“There's a reason I love this property!”

Sheraton Grand Beijing Dongcheng Hotel
Ranked #30 of 6,449 Hotels in Beijing
Bayonne, New Jersey
“There's a reason I love this property!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 September 2013

I have been staying here for the last three years at least twice a year. Although this hotel may be considered off the beaten path, I think it's convenient to everything. It's a short walk to the subway, has two ATM's nearby, several cafe's around the hotel and is by far one of the newer SPG properties. Every time I feel I am treated with the best service possible. I always get upgraded to a suite which is very impressive. It's like having my own apartment in the city. The club lounge offers some of the most delicious items of any SPG property with a wide selection of wines to try. The club lounge staff are so friendly. For example, for my birthday this year they delivered a cake and a bottle of wine with a note signed by all of the staff. It's those small touches that make me loyal to the SPG program. The concierge Limi, was so helpful in helping us organize our school visits throughout Beijing. We had a list of about 15 questions and without hesitation, he answered each and every one of them with a smile. He even provided some helpful travel tips to make getting to each of our meetings easy in addition to making reservations for my friend and I to celebrate my birthday in one of Beijing's coolest restaurants.

Room Tip: Make sure you have the concierge give you more detailed information about getting to the property. A...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Sheraton Dongch... B, Hotel Management Team at Sheraton Grand Beijing Dongcheng Hotel, responded to this review, 10 October 2013
Dear reviewer,
Thank you for staying with us and for posting such a wonderful review on Tripadvisor.
We will share your positive feedback with our team. We consistently strive to provide great and personalized service in an instinctive manner and are happy to learn that the team accommodated this.
We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future and thank you once more for your kind words of appreciation.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Charlotte, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 September 2013

I am a platinum Starwood Preferred Guest member and have stayed at countless Sheratons all around the world. This one was by far the nicest. The concierge staff really made our trip. I don't think our trip could have been half as good without their help. We only had 36 hours in Beijing and they planned our trip so we were able to see and do everything.

The club lounge is the nicest I have seen anywhere. Their breakfasts and dinners were incredible. If you are not a club member, the hotel has great restaurants too! We had Sushi one night at the Japanese restaurant and it was great. Rooms were fantastic. Everything was great. A do-not-miss hotel!

Spa was incredible, and so was the gym. One of China's world championship boxers was there practicing which was really cool! A Gem!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank islandbreeze62
Sheraton Dongch... B, Hotel Management Team at Sheraton Grand Beijing Dongcheng Hotel, responded to this review, 22 September 2013
Dear reviewer,
Thank you for choosing to stay at Sheraton Beijing Dongcheng Hotel and for taking the time to share your experience. We are so delighted to hear that you enjoyed our hotel’s facilities and services and that our hotel team has made a positive difference to your stay experience. This gives us all great encouragement and we certainly hope we may have a chance to welcome you back when you are next in Beijing.
Victoria, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 September 2013

Stayed here five nights on business. Spotless, large well laid out room. Plenty of free bottled water. Excellent staff service. Spoke English well. Great restaurants and great health club and pool. Good location, quiet, clean.

I would definitely stay here again. Short walk to Subway. Starbucks on site (if that's important). Shopping nearby.

Great!

1 Thank MikeVictWW
Sheraton Dongch... B, Hotel Management Team at Sheraton Grand Beijing Dongcheng Hotel, responded to this review, 12 September 2013
Dear reviewer,
Thank you for taking time to post such a wonderful review on Tripadvisor.
With a passion for delighting our guests, it is always pleasing to hear of such an enjoyable experience. We are happy to learn that our facilities and services added to your comfort.
We certainly look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Minnesota
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 September 2013

This is a new hotel. I have stayed now 8 times. The staff seems to have had some difficulty dealing with persons who are not white or European. The staff is extremely disrespectful to Chinese guests who are guests of non-Chinese.

Illustration (March, 2013):

I left a note for my (Chinese) translator/assistant at the front desk. I explained that she should be given a key to my suite so that she could come up to deliver my papers.

The poor girl was in tears when she was told that she could not come up to the room nor would the staff give her the room number. I was at the pool, so I missed the call to the room.

When I got back to the room and realized the assistant was still waiting in the lobby, I rushed to the lobby and asked why my instructions had not been followed. The manager explained that the instructions apparently had not been relayed to the other staff. However, my translator/assistant told me that she overheard them making derogatory remarks about "people who worked for foreigners"

When we went to dinner at Feast, I was served and my guest was ignored.

So, the reviewer who noted a problem of racism at this Sheraton does have a point and hopefully management will address the issue.

