“Terrible service, old facility ”

Swissotel Beijing Hong Kong Macau Center
Ranked #64 of 6,531 Hotels in Beijing
Reviewed 29 July 2014 via mobile

Let me start with something positive: I like Swissotels in general and therefore had no doubt it would be well worth spending a little extra for a five star hotel in Beijing. The Swissotel is of course a great hotel with everything you'd expect to see for the price and in this category, however my stay went horribly wrong. I got a double room on the seventh floor. After arriving in my room I plugged in my phone charger and BANG! Lights out, all electricity gone! After I figured out how to call reception in the dark an electrician came who spend 20 minutes for simple changing the fuse. He told me not to use this specific plug again, so I charged my phone from then on the other wall. The next night I came back to the hotel to find my room locked. The key card worked fine in the elevator but didn't open my door. So far so good, 30 minutes later I entered the room with a new card. While gently pushing the light switch next to the door, the entire thing including cables fell out the wall. The friendly electrician needed a bit longer this time as he spend the time waiting for spare parts in my room. I'll skip my experience with a low quality massage here but will share with you that the door wouldn't open several times as it had done the second night. My desire for new bedsheets after the second night and my explicit demand was ignored during my entire five night stay. After a talk with the assistant manager about my horrible first three days I received a letter of apologies, the bedsheets however remained the same. Anyway, when checking out I had to pay the 15% service charge on every item on my bill naturally. If you book through an online portal be aware that these extra charges are not shown there.
Long story short: the hotel is perfectly located and could be a great place. Terrible service and old rooms however take the joy out of spending the five star price for this accommodation.

Stayed: July 2014
SwissotelBeijingMgnt, Manager at Swissotel Beijing Hong Kong Macau Center, responded to this reviewResponded 4 August 2014

Dear Tobias2402,

Thank you for taking the time to express your candid feedback regarding the recent stay at Swissôtel Beijing. We value your comment very much as it helps us to serve you better.

We are sadden to learn that we failed to impress you with our Swiss hospitality in terms of staff service and the overall condition of the hotel which consequently resulted in less satisfactory experience. Your feedback has drawn the utmost attention of the senior management. Please be rest assured that we are looking constantly into training our entire hotel team, striving for excellence in service. We addressed your constructive comments with the appropriate departments to ensure further improvements on product and service. While it may be difficult to make immediate changes to the facilities, I am confident you will notice improvements in service upon your next return. That is why I wish to ask that you allow us another chance to demonstrate to you that we can make it right.

Should your busy travel plan brings you back to Beijing in the near future, please do advise me directly at jason.wang@swissotel.com so that I may be able to personally attend to your reservation details, ensuring the highest levels of service during the stay.

I apologize once again and thank you in advance granting us another opportunity. I remain at your disposal should you require any assistance.

Best regards,

On behalf of Swissôtel BEIJING Hong Kong Macau Center Management

There are newer reviews for Swissotel Beijing Hong Kong Macau Center

Reviewed 29 July 2014

Swissotel was very expensive, but unfortunately did not deliver value for money. The rooms are in need of renovation, which would be understandable in a cheaper hotel, but for the price we paid I think we could expect better. We were in Beijing during summer and the air conditioning was woefully inadequate. I brought this up with hotel staff but little was done to address the problem. If you are looking for value for money, look elsewhere.

• Stayed: July 2014
SwissotelBeijingMgnt, Manager at Swissotel Beijing Hong Kong Macau Center, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2014

Dear JamesSOgilvie,

Thank you for taking the time to express your candid feedback regarding the recent stay at Swissotel Beijing. We value your comment very much as it helps us to serve you better.

We are sadden to see that we failed to impress you with our Swiss hospitality in terms of the products. Rest assured, we are studying the best way to impress our guests with morden touch in the near future. I shall be very pleased in welcoming you back to experience what a real Swissotel meant to be then.

Should your busy schedule brings you back to Beijing, please drop me a note at jason.wang@swissotel.com so that I am able to look into your accommodation and ensuring the service at highest possible level.

Best regards,

On behalf of Swissôtel BEIJING Hong Kong Macau Center Management

Reviewed 25 July 2014

Just stayed one night and found that the staff was responsive, but that the hotel is in dire need of a renovation. I had reserved a room on the business floor and in fact it was a large room which might have been called a junior suite! Unfortunately, the air-conditioning did not work and the picture which should have been hung on the wall over the bed was missing (you could see the outline where it had been and the screws were still in the wall). That being said, once I called to the reception desk, I was promptly moved to another room with good air-conditioning. This room was much better, but this time, the TV remote did not work and the bathroom scale also was not functioning. The staff was overall very nice and tried hard. This is obviously an older hotel and it is time for a face lift.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 25 July 2014 via mobile

We stayed here when we came to Beijing for the first time. The service and their recommendation always perfect.
Now we live in Beijing and can say its best located to check out the city for fun and Culture.
The price at swisshotel is very good as the hotel is much better and cheaper than for example kempinski in Beijing.

Stayed: December 2013
Reviewed 22 July 2014

As always I enjoyed staying in this hotel, one of the most trusted hotels in Beijing.

Upon arrival, I was greeted by the cheerful bellboy. He was always entertaining and helpful that I instantly felt like at home and forget about my long hours of journey. As a loyal customer and I guest the hotel truly wanted to appreciate their customers, I was offered a free upgrade to my original booking. I enjoyed all the extra benefits very much for the whole three days.

Positive attitudes and professional services I experienced with staff in this hole led me to conclude that staying here was another great choice. This hotel combines traditional Beijing hospitality with top end western service standards..

I definitively will try to stay again in this hotel for my next trip in Being. .

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Swissotel Hotels & Resorts
SwissotelBeijingMgnt, Manager at Swissotel Beijing Hong Kong Macau Center, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2014

Dear Gang X,

Thank you for taking the time to share with us your recent experience at Swissotel Beijing. We are extremely glad to learn that you had another enjoyable stay with us. We highly appreciate those "pats on the shoulder" and your loyalty throughout the years.

Look forward to welcoming you back to Swissotel Beijing in the near future.

On behalf of Swissotel Beijing Hong Kong Macau Center Management

Reviewed 21 July 2014

Working in hospitality I know what it means to get someone back. Anyway, we used the hotel this time for a business meeting in town! Very responding staff and friendly staff. Certainly I've found my room to be kinda old: good time to relax after some meetings and the stressful time at Sanlitun.

Swimming pool & fitness center are very well equipped and clean. The roof- top tennis court makes a lot of fun to play some matches and enjoy later at the pool.

My top 3 factors why I go again:
- Not too close to Sanlitun Street
- Excellent service to a very affordable price
- Tasty and huge breakfast buffet a la swiss

Room Tip: Upper located room, viewing the big square in front of main gate gives you the feeling of being in B...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 19 July 2014

Have travelled to Beijing many times and never been disappointed. Clean comfortable rooms and responsive staff. Only ate breakfast and the selection ands quality of food was quite good. Only downside was adjusting room temperature. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Swissotel Hotels & Resorts

Dear George R,

Thank you for taking the time to express your feedback regarding the recent stay at Swissotel Beijing. We are very pleased to learn that you had enjoyed your stay again. And we appreciate your loyalty and kind compliments.

Look forward to welcoming you back to Swissotel Beijing in the near future.

On behalf of Swissotel Beijing Hong Kong Macau Center Management