“Good gym but dowdy outdated rooms”

Swissotel Beijing Hong Kong Macau Center
Ranked #67 of 6,516 Hotels in Beijing
London, United Kingdom
“Good gym but dowdy outdated rooms”
Reviewed 17 March 2013

The good points about this hotel are:

1. Location. It is next to a metro station. From this staion you can get to the airport, or around the city.

2. The Gym. This is excellent. One of the best I have been to in Beijing (but not quite as good as the Legendale hotel), so I give them 8 out of 10 for the gym.

The bad points are.

1. It is on an intersection of the 2nd Ring Road, so if you are unlucky like me and have a room lookimg over this road, the noise of traffic could keep you up at night. I found the windows are only partly double glazed!

2.Room. The room I had was a standard room. It was in need of refurbishment and not up to the standard expected of Swissotel. I would rate it as a 2 star room. Strange to say there was no box of paper tissues in the room. Limited TV channels. The one positive point was that the bed was comfortable.

3. Wifi. How any hotel can get away without providing free wifi in your room astonishes me, especially a brand like Swissotel. The only place you get free wifi is on the ground floor lounge. It is about time that customers complained and got hotel chains to come into the 21st century.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back of the hotel to avoid the noise of the ring road.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Nemo149
SwissotelBeijingMgnt, Manager at Swissotel Beijing Hong Kong Macau Center, responded to this review, 21 March 2013
Dear Nemo149,

Thank you very much for sharing your candid feedback regarding your recent stay. We regret to learn that we failed to impress you with our Swiss hospitality in terms of the product. Your valuable comments have been shared with the senior management and rest assured of our utmost attention would be given to the issues reported. While it may be difficult to make immediate changes to the facilities, I am confident you will notice further improvements in service upon your next return. That is why I wish to ask that you allow us another chance to demonstrate to you that we can make it right.

Should your busy travel plan brings you back to Beijing in the near future, please do advise me directly at jason.wang@swissotel.com so that I may be able to personally attend to your reservation details.

I apologize once again and thank you in advance granting us another opportunity. I remain at your disposal should you require any assistance.

on behalf of Swissotel Beijing Hong Kong Macau Center Management

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (142)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 15 March 2013

I have notice a great improvement to the employee service.
The hotel is better organised in servicing guest needs.
The breakfast is of good standard.
The best is the transport service; next to Beijing line 2 subway.
Locals can come to meet hotel guests at ease via subway. No need to fight through the terrible Beijing traffic.
The hotel is very close and walking distance to the Dadong Beijing Duck restaurant.
I would recommend this restaurant for Beijing Duck.

Room Tip: room facing the front of the hotel
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
Dear adstone888,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. We are extremely glad to learn that you had an enjoyable stay with us at Swissotel Beijing. And your kind compliment is highly appreciated by all the team members.

Once again, thank you for staying with us and look forward to your continuous support to Swissotel Worldwide.

Borough London
Reviewed 11 March 2013 via mobile

I stayed at Swissotel for 5 days running a conference for 25 delegates. The conference staff were highly attentive and professional and the meeting was a great success.

The food and drink provided was of very good quality and especially enjoyed the extensive breakfast choices in Cafe Swiss.

My room was fine however, the decor was in need of updating but, the bed was very comfortable and the room provided me with quiet night's sleep.

The location is very convenient just next door to Dong Si Shi Tiao subway station and just by the 2nd ring road.

Overall Swissotel is a great hotel for business in Beijing and is exceptional value for money.

• Stayed March 2013
SwissotelBeijingMgnt, Manager at Swissotel Beijing Hong Kong Macau Center, responded to this review, 24 March 2013
Dear Bill R,

Thank you for taking the time to express your feedback with us. We are very pleased to learn that you had had an enjoyable stay as well as successful conference with us. Your kind words have been shared among our capable Catering and Culinary teams. We are grateful for your compliments. Meanwhile, we understand that we are ready for a thorough refurbishment and we are working on it.

Once again, thank you for your support to Swissotel Beijing. Look forward to welcoming you back soonest.

Christchurch
Reviewed 3 March 2013

Stayed one night on a business trip. I found the staff extremely friendly and the service impeccable. I believe I paid just over $100 US for a nice double room with breakfast. The breakfast was a delicious buffet of Chinese or european with frsh cheeses, homemade yogurt etc.. Location on the 2nd ring road is also a plus. The taxi ride fromthe bullet train station at Bejing South was only about 20 minutes.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
SwissotelBeijingMgnt, Manager at Swissotel Beijing Hong Kong Macau Center, responded to this review, 12 March 2013
Dear Scottnz,

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. We are very delighted to learn that you had enjoyed your stay with us at Swissotel Beijing. We appreciate your kind comments on the staff service and so on. I cannot begin to tell you how much our team members appreciate these “pats on the back” and I can assure you that these comments both constructive and complimentary are taken to heart.

We look forward to welcoming you to Beijing soonest.

Espoo, Finland
Reviewed 1 March 2013

Here I am, again, after trying some other hotels nearby. Swissotel may have seen it's best days but still the rooms are clean, the service is excellent, the personnel is extremely nice and helpful and the location is really good. I guess I'll stay here also when I'll come next time!

• Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
Dear Sanski66,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share the experience from your last stay with us at Swissotel Beijing. We appreciate your kind words and feedback. You simply made us proud of what we do here. Thank you.

Look forward to your continuous support to Swissotel worldwide in the future.

Best personal regards,

Camberley, Surrey
Reviewed 25 February 2013

Stayed 3 nights in this hotel in Beijing shortly after Chinese new year. The place was top notch and the food prices were not quite as bad as I expected. The bar prices were through the roof however!. Room was medium sized – certainly not large – but functional. Hotel is right next to the underground which is by far the easiest way to get around in the city! For £60 / night, I would certainly stay here again! Bar prices were just too steep steep e.g. Over £7 for a cup of tea!! Little Swiss deli in the main area was quite reasonable. We didn't bother with the hotel breakfast as this would have almost doubled the cost for out stay! There is a 7-Eleven over the road and a larger supermarket less than 5 minutes away so we just stocked up the fridge with stuff to eat. This is a proper quality hotel with well trained staff and in a very good location for getting around..

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Craigie
SwissotelBeijingMgnt, Manager at Swissotel Beijing Hong Kong Macau Center, responded to this review, 5 March 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to express your feedback regarding your last stay. We are very pleased to learn that you had had an enjoyable stay mostly. Thank you for your patronage and look forward to your continuous support to Swissotel Beijing.

Personal regards,
Taipei, Taiwan
Reviewed 22 February 2013 via mobile

Stayed 2 nights. Booked a classic room and was told at check in I was upgraded to the next level. Arrived at night. It was about 30+ min plus can ride from the airport. About RMB75. Check in was smooth. The room and bathroom were clean but rather old as others have noted. The carpet definitely needs changing. There was a work desk and in room wired Internet connectivity. Internet was included with my upgrade. There was a decent in room safe for your laptop. 2 free bottles of water were provided daily. The tap in the bathroom included a notice that the tap water isn't for drinking. The heater was pretty warm right near it. Quite unbearable whenever you walk to the bathroom.

The work desk had sockets for local plugs and international power plugs. They were placed pretty close so you can't really plug in two adapters at the same time.

Breakfast spread was good. Both western and Chinese style breakfast options. While a friend told me getting a cab might be difficult in the area, I had no difficulties from the hotel itself.

Overall, service was good but the hardware could use updating.

Stayed February 2013, travelled on business