“Hidden gem!”

Ranked #8 of 1,391 Beijing B&B and Inns
Christchurch, New Zealand
“Hidden gem!”
Reviewed 16 September 2013

We had 4 nights here shortly after arriving in Beijing. Luckily we had been sent excellent directions as this hotel is tucked away in the midst of a hutong. This was our first experience of a city hutong stay in a courtyard hotel and we really enjoyed it. Under the capable management of Daniel, his young staff run the place with efficient enthusiasm. Nothing was too much of a problem, from early wake up calls, to train bookings, notes in Chinese for taxi drivers and a birthday cake for my husband which was 'on the house', a lovely touch. The best thing about a place like this is the other travellers you meet and make friends with. We had a great time :) a 10 minute walk gets you to the Metro (Dongsi Station on line 5 and 6). A short taxi ride gets you to Ghost Street, a popular eating area. If you are a vegetarian, the vegetarian restaurant near the Bhuddist Temple is well worth a visit.

Room Tip: We asked for a double room with own toilet and shower, which we got. Most rooms share bathroom facil...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Indonesian first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 September 2013 via mobile

Fly by Knight gets a lot of things right - with a great location in the heart of Beijing, and a small, intimate feel which makes it really easy to meet other travellers and socialise.

A couple of things stopped it being perfect, one being that we rented bikes (all bikes in Beijing are rusting death traps) but that aside one of the bikes chain fell off after four blocks and my friend had to pay to get it repaired. When mentioned to the staff upon our return they said they will make sure it is fixed, but this was a bit too late for us. Also, when asking questions staff could either be unfailingly polite and helpful, or distinctly short and blunt, depending who you got.

Laundry is also pretty expensive, and doubles in price if you need it tumble dried - but you're not told this until you need it dry immediately.

Nevertheless, I did enjoy my stay, with the aircon fully functioning, beds comfortable and atmosphere very laid back - despite being in the middle of the hectic city.

Would recommend for anyone who wants to be central, and avoid the weight of "gap yah" travellers you get in many places.

• Stayed August 2013
Miaoli County, Taiwan
Reviewed 27 August 2013

This is my first time to stay here.Before this,I heard about recommendations about this hostel in Taiwan.During my trip to Beijing,this is a place where I don't feel the city-type of tiredness,the only thing around this hostel is local houses and lanes.I could see and feel the lifestyles of the locals,sometimes have a really nice chat with them.The most thing is the quiet environment.
About the facilities,nothing to complain about.If there's any problem of using anything or something out of order,the only thing is to go reception,where staff's always there,and they'll respond nicely and show how to deal with it.
Sometimes there are courses in the courtyard,and for sure,the guests could join,and for free and fun.
Though it's a little bit of overpriced,definitely,it's worth of the price!
Recommend:Go rooftop and enjoy the views.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
Madrid, Spain
Reviewed 19 August 2013

Along with Kelly’s Courtyard they are the best rated hostels in Beijing, and for a reason! They certainly do not disappoint. You can read my review about Kelly’s Courtyard here.
Fly by knight is located in a nice hutong (Beijing traditional alleyways), not far from the Forbidden City and other sights and well communicated by subway and bus. It was a bit hard to find (as everything in a hutong!).
Once inside, you discover a very nice and courtyard, with its central garden turned into a common area with nice tables and people hanging out.
Rooms are simple, comfortable, clean and air conditioned. In my case, as I chose (and payed for it!) I had a private room with a fully western bathroom (a rarity in a hutong). On my first night I was given an upgrade to a spacious double room, even though my reservation was for a single.
Service was great, with really helpful and willing staff that really helped me out and gave me advice with my trip to Xinjiang (which I would start 3 days after my arrival to Beijing). I asked for train tickets, hotel reservation in Khotan (Taxina hotel, my review should be online soon) and written instructions for the convenience store owner since I wanted to buy a Chinese SIM card with 3G and my mandarin is limited. None of that was a problem for them and it was dealt with in an efficient way and always with a smile.
If the you are trying to decide between Kelly’s Courtyard and Fly By Knight Courtyard, they are both great, but also very different on their feel. To me, Kelly’s Courtyard felt much cozier, with more home feel and more attention to detail. The service was more personal (it is smaller too). However I got the feeling that it was less hostel-like and a bit more hotel-like. It would be my choice if I was staying with my girlfriend.
Fly By Knight is a bit more rugged, more simple, not so luxurious, attention is not so personal as there are more people, but it also feels more laid-back, more hostel-like place in which to meet new people and have a couple of beers. It would be my choice if I was staying with friends.
My stay in Kelly’s Courtyard was in March and Fly By Knight in July. Kelly’s Courtyard may feel more like a hostel in the summer, since it had a great roof top and common area that I guess could be full during the summer months, but that during my stay in March was rather empty.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
Bristol
Reviewed 15 August 2013

