy hour, I must say the choices were relatively and must be one of the better Sheraton lounges I have been in recent times. The club lounge manager Stephanie was particularly nice, always smiling and took time to discuss with us and did offer some good advise to make our stay more enjoyable, Rocky and Puff were also very helpful.

This hotel has some first class facilities, the pool, spa, conference centre and the three restaurants. We did not have time to use these facilities but visited them. However, there was a brunch on Sunday with such lovely selections, they literally had everything; the food was great, the service okay but the price was out of this world. The only question mark we have.

All in all a very good experience and I cannot wait to return to this hotel.

Room Tip: Higher floors preferably facing the Bird Nest Stadium.

Room Tip: The higher floors overlooing the Bird's nest stadium give a lovely paronamic view of Beijing.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
Dear reviewer, Thank you so much for sharing your detailed comments. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay and that you took advantage of many of the hotel facilities. It will be my pleasure to share your feedback with our team and certainly we will take a look at the couple of points you have mentioned for improvement. Hope we have a chance to of service to you again when you are next in Beijing.
Hong Kong
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 November 2012

A new hotel, a bit out of the way for tourism, but OK as a business hotel if you are near the Global Trade Centre. Good sized bedrooms and lovely bathrooms, sometimes a bit noisy with other guests showers...... A little inconsistent in catering - coffee perpetually cold at breakfast, cutlery sometimes there or not! Breakfast food choice and quality is absolutely endless - and then some! Bene italian restaurant was average - carpaccio good, chicken horrible.....

Room Tip: Higher floors views worthwhile
1 Thank HongKongCallisto
Dear reviewer, Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback regarding your recent stay with us. It is a pleasure to hear that both the guest room facilities and the hotel’s convenient location suited your needs and met your expectations. At the same time we regret to hear that your dining experiences were inconsistent and certainly our food and beverage team will benefit from your comments and focus on these areas for further improvement. We certainly will investigate your feedback on the shower noise also. Looking forward to welcome you back again when you next visit Beijing.
Beijing, China
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 October 2012

I have been a Starwood Member and Owner for many years. This was my first trip to Beijing. I did a lot of research and decided to stay at this Sheraton. I'm still at the hotel and have to stay that this place is amazing. All of the staff are very friendling and accommodating with every request. The rooms are wonderful. If you are coming to visit, it is worthwhile booking one of the executive roooms so you can have daily access to the executive lounge. The view of Beijing from the lounger is amazing!!!!!

Want to say a special thank you to Ross, Vincent and the wonderful staff in the executive lounge who have be an amazing help.

Mrs. Heir

Room Tip: Go for an executive suite. You won't regret your decision.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear reviewer, Thank you for taking the time out of your busy Beijing schedule to share your comments. It was a pleasure to meet you and to share some time together. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and your time in exploring the many interesting activities that Beijing has to offer. It will be my pleasure to share your feedback with our Sheraton Club team and we do hope you may have a chance to come back and see us again sometime soon.