“Good Location ,and price.” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Howard Johnson Paragon Hotel Beijing

Howard Johnson Paragon Hotel Beijing
Ranked #81 of 6,427 Hotels in Beijing
New Delhi, India
“Good Location ,and price.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2014

It was second time of mine to stay here. The place is so close to the train station is big avantage.But if you have lot of work in CBD then may be its not best suited.The rooms are clean and cost is reasonable. Im not so fussy about breakfast so it does not bother much to be for breakfast.
The place is so close to the metro station and major landmarks such as tianmen square.
I can hop up to the railway station from here.

no negative experience so everything is fine for me.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank mathursubodh

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Los Angeles
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2014

Booked through terrific BEIJING HOLIDAY, you can't beat the location .. ..

Almost across the street from the BEIJING RAIL STATION and on top of a large underground mall, the room are standard and it was a bit tight for three people when you put a rollaway in there .. ..

Their BREAKFAST BUFFET was the best of the entire trip, and you won't be sorry about staying here just for that!!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2014

The Howard Johnson Paragon Hotel in Beijing has. Geographically handy location;across the road from Beijing Railway station and close to Tianamen Square and the Forbidden City. As a hotel it is clean with fairly spacious rooms with great beds. The highlight were the buffet breakfasts and the great coffee. We enjoyed our stay here. Our only disappointment was on checkout we were stung for drinking The bottle of Evian water which we didn't touch. In fact we were so insensed at this false accusation, we took the attendants up to the room to show them the bottle of water we apparently drunk. This was an unfortunate stay on an otherwise good stay at this hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for non smoking rooms. Be aware that rooms on the fifth floor have added security doors so if yo...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank MTsolaks
Bangkok, Thailand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2014

Excellent Hotel. Very good Value for money. The deluxe rooms are very roomy and the rooms were very clean. There was no smoky smell in the hotel rooms. There is a supermarket in the shopping complex below the hotel. The Metro station is also very very close. Very convenient for seeing the sights in Beijing.
Staff were friendly and helpful.
We didn't have the breakfast but you can get food at the supermarket or try out dumplings and noodles sold by vendors in the nearby alleys in the morning. Of if you want there is Starbucks and Subway across the road

Room Tip: We chose a deluxe room which is larger than the standard and it was very roomy
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Tanya C
Singapore, Singapore
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2014

Where else will you get a hotel staff who would tell you after you complain about the non-working airconditioning to open the window !!!! And mind you they did not offer to replace the room.

It took them an hour to check us in. They insisted on one of our Chinese carrying passport tour group mate to write his China address. After he explained that he is an overseas Chinese citizen living in another country, the hotel check-in staff still insisted on a Chinese address! It was explained further in mandarin that he didnt have 1 as he doesnt live in China. The staff still couldnt understand and RUDELY insisted that he write a China adress.

For a hotel with a foreign sounding name, the staff looks like the are not used to giving proper service. Even the breakfast hotel staff looks frowningly at the guest. Whenever one asks a question you get a feeling that they do not want to be bothered.

• Stayed April 2014
2 Thank Chinita-Manilena

Travellers are raving about these Beijing hotels

Gent
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2014

The hotel is centrally located. My room was clean, but was lacking daylight. It was located at the inside corner, so direct sunlight was blocked by the construction of the building plus the windows were blinded with foils and the door to the terrace was locked. The room was only good for sleeping, during day it gave the impression of a prison...

Room Tip: ask for a room at the outside of the hotel
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
New York City, New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2014

I booked this hotel through Hotwire without knowing the name until it was guaranteed. I was surprised when a Howard Johnson's came up. I honestly didn't even knew Howard Johnson's Hotels still were in business. I remember them as roadside hotels growing up and haven't seen one since.
I arrived the hotel late (midnight) and found it odd that there was a bellman on duty, but he was sitting in a chair playing with his cell phone, never offered any help with the bags or to even look up at a new guest walking in the door. There were two ladies working the front desk, my check in took an exceptionally long time - almost a half hour, although I was the only guest in the lobby. I have no idea why it took so long, she kept taking documents and going into the rear office and coming out. She assured me there was no problem, but check in was painfully slow.
The halls on my floor were covered in white sheets. Why? I have no idea.
The hotel location is good, it's across from the Beijing rail station. It's also attached to a mall. Although about 50% of the shops are closed in the mall and most shops are low end, junk there is an interesting local supermarket in the mall that was interesting to walk through and explore.
My room was average size, I had a view of a tennis court. The colors were a drab beige. The room was functional, but no "wow" factor - very basic. I thought it was odd that there was a big condom display of condoms for sale in the bathroom (tacky!). Also I had a non smoking room and there were ashtrays and matches in the room. When later I asked the front desk why there were ashtrays in a nonsmoking room, I was told "In case someone wants to smoke"!
I stayed here 7 days and every day when I returned to the room my bathroom had a strong smell of chemicals. During my time in Beijing I had headaches and even a bloody nose. One day I stayed in room to take a nap and a crew of hotel employees entered my room - no knock. They were in hazmat suits and were spraying a chemical down a drain in my bathroom. This is the smell I was smelling and I am sure this is what was making ill.
The front desk staff was awful. They were rude, unfriendly and only spoke English when they wanted to speak it. When you needed help suddenly they were not understanding what you were saying.
The Wifi in my room seldom worked. It was down at least 90% of the time that I was there. There is a business center in the hotel, but it's not free. The staff in the business center was very unhelpful. The center is always empty and they pretty much jump on you when you arrive making sure you know the use of computers is NOT free. When I was there one of the staff members walked over to where I was working and starting going my papers, files and work - it was very strange.
Another situation was that we had snow and ice for several days of my stay. The front steps are marble and covered in ice. You had to hold tight to the railing to walk down without falling. It was dangerous and I can't understand why they didn't work at removing ice on their front steps.
Each morning I had wait in the lobby for a driver to show up. There is no public seating in the lobby, no place to sit, except the open cocktail lounge that has plenty of comfortable chairs and couches. In the morning (7:00am) it's empty, but the cocktail waitress on duty shoos hotel guests out of the area who want to sit and wait. I watched every morning as she did this ritual, at 7:00am she never had a cocktail customer, but her only job was to shoo hotel guests off the chairs and couches who wished to wait here - seated.
The concierge refused to help me call my car service one morning when I needed a Chinese speaker for instructions. He said because he did not book the car service he was not allowed to talk to them. I also found the hotel staff very unhelpful in simple request like getting a cab for me.
The staff was lousy. They were unfriendly and unhelpful.
One of the highlights of the hotel was the breakfast. It is served in the Atrium and is buffet, half Western and half Chinese - it was pretty good.
The craziest event of my stay came at check out. I went down and signed out. Then the woman kept asking me something I Chinese. It was so early in the morning that we were the only one in the lobby, so I could not find someone to translate. Finally my car service showed up and I started to leave, assuming that I was all checked out. Suddenly a security guard showed up. It seemed that I did not turn in that little plastic, disposal door key that hotels make for you. At check out I usually just leave them in the room, which I did at this hotel. It seems this is a big no no in China or at least at this hotel. They made a big deal over it and walked me up to the room to retrieve the plastic throw away key and return it to the desk before I left the hotel.
I would not stay here again and found that in China the better the hotel you can afford the better the service.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo