“Great 5 star for a reasonable price”

The Peninsula Beijing
Ranked #51 of 6,463 Hotels in Beijing
Mechelen, Belgium
“Great 5 star for a reasonable price”
Reviewed 5 September 2012

I loved my stay on the Peninsula Beijing.
Great rooms, excellent service, nice breakfast, gorgeous spa, etc ... and all that for a reasonable price.
If you want to stay in the Wangfujing area, then this is an excellent choise.

PS: liked the complimentary bicycle rental.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (114)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Rome
Reviewed 5 September 2012

We spent 3 nights in this hotel and it has been a delusion. I have been i so many 5 stars that when I saw our room I coldn't believe it. Rooms are dated and withouth charm, small and very basic. I knew Peninsula in Hong Kong, so may be my expectation where too high.
The hall is huge with a so many fashionable shops and elegant restaurants, but you get a delusion a soon as you go upstairs.
A shop gallery isn't enough to do a 5 star.
Also I was very surprised when the two boys who took our luggage into the room told us in a very unpolite way that the tip we were giving them was too few. We were just arrived, tired and upset for the jet lag and we couldn't realize the real value of thei currency. Very very fastidious.
Rooms are also noisy expecially if they are at the front of the hotel facing the road.
We had lunch at their restaurant and we found it very expensive: 80$ for 1 noodles, 1 hamburger with chips, 1 beer, 1 mineral water!!!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Canada
Reviewed 4 September 2012

A great hotel with great service. The lobby was spacious and nice with high end stores in the lower levels. All employees are english speaking and were very courteous from the lady who spins the revolving doors to the concierge. The rooms we had ( two rooms connecting) were excellent but could have had a better view. The backside view was an older apartment/condo that was a little run down. The room had master control units bedside that were a little bit of a pain to use as ours had a loose connection which made it uncooperative sometimes. The hotel supplied us with plenty of bottled water as you should not consume their tap water or brush your teeth with it (even though I forgot sometimes with no consequences).
We ate in the lobby and in the restaurant Jing daily for breakfast buffet. It is quite a spread and food was excellent. A little pricey but you get your monies worth. There are lots of restaurants across the street and nearby that are less expensive. There are dozens of food stalls set up at night down the street where you can try anything you want from delicious dumplings to huge centipedes/starfish/sea horses/baby sharks etc.
Lots of shopping nearby with the pedestrian mall on Wangfujing Dajie a couple blocks away and many indoor shopping mall that have Forever 21 and North American name brands.
Previous reviews about the hotel being dated I find is not a big deal. It is still a very nice, accomodating and high end hotel with great service. We have no problem staying there the next time we are in Beijing and would recommend it to our friends.

Dallas, TX
Reviewed 1 September 2012

I wasn't entirely certain what to expect of the hotel - the website makes the property seem very high end, but sometimes expensive doesn't always = nice. I was in Beijing on business, but stayed over the weekend to explore the city a bit with my coworker.

The entrance is connected to shopping stores (high end - think Harry Winston) with a modest lobby to the side. White-gloved attendants turn the revolving doors as you enter, and there is no shortage of staff available to help with anything you need. External appearances are clearly important to management of this hotel - judging by the high end stores, fancy entry way number of attendants throughout the entry way and lobby area. Check in was simple and quick (around 1am). I declined assistance to my room and found it easily. The staff throughout spoke sufficient english. Check-out was simple and quick when we left.

The rooms were comfortable, clean, and spacious. The hotel is older, so while you won't see brand-new curtains and parts of rooms may be slightly tired, it suited my needs just fine. The bathroom was nice - white marble surfaces, with separate shower and tub - tv and sound in the bathroom make it comfortable to soak and relax. Bed was comfortable, and I found the desk and couch comfortable for both relaxing and working throughout my stay. I would say the rooms are nice enough - typical of what I would expect in a 4-5 star hotel and provided all of the needed amenities for both my business and leisure travel needs. Overall, it provided nice respite from the hustle and bustle from the city.

