“Ripped Off”

Ranked #72 of 6,463 Hotels in Beijing
Los Angeles
“Ripped Off”
Reviewed 29 December 2012

The Swissotel chain is one of my favorite places to stay on business. They generally had the best amenities for the business traveler. When I was working on a group project in Shanghai I put part of our group in Swissotel Shanghai and everyone loved it. Eventually the rest of the group wanted to be moved into the Swissotel also.

Based on that experience of course I wanted to stay at the Swissotel when I went to Beijing this month (plus Tripadvisor has a Very Good rating). I was quoted 750 RMB/night for a Grand Room, which was comparable to the Hotels.com advertised rate of 744 RMB.

When I arrived, they couldn't find my reservation. They called the vacationing sales agent who I talked to originally and had to rebook me. They told me they'll put me in the best available room. When I moved into the room I realized it had much less amenities and was smaller than what I was expecting. As turned out I was put in a Classic Room (meaning most basic and 481 RMB on Hotels.com) but at the same 750 RMB rate! I complained to the sales staff but I was repeatedly told that was the best available rate for the best available room, even though I can show them the Hotels.com listing. When I called anonymously later they also quoted me a lower rate of 500 RMB for the same nights. This is just patently fraudulent.

Eventually the sales manager promised to upgrade me to a suite on my NEXT stay, He said he will email me to confirm his offer. I have yet to receive this email. It's pretty obvious this hotel will say anything to get you in the door or off their backs without ever intending to honor their promises.

Buyer beware and stay away!

Room Tip: If you are not given the room as promised, do not compromise. Demand an immediate change either in...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (138)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 19 December 2012

I definitely recommend Swissotel Beijing to other travellers.

Firstly, Excellent value for money though i think breakfast is over-priced. I advise for you not to take it. Just eat elsewhere. Secondly, Service was excellent. All the staff I encountered were able to understand and speak English. They were kind enough to give us an early check-in. I am a hotelier and i know it is a bonus and we are very thankful. Concierge was able to answer and recommend restaurants, shopping places, etc. They recommended an absolutely wonderful restaurant that serves EXCELLENT Peking duck! (Dadong Roast Duck Restaurant). It was few blocks away from the hotel. Thirdly, Convenient Location. It was literally right outside the train station. It was very accessible to everywhere we wanted to go. Also, there is a small strip of restaurants right outside the hotel. Facing the main hotel entrance, it will be the street in the left side. I also recommend those restaurants. Pricing is average and service was also good. The hotel may not be as new or as grand as others, but you will find all that you need here.

All in all, our stay at Swissotel was fantastic! Would definitely recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Choose the one facing the ring area. Better view.
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 December 2012

It is really very good hotel, you can go whenever you want because the subway station is almost inside their and you can go shopping in a walk distance. The only thing that I don't like was the Internet wifi! Only at lobby and so slow

• Stayed November 2012
Olvera, Spain
Reviewed 12 December 2012

After staying in a Shangri-La (in Chengdu) the previous day, this was a disappointing come down. I had a floor on the Executive floor, which was tired, nearly as bad as me. The staff seemed accommodating, however room service was typically cold and food that not only was really disappointing but was poor value for money. On the whole its OK for a night stop, but I would avoid for a longer stay.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
Edenton, North Carolina
Reviewed 8 December 2012

I checked in and they said we have upgraded you to a better room....I visited in December and the temperatures were COLD but to have the heat on maximum in the room and get out of bed cold for 3 days..is not 5 stars...engineers put a space heater in the third day. The hotel over all is dated and they charge you for internet in the room ..(.fine some hotels do ) but via cable only, meaning no WIFI , which means I sit in the cold lobby daily to access my mobile apps after I pay for a internet in my room?? Also the breakfast buffet, not included in a standard room ....nothing special on this buffet.... but 32 dollars for breakfast?? Give them credit you could get seperate menu to order and have them serve you but I had tight schedule and 32 dollars for my fruit and cerial was a bit much..ha. I think the evening buffet was wonderful and a great variety of outstanding food ( and worth the money). I also thought the Lobby Christmas decoration was great very very nice. The gym was fine ..but sure no wow....overall the hotel had no wow...it is a average hotel...water poured out on the floor of my shower when it used it..just a dated place need attention to alot of details. ..not bad , very pricey and for the almost 1000.00 usd I spent in the 7 days stay I could have done much better in Beijing.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a good heater unit in December...ha.
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled solo
london
Reviewed 8 December 2012 via mobile

Lets start by saying that as Swissotel Circle members we were upgraded, which makes this doubly disappointing really...

Rooms- well presented, clean, dated; however the aircon makes a similar roar to an Boeing 747 during reverse thrust, the windows are thin and the street noise is very clear and apparent even on the top floor, beds are very hard (we asked for a duvet to double up and put underneath us).

Wifi - is a joke. Very poor signal quality throughout hotel. Appears to be ran off individual domestic products. In room Internet is via cable so no good if you have only an iPhone or smart phone. If on business think again, speeds are too slow, it is noted that this will be in part due to the government filtering and accessing servers back in the UK.

Turn down service - I know that this is a silly thing really, in most hotels they ask if you want fresh towels, they may even clean the room a little, certainly do the arbitrary opening the bed, but in this hotel they knock on the door say 'turn down service' and hand you a single individually wrapped mint polo (between two of us) and a small card stating the weather for the following day. To the question 'who was that?', I replied 'Nothing I've just eaten the turn down service!'

Breakfast- so we decided to use the executive floor breakfast which is a small buffet and essentially eggs and drinks ordering service. I wasn't hungry after, but it wasn't amazing either... It took about 5-mins to order two toast with poached eggs please. In the end I did the toast then sat there watching it get cold as I waited for the eggs. Essentially I think it's trying to be everything to everyone; they only have 8 hot plates yet still try to have noodles, dim sum, bacon, eggs, etc to appease cultural appetites. We had it for free, but would have been gutted if we had paid for it, if the weather is okay you could go to a local coffee house by walking or taxi and get better value for money.

Language - okay I get it, I came China so i don't expect everyone to speak English, but if you book into a 5 stat Western hotel I think it's fair to expect some level. A severe minority of non-Chinese were very helpful, but locals had extremely poor language skills. Even the executive floor assistance stood blanking several times when asking for simple things like a food/drinks menu!

Executive floor - is a small area on the 16th floor with rooms either side and a walk way through the middle, there was a lot of noise as guest and staff alike walk through, conversations with the EF recreation or just from staff generally conjugating and talking loudly.

Ill leave it on the note that the hotel could improve delivery of the entire range of services with better language and hosting skills.

• Stayed December 2012
1 Thank mander5
Kuala Belait
Reviewed 7 December 2012

Decent hotel in the centre of Beijing. Didn't realise when I booked it, but it has a subway station right outside which is a big bonus and makes getting around so much easier. Don't think it is a 5 star rating though when you compare it with other 5 star hotels around the world. I had requested a non smoking room, and upon receiving my room it was clear someone had been smoking in it. Hard for them to control I suppose, but was disappointing that they weren't able to change the room. Room was a good size, big window with nice view over downtown Beijing. No wireless available in the rooms, only available downstairs in the lobby which again is unusual for a 5 star hotel. Bed was quite hard, but room and linen was very clean. Staff at reception were very friendly and helpful, particularly with giving directions to places and providing maps etc from the internet, really appreciated their help. Food and drink in the hotel and lobby bar etc. seem expensive, I didn't try the breakfast or the fitness facilities. Overall a decent hotel, and I would stay here again.

Room Tip: Important to stress a non smoking room is required if you want one
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple