“Wonderous Weekend Getaway”

Ranked #43 of 6,474 Hotels in Beijing
Beijing, China
“Wonderous Weekend Getaway”
Reviewed 19 November 2013

I had planned a staycation here for my husband's birthday and Shangri La turned it into a truly memorable weekend.
It's an old hotel, but the rooms in the Valley Wing are new, modern and simply superb! Despite being city people, we really loved the city view through the wall to wall glass on one entire side of the room. Comfort wise, there was nothing lacking - they have thought about every little detail to make a guest feel at home. The toiletry (very important!!) was classy - I need to go shopping for that brand/fragrance soon! Oh yes, a TV in the bathroom was nice too!

The 12th floor check-in was a breeze - they do know how to make guests feel special. A delicious cake brought to the room by a small group of beautiful ladies singing Happy Birthday - was a wonderful surprise!
The complimentary high tea, which is included in Premier rooms was top-notch gourmet standard. Each dish was remarkable - whether it was Japanese, French or Indian.
Guests in the Premier room can choose to have breakfast either on the 12th Floor of Valley Wing or at Cha cafe in the Old Wing. Stick to the 12th floor breakfast if you don't enjoy Asian breakfast. The breakfast choices in Cha Cafe were innumerable, but mainly catering to Asian taste. I must admit that the chefs went out of their way to prepare some special dishes for us when they realised that we didn't eat pork.
We had dinner at the famous S.T.A.Y French restaurant. Impeccable service and great food. The birthday boy was presented with a fabulous looking Mille Feuille cake, which tasted even more fabulous! Second cake of the day!! Talk about being pampered!!

The garden - you have to pinch yourself to believe that you are in the financial/tech hub of a city of 22 million people. If you don't have time to visit Beijing parks, don't fret. Simply spend some time here - after breakfast or dinner. Rockery, trees, waterfalls, Chinese pavilions ...it has it all! Saw guests jogging in the Chinese corridor that encircles the garden. And if you DO want to check out a local park, walk 10 minutes to Purple Bamboo Park! Great way to see locals engaged in traditional activities (see photos from our walk).

Can't thank the entire team of Shangri La enough for making this weekend so very special for us. We noticed that it was the combined effort of every individual that made such a difference - from the doorman, bellboy, lobby staff to the check-in staff - everyone in Valley Wing makes you feel you are someone of great importance to them. Hotel employees can be trained to be efficient, but the feeling I got from the staff is that they are genuinely eager to please and highly motivated to go the extra mile.

Without having left leaving Beijing - we returned home refreshed and rejuvenated, as if we'd just been on an exotic holiday :)

Room Tip: Valley Wing Premier Room!! Free delectables on the 12th floor is totally worth it! High floor city v...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (133)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 17 November 2013

We stayed in the Shangri-La Hotel Beijing for the first three nights of our 14-day visit to China. Our room was perfect for us -- very clean, attractively furnished, modern bathroom, comfortable bed and quiet. We enjoyed a terrific breakfast buffet in Cafe Cha -- a bright, airy room off the lobby with a view out to attractive gardens. The restaurant fare is designed to cater to North American, European and Asian tastes.

1 Thank Duncan G
Hamburg, Germany
Reviewed 16 November 2013

I was warned by my colleagues who travel frequently to Beijing that this is not the best choice and I must admit, they were right.
The location f the hotel is ok, in off-trafic times you need about 30 Min from or to the airport and 15 Min into the city centre (area of the forbidden City).
But: The hotel has passed its best times. The rooms are quite large, but the interior design is old-fashioned. I got a room with a bathtub, no extra shower cabin. The bed was good so I slept well, which is the most important, but not enough in a 5 star hotel. It just looked old and also not perfectly clean.
The breakfast was not included in the rate and was something like 2500 RNB. I simply did not test it, because spending so much money for just a short business breakfast is not worth it, no matter how large the buffet might be. Some hotel offer a simple "Continental breakfast" as a cheaper option, this one does not.
WiFi was free as usual in Asia, it worked, but was very slow, listening to music from the internet for example was impossible.
The Hotel has a bar, as usual, but the bar is for smokers so that most smokers sit outside for a drink, basically in the lobby - and this area is everything but nice
The staff was nice and friendly, everything worked well (check in, check out and the booking of a tour to the Great Wall).
One hint for Europeans: Most cash dispensers do not support the European "maestro" standard of your bank account, so you need to withdraw money with the credit card, which is usually more expensive. Approximately 300m on the right of the hotel you find a little supermarket which has a cash machine from "Huaxia Bank". This one does