I only stayed here for one night but that was enough to tell that it was great. Friendly staff who spoke excellent english and were very helpful. I arrived too early to check in but they still let me use the shower and looked after my stuff while I wandered around Beijing. The beds are comfy and the bathrooms clean. Also the location and building are great. It's a short walk to the subway and there's nice cheap places to eat nearby. They also serve good dumplings and breakfast in the hostel.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Reviewed 5 July 2013 via mobile

Me and my wife stayed for four nights in this courtyard hotel and we had a great experience. The private double room has a very good queen bed and a great shower too. Helpfull staff, nice atmosphere and great location. Recomended!

Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank rgaraffa
London
Reviewed 11 June 2013

Fly By Knight is a great hostel! The renovated courtyard is really gorgeous, the staff are very helpful an the bedding good quality. They also have a resident dog who is the cutest pooch in Beijing! They run an artist exchange programme for writers and artists and as I'm a writer I wrote the following which I thought I'd post on here to give you an idea about the area it is in and the ambiance of the place:

"I arrived into Beijing Zhan just as dusk was setting and by the time I came out of Dong Si metro stop, it was dark and the the busy street was a riot of neon lights, strange but intoxicating food smells competed with the stench of car fumes and cheap clothes shops blasted out pop music.
When I turned into DengCao hutong I felt like I was in a different place. The chaos vanished - the hutong was dark and quiet, the buildings looked ramshackle and the only light emanated from shadowy doorways. I must have looked lost or confused or scared because a nice lady with a very friendly dog asked me what I was looking for. “The Fly By Knight hostel” I said, not expecting her to know, but to my surprise, she knew exactly where it was. Soon I was approaching the huge red door, guarded by two Chinese lions, thinking 'surely this can't be a youth hostel? But it was. The red door opened and I was led into the courtyard, which looks just like something from a Chinese legend. I was staving so after dumping my bags in the dorm, I ventured out into the next hutong for food. It had started to rain so I dived into the first establishment I saw, and found myself in a rather down-at-heel looking cafe. It was empty but for a group of drunken Chinese men sitting round a table and the staff who seemed to be all of one family. I slunk into a seat, watched over by Chairman Mao and shoved the piece of paper that the girl at Fly By Knight had kindly written me into the young waiter's hand. It explained that I didn't eat meat. 'Ok' he said, and walked off. No menus in this place, I was just presented with a huge plate of tofu and tomatoes in a tasty, very orange sauce and some rice (it's the first place you come to if you turn right out of Fly By Knight, pass the old sofa and turn into Lishi Hutong and it's dirt cheap).

In the day time, the hutong looked much less threatening. Locals sat round makeshift tables in the street playing cards, the hatches of the cafes were open serving all manner of fast food and cyclists whizzed up and down on their bicycles and rickshaws. You can peek into the courtyards or down the alleyways and the buildings, though some a little shabby, are not so ramshackle. All around the city, these little alleyways buzz with activity and life; forget that fancy, gilded citadel north of Tiananmen Square, down in the hutong is where you'll find the real Beijing."

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo