“Great Personal Touch”

Shangri-La Hotel, Beijing
Ranked #18 of 6,550 Hotels in Beijing
Reviewed 20 December 2013

This hotel has been around for many years, especially the old one. They have built a new one besides the old one. The old one has been remodeled few years back, however, the in room air conditioner can not really control the temperature as it is central controlled.

Despite the hardware is not as fancy as new hotels, I enjoy to stay every time I travel to Beijing due to personal touch. The working staffs especially at dinning places do provide great service which we normally do not feel while staying at other hotel.The staffs are very polite and can recognize customers by name, what a great feeling of personal touch !

Room Tip: New building has more modern design, but cost more !
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank DavidYangHIT

Reviewed 19 December 2013

Took a weekend trip from Shanghai to Beijing. Two Americans out of place in a new town. It was easy with the help of the front desk and attentive staff. Rooms were clean, spacious, the bed is a little firm for me but that seems the norm in China. We arrived really late and were hungry so we went to the restaurant, I had a great Ham & Cheese sandwich. The breakfast had just about everything one could want. The hotel was on the west side of town which led to long taxi rides but worth it to me. I highly recommend.

Room Tip: The gardens out back are worth the view
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank wagsplace
Reviewed 19 December 2013

I always love Shangri-La Hotel, and try to stay there when I travel. The one in Shanghai is actually much better than Beijing in terms of location and break fast. However, the service is still very high standard.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 13 December 2013

I am not sure if this could be because of my specific needs to travel around the city, but I thought that the location of this hotel was terrible for someone who travels there on business. This is simply too far from the city's CBD, making commuting a nightmare (understatement)! This is also the reason why I have given a low rating for the value. I believe that the price should be lower in order to compensate for the long hours one has to spend in a taxi if you need to go anywhere. Having said that, like all Shangri La hotels, this was an above average experience. Great room, good service, good food and clean-clean-clean!

Room Tip: Beware of where you will need to go to in the city. This is far away from most business related dist...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 13 December 2013

Service is as usual shangrila standard but disappointed with 2 issues:
1) breakfast spread is boring I think one of the worst in comparisons vs the other shangrilas. I think changchun offers better breakfast varieties than beijing not sure why but clearly deteriorated vs my last stay. Just image having same breakfast for 4 days!!!
2) bathroom basin was kind of "choke" water discharged so slowly and was wondering why housekeeping staff doesn't notice or just ignore it if there is no compliant?

I have 2 dinners at shang palace, service staff not very attentive ie we have to refill our tea most of the time. Not sure why no courtesy fruit serving as I always got this complimentary from the other shang palace. They should transfer "best practices" from chengdu or harbin....shang palace staff there just fabulous!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank ru2bz4me
ShangriLaBeijingMgmt, Area General Manager at Shangri-La Hotel, Beijing, responded to this reviewResponded 18 December 2013

Dear Valued Guest: thank you for sharing the experience about your recent stay with us. Your comments about breakfast variety is really timely as we were in the process of reviewing and changing our buffet rotations.
We regret that the service at Shang Palace was not as attentive as it normally should be and this has been discussed with our team.
The drainage has been cleared and much improved.

Thank you for acknowledging our 'good service as usual' and at the same time pointing out specific shortcomings so that we may effectively address them.
We appreciate your loyalty and support and also in helping us be a better hotel. We look forward to you next visit with us. In the meantime, we wish you and your loved ones a Blessed Christmas and a Prosperous 2014.

Thank you.

Christopher Chia
Area General Manager

Reviewed 5 December 2013

in general, Beijing shangri-la hotel provided me excellent services during my stay, although the room facility is a little old in comparison with other new 5 star hotel, the special services makes me still feel very good.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with shangri-la.com
Reviewed 3 December 2013

This is an excellent hotel with good value for money. Great rooms, clean, very good service. Unfortunately , not in the best location, even though not far e.g. from Tian'amen square and from the airport.

Room Tip: Excellent rooms
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business