“An experience!”

The Classic Courtyard
Ranked #159 of 6,596 Hotels in Beijing
Reviewed 9 January 2014 via mobile

Stayed 2 nights and that was long enough. My room was really dirty, black mold, clogged shower drain with previous occupants hair, dust thick enough to write your name in. Very small room, nowhere for suit cases. I had a drag on bag which spent the 2 nights on the bed as there was nowhere else to put it. It appeared as though they had over booked and my room belonged to a local resident that had been relocated just for my stay....! Female staff member was helpful and pleasant but male staff member was more interested in doing exercises with his fellow residents than serving! If you don't want to hear how much the residents/workers enjoy their evening meal then don't go into the common room during this time.... Also don't plan on having a lovely cooked breakfast before you head out on your days adventures as the "chef" may not feel like coming to work, as was the case! However in saying all of this, my son and daughter inlaw had a very nice room, very clean and well decorated. The one evening meal we did have was nicely cooked and tasty. All in all it was a Hutong experience....China style!

• Stayed: November 2013
2  Thank entrada95

Reviewed 18 December 2013

What a wonderful group of young people running this hotel! -- they really made me feel at home.

At the last minute, I found myself alone in BJ so, rather than eating dinner alone in some strange restaurant, I returned each evening to eat in the lounge/dining room at the hotel and watched, with the staff, a soap opera on TV. The food was excellent and inexpensive and, as we watched the depressing soap together, I was often offered treats that some of the staff had bought -- it really did feel that I was part of the family!

The accommodation is simple but adequate and the room easy to heat (it was December) and there was plenty of hot water for a shower in the spacious bathroom.

The hotel is located in a hutong very near two Metro stations and about a 5-minute walk from an ATM. I found it to be an excellent base to visit BJ, but it was the fun group of young people running the hotel that really made my stay a memorable one.

Room Tip: I don't like rooms without windows, and the first room that I was shown had only a small window...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank rangergeorge
Reviewed 18 November 2013

I did not confirm my booking with them which i made through asiarooms.com, big mistake!
When we got to the place in the middle of the night, we were informed that they messed up my reservation and had no available room for us for that night.

They eventually contacted another inn nearby about CNY20 taxi ride which i paid for myself and we settled there until the next morning before returning to the classic courtyard.

What a way to start a holiday... beware or suffer the consequences

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank SeoulbigB
Reviewed 23 October 2013 via mobile

Location is OK a lot of backpackers near Lama temple the area itself kind of shady at night but very lively during the day. A lot of places to eat near hostel cheap but not very clean. The rooms are clean but no windows in the room

• Stayed: October 2013
1  Thank tomkash
Reviewed 27 September 2013

I booked the classic courtyard for 5 nights, after the second I made a brief research in Expedia, because my need for a 5 stars hotel was really strong. I have reserved a room at the Merchantel Beijin with a 20% more on total price. I would suggest this hostel just for the position, next to the Lama Temple, but unfortunately the rest is really poor, the room is dirty and uncomfortable, the hutong as well is the reign of squalor.
Would say the at least that the guys working here are nice and caring.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 24 September 2013

Yes, the sweet courtyard you see online exists but they took us back upstairs to a room in a back balcony with clothes on a line and a totally different feel than advertised. The staff is not hospitable - it just seemed like we were bugging them when we needed something. For $20 more you can find a much nicer courtyard hotel in this neighborhood. This is much more of a hostel than a hotel, if they had advertised it as such I would have been satisfied with my experience.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Eily M
Reviewed 4 September 2013

This place was quite hard to find and when we got there, it was quite hard to identify since the sign outside says "Candy Inn." I have mixed feelings about this place. For one, this place really annoyed be because not only did they charge my credit card directly even though they said they wouldn't (since i booked through Booking.com), the guy manager who is manning the front desk is also very rude and unwelcoming. A few things in the inn does compensate for that treatment: the rooms and bathroom were very clean and there is also this young woman who helps out at the front desk who is just an absolute angel. She will go out of her way to help you and will do so with a smile. She even helped us book tickets to get to Guangzhou from Beijing. I will forever be thankful to that girl. She is such a sweetheart and she didn't even expect anything in return. All in all, despite her sweetness, I doubt I will go back again. There are just a lot of better places to stay in Beijing and dealing with the manager was just not worth it.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family