“Not good enough for St Regis”

The St. Regis Beijing
Ranked #34 of 6,449 Hotels in Beijing
Overland Park, Kansas
“Not good enough for St Regis”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 October 2013

I usually stay at either of the 2 Westin hotels in Beijing, prefer the Financial Street location. I really like those hotels. This time I thought I'd go one step better and get the St Regis. I had just spent several nights in the St Regis in Aspen, Colorado, so my anticipation level was high.
The hotel Audi took me to the hotel. Looked rather ordinary from the outside. Inside there was a lot of marble and large common areas but nothing outstanding. I got a nice suite which was plenty big for me. I am sure the furniture was good quality but the whole suite decoration was something I think my grandparents would have liked. To me the style was old and uninspiring.
The bed however was FANTASTIC! It was the most comfortable bed I have ever slept in with the most luxurious linens I have had in any hotel. Only negative with the bedroom was there was a smoke detector with a light that blinked every thirty seconds or so. In a completely dark room a small blinking light can become very irritating. The ceiling was tall so no way I could block the blinking light.
In the morning I went looking for the Club Room to have breakfast only to find there is no Club Room (at least not that I was told of when I asked). That was another disappointment. The hotel does however have a very substantial breakfast buffet in the main restaurant. In the evening there was a happy hour with free food and drinks from 6 to 7 pm (I believe) in the hotel bar. Didn't compare very favorably to the Westin Club Room experience for breakfast and evening snacks and drinks.
The gym is in an adjacent building with an indoor walkway in between. Very nice and large gym with great equipment and enormous pool area. Well done.
The St Regis was within walking distance from most places I needed to go in Beijing which was great. The times I did need a taxi was a big problem though. There are no taxis waiting outside the St Regis and the guy at the front door has to go over to the street and try to hail a cab same as I can do myself. Except that very few taxis are available or seem to want to stop there. At the Westin there is always a line of taxis waiting. Another minus for St Regis.
On a positive note, there is a good Starbucks across the street.
Perhaps I'm being a bit tough on the hotel, I was not sure whether to give it a 3 or a 4 rating. It is of course a very nice hotel. And the people go out of their way to provide excellent service that was prompt, courteous and friendly. The bed is fantastic and the location great. If you like what I consider "old" style decoration you will like that too but I don't, I prefer light wood, steel and glass. If this had been a Sheraton (with a Sheraton price) I would have given it a 4 or 5. But it isn't. It is a St Regis and it is just not special enough for that. Next time I will go back to the Westin.

Room Tip: Ask if there are rooms without a blinking smoke detector immediately over the bed.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank catx
Cynthia Y, MarCom Executive at The St. Regis Beijing, responded to this review, 8 October 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time and detailed opinions about your recent stay here at The St. Regis Beijing.

Our hotel prides itself on providing bespoke services, and when things do go wrong we rectify them immediately.

Please be assured that your opinions are taken very seriously and we will take the necessary measures to do an internal follow up and ensure that issue you mentioned doesn’t happen in the future.

We will be ensuring that your profile is updated and that your stays from now will be everything you would expect and more.

Thank you for your comments and we look forward to welcome you in near future.

Best regards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Everett, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 October 2013

Stayed here for business. Upon arrival at the airport, i took a taxi to the hotel. The taxi driver did not know where the hotel was located and I had to call the hotel to direct him there. Even with their instructions the taxi driver dropped me off 2 blocks from the hotel. Not a good start to my night but it all turned away when i checked in. With my platinum status at SPG, i was upgraded to their presidential suite YAY! This room was way too big for just one person but it was amazing. This is by far the best room i ever stayed in, just too bad my wife wasnt with me to enjoy it. I only stayed for a few nights and did not use much of the hotel's amenities. The location for the hotel was pretty good and it was within walking distance to the silk market.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled on business

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on TripAdvisor website.

We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us, and glad to hear that you are satisfied with our service and facilities.

It was indeed our pleasure to have you as our guest and we hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future.

Beijing
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 October 2013

I am a member at the St Regis. Beijing, and I've stayed at this hotel many times during my time in Beijing also, about more than 12 times I believe. (4 people in my family are also st Regis members for at least 7 years) I've been a member there for 11 years already and I'm also a Starwood preferred guest, and I had the luxury of staying at other Starwood hotels in the United States, Japan and Hong Kong. My family also usually chooses this hotel to have our close family members stay at as well as our business partners because of its great location near all the in city sites.

My unfortunate experience:

This hotel usually has really good management but for some reason the people at the gym holds double standards.

I just finished taking a shower when I saw my pregnant wife being reprimanded, finger pointed at and was backed into a corner by two of the gym staff.

They were yelling at her for taking four bottles of water. I immediately stepped in to defend her.

When I started to raise my voice the manager there named Lucy told me to shut up, and after threatened to call her duty manager on me. She made it seem as if we were in pre school like if she was going to tell on me.

I waited for her manager to come but after waiting for 20 minutes she couldn't call through to the manager. I told her I would come the next day to talk to the manager.

The next day, I went to the gym to meet with her foreign manager. Who was really nice and great and definitely holds the standards of a St Regis. The main thing we talked about was to hold consistency about their standards of how they treat people.

