“Terrific location in an original hutong neighbourhood”

Royal Phoenix Beijing
Ranked #1,524 of 6,463 Hotels in Beijing
Langley, Canada
“Terrific location in an original hutong neighbourhood”
Reviewed 27 October 2013

Royal Phoenix Hotel is located down a narrow lane in one of the remaining hutongs, an original neighbourhood of mixed residence and business. The hutongs are fast disappearing as modern construction takes over. I selected this hotel for the location in the hutong, also central to the main attractions such as Forbidden City and Tiananmen Square.When I booked it was part of the Best Western chain so I could gain points and also use Best Western gift certificates purchased with my points however I had discovered by chance on trip advisor just a few weeks before our trip, that travelers were reporting that the hotel was no longer part of the BW chain. Funnily enough, I still received an email reminder notification about my booking from BW just the week before our trip! The hotel is modern and has a very grand entry and lobby which seems a little incongruent for the location on the simple narrow hutong lane. I was prepared for what might be a bit of confusion on checkin based on recent trip advisor reviews. Reception staff were friendly and welcoming and spoke English, but, sure enough, did not have record of my reservation! I had written confirmation of the room booked, rate and breakfast inclusions which they copied and then proceeded with the booking. They did not have any king rooms available so put us in the same room category but with two large single beds. Each bed was almost double size so this was just fine for us. The modern, clean room included comfortable seating, a desk area, fridge, coffee and tea making supplies, safe, and four piece bathroom, cable internet; free wifi is only available in the lobby. A little strange that the bathroom tub/shower wall is a large window into the bedroom but there was a vertical blind which we closed. Buffet breakfast was included in our price and was served either in the large dining room or in the lobby. Choices included a mix of Asian and Western food...plenty of good food. We were happy with this choice of hotel.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank banditoo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
  • Turkish first
Devon
Reviewed 17 October 2013

We booked our tour through Dragon Delights a first class company, who did all they could to give us the best time ever in China.
This hotel is found down a side street that to some may find a little intimidating but do not be afraid to get out there and explore, the side street is safe. if you leave the hotel and turn right walk to the end of the street turn left and walk up to the vast shopping centre. or leave the hotel turn left then right and meet the shopping centre from a difference avenue, the night food market is here too.
The hotel is comfortable, clean, with large walk in showers. colour TV and room service. English is limited but understandable. The breakfast whilst is adequate is pretty limited for the western palate. There was a wedding going on when we arrived, however I can confirm that even though the hotel was full there were no problems in obtaining anything we asked for
Would stay here again

Room Tip: Choose a high level room to avoid noise
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank DevonSueC
Farnborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 September 2013

The bedrooms are very large, well fitted and comfortable, with big bathrooms and walk in showers. The location is a bit out of the centre but not too bad. There is a side street by the hotel - don't be afraid to go down this at night as it is quite safe. If you go out of the hotel and turn left, walk to the main road and turn left again then there is a fabulous restaurant where you cook your own food on a griddle in the middle of the table.

Breakfast was included in our booking and the choice was very good as well as quite good quality.

However, the food and drink in the lounge of the hotel is extremely expensive...just walk a short way and get some local atmosphere at a third f the price.

Room Tip: Get as high a room as you can or it can get noisy from the street.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Judy63_04
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed 17 September 2013

We were placed in this hotel as part of a local tour package. We really only needed a clean place to sleep, but this hotel had very clean and well appointed rooms. The breakfast was very good. Staff English was adequate. We would stay there again.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank neu6pai
Isle of Man, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 September 2013 via mobile

So you go down a narrow smelly lane where there are piles of bricks, bikes and overflowing rubbish bins - the smell is disgusting, especially when it's hot- and then suddenly this luxury looking hotel just appears on the streets. Very strange place for a hotel as its seemingly in the middle of a local town so nothing for tourists! The rooma are lovely, luxury decor and fabulously soft and comfy bed linen..our bathroom smelled very damp, and the blind on window pane between the bathroom and bedroom (peep show!!) was ill fitting and mouldy in places. 1 English tv channel which was news. All staff quite bored looking and uninterested. The breakfast was to be desired-only cater for local Chinese would be nice to offer an omelette or some recognisable food items.

• Stayed September 2013
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 September 2013

I stayed here nights. The hotel itself is designed and presented as 4 stars, the property itself and décor probably is, however the level of service is poor. The staff are less than helpful if you asked them anything.

They do not appear to have a left luggage store, and to leave your luggage means you leave it beside reception near by the door. I felt this was not a secure and told them...response "we have a camera watching". It did not occur to them watching someone take something isn't much use!
Later whilst waiting for my pick up transfer...I was asked to leave the bar area because I wasn't ordering more to drink (even though I was the only person in there and I had eaten my lunch in there). I was told to go sit in reception, which is actually an extension of the bar area. Ridiculous.

I have had better treatment in 2 star and hostels than I had in this hotel. I would not stay here again,

Room Tip: stay elsewhere
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Brenda_Spiller
Portland, OR
Reviewed 10 August 2013

I stayed here for 2 nights last November when BJ was very cold and wet. I caught a cold since I was traveling from Southern China. The hotel is located right between two subway stops but in a Hutong alley. There are many water pits in Hutong when raining. Every time my shoes and socks are wet walking through the pits. I need to use the kettle to boil some water to take medicine. Every time when I tried to boil the water, the breaker box will jump and room is then out of electricity. This happened at least 3 times. I asked the staff and they sent a electriation but never really fix the breadbox. I finally gave up for useing the kettle.

The breakfast area was below mediocre for a 4 star hotel in BJ. You have to sit by the round table with strangers which is awkward sometimes. The food choice is okay (I can't believe they don't even serve wonton soup which is very common at all other hotel restaurant). The service of the staff is below average.

At the last day when I checked out, the front conceirge told me I
had to pay my room fee which is a big surprise because I had prepaid
full with credit card when I booked BW online. At the day when I checked in, it also showed the proof. But the staff told me they didn't receive the payment info because of the fax machine is broken, bla bla bla. So finally it took us 20 min to sort it out, and I have to pay 2000 yuan in cash. I had a big sigh since I was catching the subway to the airport and if I had happened not to have that much cash, I might screwed or not be able to catch my international flights.

Only pros: the hotel room is big and the bed is huge kingsize. Shower and bath have a electric curtain.

Other than that, I would not come back to this hotel again!!!

• Stayed November 2012
1 Thank Peterepen

Travellers are raving about these Beijing hotels