Next - food! The breakfast buffet provided a wide variety of both Asian and Western options - though the options didn't change from day to day. We saw a mix of clients from all areas of the globe, including children, who had no trouble finding something to eat. I quickly developed an omelet habit and enjoyed trying the different ingredients throughout my stay. Only complaint I had over 4 breakfast meals was that the one time I requested an egg-white omelet, it smelled like feet. Room service was good, though typically expensive as high-end hotels are - but the food was enjoyable and exactly what we expected. We also enjoyed drinks at the lobby bar, but didn't try food from the menu there.

The hotel gym is also very nice - the attendants provide cold towels during your workout (nice!) and quickly wipe down the equipment after each use. There is a separate cardio room and weight room, and the locker rooms are also nice. The hotel provides keys to lockers to store your belongings, as well as the usual towel service, showers, hair dryers, etc.

The indoor pool was the perfect way to spend an afternoon on a hot day - and the attendants provide bottled water and cold towels.

We didn't try the spa, but the concierge happily provided recommendation to a nearby (2 minute walk) to a spa that gave one of the best massages I have ever had. (My travel partner went back the next day for more!)

Location: Beijing is a huge city - and there is LOTS of traffic. So, depending what you plan to do, and where you need to go, the location could be great or terrible. It was a 10-minute ride to Tien-an-men Square / Forbidden City, which compared to other parts of the city is short. It's a good hour or two to the Great Wall, depending on what part of the Wall you visit...but none of the Beijing hotels are close to the Wall, so worked for me. it's also within a short 5-minute walk to one a great walking streets - closed to car traffic - but lots of shops and things to look at. As an aside, if you do plan to visit Tienanmen Square and other tourist areas, i highly recommend hiring a guide. The hotel can recommend some, but may be less expensive to arrange in advance.

Overall - i enjoyed my stay. I will likely go back next time I'm in Beijing.

Room Tip: My room overlooked the pool/spa area - so while it provided a boring view, it was quiet and there wa...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank DallasPillowTalker
Beijing, China
Reviewed 1 September 2012

We stayed in the hotel during August 2012. The staff were friendly and helpful. The location is very good, walking distance to Wangfujing where you have an abundance choice of good restaurants (which included the famous Beijing Duck) and shopping. It was also very near to Tiananmen and the Forbidden City. The only down side was the breakfast. I was disappointed with the choices - being a 5 star hotel, they should have a better variety and the quality should have been better. Nevertheless, our overall experience was pleasant.

Mumbai

The Peninsula in Beijing is certainly not a 5 star hotel. Here are the issues:

1. The location is not as advertised. The average walk to the square is over 25 min (even as admitted by the conceirge).

2. The rooms are average and not modern. Even the curtains dont close full and you are forced to get light in the morning.

3. There are no cabs easily available and the doormen, though they try, are unable to get cabs. I waited for over 30 min each time I wanted a cab.

4. The room service was decent and was a saving grace for the hotel.

I would certainly not spend so much and stay here because there is nothing exceptional about this hotel.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
england
Reviewed 30 August 2012

The location is very good. In a city were there is so much traffic and chaos to be able to walk to a place is a big bonus. The Forbidden City and T. Square are within walking distance. The checking in was done quickly, and the staff speak good english which is a big help. The concierge is very helpful as well if you want to buy train tickets (they charge a small commission )
There is a tour operator outside the hotel on the right hand side. They can arrange private tours or group tours, and the lady was incredibly helpful as she gave us her computer to book a hotel.
The hotel lobby had an unpleasent smell coming from the newly built Chanel shop. Plenty of designer shops around, made it slightly tacky for a hotel of this standard. After all it is a five star and not a shopping mall. Rooms are fine if slightly withered, bathrooms are quite small with nice toilettries, a very old fashioned bathroom. The pool is beautiful with very comfortable chairs to relax after a long day, they bring you water and towels and it is a very relaxing place. Good choice of hotel.