(By the way, on my most recent visit, July 2013, there was a new manager -- somebody from Germany or perhaps Holland. He followed me around and asked me whether I needed any help. I was actually surprised since my suite had not been made up and the front desk ASKED be to wait until it was made up)

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor facing east
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Frequent_Traveler_MN
Dear Reveiwer

Thank you also for sharing your comments with us. Although in your first example, our associate was following our standard security procedure regarding access of 3rd parties to guest rooms, your point regarding communication of guest requests and flexibility is well taken and will be shared with our front office team. We will also certainly share your feedback regarding inconsistent service delivery with each of our departments and ensure this experience is not repeated. Thank you once again for kindly sharing your experience. If you wish to discuss further, please do not hesitate to contact our Hotel Manager (Ross Grinter) on ross.grinter@sheraton.com.
pdxdesi
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2013

This hotel is located in a pretty central area of Beijing and is supposedly good for a business traveller. The reception staff was good and upgraded me to a high floor on request - thanks. The room was modern, very neat and comfortable. However apart from the looks of the hotel there were 3 instances where I felt I was not welcome since I did not look White or Chinese.

The first morning I was waiting in the lobby for a colleague to pick me up and was twice questioned about what I was doing in the hotel - I was dressed in formal attire so clearly this was not someone checking on folks who may have wandered in. Second instance was the same evening, when I asked the concierge for restaurant recommendations nearby...the guy in charge essentially said and I quote "the restaurants here will be too expensive for you". Heck I am spending my $$$ staying at the Sheraton and I cant afford a restaurant?! It turns out that was where I had lunch that afternoon! The next day I went down for breakfast to the restaurant on the second floor where I went to order an omelette. So hear is how the conversation went "Me: Can I gen an omelette with tomatoes, onions, peppers please. Cook: it is not convenient, Me: Excuse me, Cook: it is not convenient", Me: what is not convenient, Cook: I cant make now". Next minute a white guy walks up and the cook immediately obliged his request for an omelette.

One might think this may be a communication issue but the above incidents were too far removed from being a language problem. If you are a person of color this place is ***NOT*** for you! This Sheraton will go on the blacklist for recommended hotels in my company.

Room Tip: Stay away from here if you are not White or Chinese.
7 Thank pdxdesi
Sheraton Dongch... B, Hotel Management Team at Sheraton Grand Beijing Dongcheng Hotel, responded to this review, 5 September 2013
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for sharing your recent experience with us. We were very disappointed to learn that we have fallen short of our service standards during your stay. We do apologise for any inconvenience caused. Please rest assured we have taken your feedback very seriously and would like to learn more details if possible regarding your service encounters. It would be greatly appreciated if you could contact our Hotel Manager (Ross Grinter) on (+86) 13811031853 or ross.grinter@sheraton.com at your convenience to further discuss. Warm regards.
Colombo, Sri Lanka
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2013

A lovely hotel, beautifully decorated with flowers, the rooms were nice & comfortable, the Breakfast was excellent, stayed for 2 nights, the Breakfast on both days were very good as there was so much of variety. Western & Chinese & very good taste. Only problem is the language as when we called to Housekeeping for toilet rolls, the person who answered the phone thought we wanted Ice-Cream.(This really happened) the staff though unable to speak english was very courteous. A good stay.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank DilrukshiH
Dear Reviewer, Thank you so much for taking the time to provide your detailed feedback in relation to your recent experience at Sheraton Beijing Dongcheng Hotel. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us.
We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience you encountered during your recent visit. English ability remains an important area of focus for our training efforts and we also hope you may witness an improvement in this area during your next visit.
Hope we have a chance to of service to you again when you are next in Beijing.
Taipei, Taiwan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2013

I stayed at this Sheraton for 3 nights at the end of August. My overall experience is quite good.

Check in: Very speedy and courteous. I asked a few questions which the young lady couldn't immediately answer. She called my room 2 min after I entered my room to follow up, then had housekeeping deliver me a written and complete answer several hours later. I was quite impressed.

Room: Good size and modern with one huge king-size bed and big bathroom (one stall for toilet, one stall for big shower, one round tub). Nice desk area with good connection to USB/power/ADSL. Full-size iron and ironing board in closet. Big flat screen with many channels.

Breakfast: Very good selection of both western and eastern cuisiine of good quality. Dining area is bright, spacious and pleasant. I particularly liked the 4-5 choices of freshly squeezed/pressed juice and the big selection of cheese plate. Service personnel were not particularly attentive, although they would come as long as I caught their attention.

Daily housekeeping: Adequate although not particularly good. I made a pot of coffee on the first night. When I left the next day in the morning and returned in the afternoon, the remaining coffee in the pot was not cleaned out. Two nights in a row my shoes remained exactly how I left them; they were not properly placed by the wall or a corner.

Concierge: Very informative, helpful and friendly, offered good advice on eating options and calling for taxi.

I paid 1200RMB per night - not an extraordinarily good deal but acceptable for a business trip.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
Dear reviewer, Thank you for sharing your detailed review of your recent stay with us. It was so pleasing to hear that both our hotel facilities and guest services left you with such a positive impression. We hope you will be back to see us again soon and we will certainly do our best to provide another comfortable, relaxing and memorable experience for you.