“In summary a well positioned cheap western hotel, tries hard but fails and it shows... Not recommend.”

Swissotel Beijing Hong Kong Macau Center
Ranked #67 of 6,568 Hotels in Beijing
Reviewed 8 December 2012 via mobile

Lets start by saying that as Swissotel Circle members we were upgraded, which makes this doubly disappointing really...

Rooms- well presented, clean, dated; however the aircon makes a similar roar to an Boeing 747 during reverse thrust, the windows are thin and the street noise is very clear and apparent even on the top floor, beds are very hard (we asked for a duvet to double up and put underneath us).

Wifi - is a joke. Very poor signal quality throughout hotel. Appears to be ran off individual domestic products. In room Internet is via cable so no good if you have only an iPhone or smart phone. If on business think again, speeds are too slow, it is noted that this will be in part due to the government filtering and accessing servers back in the UK.

Turn down service - I know that this is a silly thing really, in most hotels they ask if you want fresh towels, they may even clean the room a little, certainly do the arbitrary opening the bed, but in this hotel they knock on the door say 'turn down service' and hand you a single individually wrapped mint polo (between two of us) and a small card stating the weather for the following day. To the question 'who was that?', I replied 'Nothing I've just eaten the turn down service!'

Breakfast- so we decided to use the executive floor breakfast which is a small buffet and essentially eggs and drinks ordering service. I wasn't hungry after, but it wasn't amazing either... It took about 5-mins to order two toast with poached eggs please. In the end I did the toast then sat there watching it get cold as I waited for the eggs. Essentially I think it's trying to be everything to everyone; they only have 8 hot plates yet still try to have noodles, dim sum, bacon, eggs, etc to appease cultural appetites. We had it for free, but would have been gutted if we had paid for it, if the weather is okay you could go to a local coffee house by walking or taxi and get better value for money.

Language - okay I get it, I came China so i don't expect everyone to speak English, but if you book into a 5 stat Western hotel I think it's fair to expect some level. A severe minority of non-Chinese were very helpful, but locals had extremely poor language skills. Even the executive floor assistance stood blanking several times when asking for simple things like a food/drinks menu!

Executive floor - is a small area on the 16th floor with rooms either side and a walk way through the middle, there was a lot of noise as guest and staff alike walk through, conversations with the EF recreation or just from staff generally conjugating and talking loudly.

Ill leave it on the note that the hotel could improve delivery of the entire range of services with better language and hosting skills.

• Stayed: December 2012
1  Thank mander5
Write a ReviewReviews (1,422)

Reviewed 7 December 2012

Decent hotel in the centre of Beijing. Didn't realise when I booked it, but it has a subway station right outside which is a big bonus and makes getting around so much easier. Don't think it is a 5 star rating though when you compare it with other 5 star hotels around the world. I had requested a non smoking room, and upon receiving my room it was clear someone had been smoking in it. Hard for them to control I suppose, but was disappointing that they weren't able to change the room. Room was a good size, big window with nice view over downtown Beijing. No wireless available in the rooms, only available downstairs in the lobby which again is unusual for a 5 star hotel. Bed was quite hard, but room and linen was very clean. Staff at reception were very friendly and helpful, particularly with giving directions to places and providing maps etc from the internet, really appreciated their help. Food and drink in the hotel and lobby bar etc. seem expensive, I didn't try the breakfast or the fitness facilities. Overall a decent hotel, and I would stay here again.

Room Tip: Important to stress a non smoking room is required if you want one
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 November 2012

My husband and I have stayed at this hotel many times over the past 15 years or so . The Swissotel has consistently met our expectations - it is clean; the staff are helpful and friendly; the accommodations are good; the location (there is a subway entrance right in front of the hotel) is good (although if you want to be in the heart of Beijing you need to look elsewhere); and the price is fair and reasonable. We stayed on the club level and found the club room staff to be helpful. The hotel has lost some of its luster from years now past , but it is still a lovely place to stay in Beijing.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 20 November 2012

I stayed at the Swissotel for 3 nights for a short break with my family. When I've been to Beijing on business several times before I stayed at Hotel-G which is superb, but they appear to have had a brain explosion with their pricing of late.
I picked Swissotel because it is literally next door to the tube station, so it is ultra-convenient. Booked direct because I needed a spare bed for the kiddies, so paid 960 RMB per night (including spare bed), which I later discovered was quite a long way over the odds. Disappointing.
There is no wireless internet in the hotel other than on the executive floor and the health club, and even then it is painfully slow. If I was there on business it would have been a deal-breaker for me, but I wasn't . The nice Aussie gent checking in next to me was very surprised indeed, and asked if this was really a 5 star hotel. Wired broadband is available in the rooms, but at crazy prices.
Of course, it isn't really a 5 star hotel. The room is dated: Cracked tiles in the bathroom and the carpet was reminiscent of that in a country hotel that I'd stayed in during a visit to country Zhejiang Province, and about which my hosts had told me not to step on in my bare feet! We didn't eat or drink in the hotel because, like in so many other 'luxury' hotels in China, there is a perception that westerners are happy to pay anything. The bar and restaurant on the ground floor were essentially empty every time that I looked. I do not understand the business model.
However, the service was fantastic. The bed was on the hard-side by western standards, but after living in a 'proper' Chinese apartment for a month it was luxuriously soft.
The concierge service was brilliant when arranging a private car to visit the Great Wall. They went way beyond the call of duty, especially the concierge Extra Li. When we screwed up regarding locking of the room, our mistake was dealt with efficiently and with a smile. The pool was great, and the staff were great with the kids. It was a surprise to find the staff uniforms hanging up to dry in the sauna, but it didn't bother me.
I will have no hesitation in staying here when I'm next in Beijing, but I will:
1. Book on a discount reservation website
2. Take an mobile internet dongle with me (which cost about the same price as internet access for one hour in the hotel), and
3. Make sure I go out to eat. (McDonalds in 3 mins walk away, but I rather think that I had my annual McDonalds quota in one hit).

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 19 November 2012

We stayed in our business trip at this hotel. Very good service, nice room, and view. Location is convenient. During my stay i had birthday and hotel brings me big bucket of roses. everything was very nice!! only good words about this hotel.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Irishka86
Reviewed 16 November 2012

Stayed here for a week from 30th October to 6th November.
Very clean hotel, friendly staff, good food.
The free wifi is only available in the lobby and is a little bit hit and miss.
The concierge were very helpful, arranging taxis where needed, also good with information about the best way to get around and sites to see

Room Tip: Look for one at the front, far better views than at the back
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 15 November 2012

We booked the room thru Agoda.com at about SGD 140 per night for 5 nights. The room is clean and comfortable. We have slept well throughout our stay there, maybe due to the fact that our room is far from the lift lobby, but I also felt that the sound-proofing of the room is quite good. The hotel is just above the subway station and convenient to commute to other places. There is a famous Beijing roost duck restaurant near to the hotel (Da Dong Kao Ya Dian) which is a must try. The hotel staffs are quite friendly and try to help when asked. We have no time to try the indoor pool and the Gym though.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family