However, the manager of the gyms tone, Lucy, changed immediately once seeing her manager. Instead of just saying you and talking to me in a very demeaning tone the day before, she actually smiled and used the polite form of you "nin" the first time in 11 years.

Another shocking thing was she called hotel security to oversee this talk. Which was really uncomfortable to have a nice talk about the issues of the hotel with the Director of Rooms. In the past I've only see the hotel security used a few times and it has always been about throwing people out of the hotel. Really felt more like a criminal than a customer during that meeting because of that.

Anyways, this hotels is great to stay at if you are in Beijing and you don't speak any English. The pathway to the main entrance of the St Regis is under construction which has caused a massive car in-congestion when you are trying to leave their parking lot.

My experience at the St Regis was a horrible one but if you look foreign or you look the part of a wealthy middle aged man, woman. You will be getting the great service of a 5 star hotel. If you are a young married couple then there is a chance you might not get the 5 star treatment. I go frequently to use the gym there and occasionally eat there, so I guess my chance of running into these problems with poor management are much higher than most people who just stay at this hotel for a few days.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Justin H
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your reply and the hotel management are looking into this situation.

Hong Kong
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 September 2013

upon arrival at the hotel, room was not ready even thought it was 2pm, however manager on duty decided to upgrade us and give us a bigger room. the rooms are clean and exactly what a 5 star hotel should be like. breakfast here is excellent. the swimming pool and gym is top notch as well

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on (TripAdvisor website.

Guilford, Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 September 2013

I stayed at the St. Regis for 3 days while on business in Beijing in September. I later noticed a note in an Insight Guide that many regard St. Regis as the best hotel in Beijing. While I have no other hotel in Beijing to compare it to, it must be among the best as I can't imagine any way in which it could be superior. The rooms are large, comfortable and very tastefully furnished, "non-smoking" means non-smoking, the pillows divine, the bathroom covered in marble, the service terrific, the gym is one of the best hotel gyms I have been in, and the food excellent. It is well located in the business district. It is a 10-30 minute cab ride, or a 10 minute subway ride to Tienanmen Square depending upon traffic (which can be atrocious.) Of course it is pricey (so get the buffet breakfast included in the rate if you can), but you can trust this hotel to deliver a St. Regis-quality stay.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank A28ensemble
Cynthia Y, MarCom Executive at The St. Regis Beijing, responded to this review, 24 September 2013

Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 September 2013

I had a very good experience at this hotel. Very service oriented: arrived late at night and needed coffee and support at the business center which was immediately available. My room was very nice--no great view. In the US, this is closer to a Grand Hyatt rather than a Hyatt. The large buffet breakfast was overwhelming to me but ordering off the menu was not tremendously expensive and much more relaxing. I had an excellent meal at the Japanese restaurant in the hotel, which seemed popular with diplomats from the nearby Embassy. I had a free half-day for touring and the hotel arranged a car and English-speaking guide--a very nice morning. Highly recommend if the location is near your meetings. I don't have a good sense of whether there is good support if you are here primarily for touring.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank CapCityTravelers

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 September 2013

This was my first stay at a St. Regis and it totally exceeded my expectations. The hotel isn’t particularly outstanding architecture on the exterior, simple and clean. Inside, a world of marble detailing, art, fine fabrics abounds! The foyer and lobby bar are elegant and open, and SPG check in is fast and easy. I was upgraded to a Diplomat Room and it was one of the most comfortable, functional, quietly elegant rooms ever. I wonderful sitting area, universal swivel big screen TV for living area, BIG fully functional business desk (best I’ve seen) and lovely big bed! A walk in closet with drawers, storage, a safe, and bathroom to die for with an electronic toilet designed by NASA!

There to see the sights of Beijing, I changed my plans and did only one BIG event per day, framed by the buffet breakfast on the garden terrace, and return pool/spa/Jacuzzi/steam and sauna after. 18:00-19:00, the Press Room Bar is set up and offers free happy hour food AND any alcohol you need to sooth those aching feet! Traveling alone, and relaxed in my room, I ordered an Australian Filet and grilled veggies and a bottle of New Zealand white in my room. The hotel also arranged a day taxi for me to the Great wall and this driver knew every short cut, reaching the wall in ONE hour! He led me to the ticketing and got me started.

The hotel is OFF the noisy main drag and a short walk to Jianguomen Metro on Line 1 so a straight shot to Tian Amen and the Forbidden City. The subway is totally easy and only 2 RMB...to everywhere! It is NOT kind to those who have issues with stairs or wheel chairs of baby strollers!

The staff here responded to every question, request with the up-most speed, and my suggestion to replace SPG ads in the Press Room Bar TVs was…finally…met with a change to sports (thanks to new intern David from Montreal!). DO NOT MISS THE INDOOR POOL AND SPA! The concierge and front desk staff very helpful.

The St. Regis is top class so be prepared to pay more for food in the hotel. However, check with SPG offers like free breakfast (offered to me in today's questionnaire AFTER I returned...annoying!)...so ask for any upgrades, deals, or freebies...they are there to be had!

Please rate my review as helpful if it was!

Room Tip: The _ _11 and _ _12 rooms on each floor too close to the elevator lobby for me, get something farthe...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
4 Thank jmptrips
Cynthia Y, MarCom Executive at The St. Regis Beijing, responded to this review, 20 September 2013