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
ShangriLaBeijingMgmt, Area General Manager at Shangri-La Hotel Beijing, responded to this review, 22 November 2013
Dear Valued Guest
Thank you for choosing to stay with us and taking the time to share your comments about your recent stay.
I do regret that some of our services and facilities did not quite meet your expectations. At the same time I am glad that you found our staff to be friendly and competent. Perhaps if some of the disappointments encountered were brought to our attention during your stay we could have resolved it immediately as solutions or alternatives are readily available. Nevertheless, thank you invaluable input that will help us better anticipate some of the potential shortcomings from the guest perspective.
Once again, thank you for taking the time to share with us and helping us to be a better hotel.
Kindly contact me at christopher.chia@shangri-la.com if I can be our future assistance.

Best Regards

Christopher Chia
Area General Manager
New york
Reviewed 15 November 2013

First of all, the hotel has two buildings, one newer and the other look much older. We stayed here three nights with the travel agency and obviously we were placed in the older building. The rooms are just average at best and very outdated. But the staff were awesome and very caring. The breakfast was very very good. It is located outside second ring close to the zoo, therefore it's a little far from the main attractions. Overall it's an ok hotel but for the price that were listed I'll rather stay at regent hotel which is much nicer and centrally located. (We didn't pay for the hotel as it was a package from the travel agency)

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 13 November 2013

As others comment the location of the hotel is a bit awkward, although it is easy to catch cabs to and from the hotel. Just make sure you actually take the taxis from the hotel and that you get dropped off at the hotel door. The staff write down the taxi numbers and watch the drivers as you pay - I had a shonky experience with a driver swapping my money for counterfeit money when he 'inadvertently' drove past the driveway and pulled up down the street and then kept giving me back my money saying it was torn or there was another problem. The staff were incredibly helpful and called the taxi companies to trace the driver (but it turned out the taxi also had fake number plates). The staff were also terrific in arranging a rushed, personal tour to the Great Wall (I didn't have much time with my work trip), and in advancing me money from my credit card when the ATMs kept declining my card. For other travellers who have this problem, there is an ATM in the basement of the hotel which worked fine! The restaurant was lovely and had a good vegetarian selection which was a real bonus for me. The bed was very comfortable and overlooked the hotel garden. The room was a little tired - not really five star but I would say the service is seven!

1 Thank Live2travel_10
Rome, Italy
Reviewed 10 November 2013

hotel is old and service is poor related to Sangri-la standard. located in periferial area and not so close to any underground stations.no specific recomandation for spending night in the hotel. dinner quality poor and expensive

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with shangri-la.com

ShangriLaBeijingMgmt, Area General Manager at Shangri-La Hotel Beijing, responded to this review, 12 November 2013
Dear Valued Guest:

Thank you for sharing your experience during your recent stay with us. We regret that our hotel facilities and dining experience did not live up to your expectation. I would like to further discuss the matter with you, kindly contact me at christopher.chia@shangri-la.com.

Thank you.

Christopher Chia
Area General Manager
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 November 2013

Things have sharpened up for the better since my last visit and I was grateful to all the staff for their attentive service. Room cleaning seems to be high standard and bathroom smells abated. Room service was fast and effective. I like staying here as the hotel is spacious and good swimming pool....and for me its in exactly the right part of the city. Congratulations to the staff for a nice visit.

Room Tip: For business and meetings the Valley Wing rooms are good providing access to Horizon Club . I prefe...