“Great location, great service”

Shangri-La's China World Hotel
Ranked #20 of 6,528 Hotels in Beijing
Reviewed 19 September 2012

Service is great but be patient as not everyone here speaks good English. Rooms are spacious & comfortable, although a little old. Best thing that this hotel has for it is the location. The subway station is situated below the hotel and very accessible. Tiananmen Square & the Forbidden City are just 4 subway stops away. The Silk Market, which sells everything from Souvenirs, ladies & men's wear and knock-off designer bags, is just a 10-minute walk away. Wifi is free in rooms. But don't book your transportation or transfers through the hotel. Way too expensive! Otherwise this hotel is highly recommended.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
There are newer reviews for Shangri-La's China World Hotel

Reviewed 19 September 2012

Absolutely magnificant! I really can't praise China World Hotel enough. Stayed for three nights on business in Horizen Club room. While the rooms themselves are fairly standard (for an up mrket 5 star) the hotel appointments themselves, location and (most especially) the level of service were as good as any I have experienced around the world. I booked a limo for my arrival at Beijing airport and was greeted almost at the door of the plane by CWH's 'airport butler' - a lovely young lady who expedited my transition through customs and baggage claim. I was then handed over to my driver who spoke excellent English (NB - there is WiFi in the limo - a pleasant surprise) and then greeted personally on arrival by the Horizen Club representative who showed me to my room and checked me in, bypassing reception. My recommendation would definitely be to use such a limo transfer if you are arriving by plane - @ RMB690 it was well worth while and probably halved (at least) my transfer / check in duration. I'd also highly recommend using the Horizen Club option,, particularly if travelling for business. It just made life that little bit easier (private check in / check out, breakfast lounge, quiet meeting rooms, etc).

Once again, I really can't praise the level of service enough. All the staff I encountered were polite, friendly, helpful and usually spoke excellent English as well. I will be back.

Room Tip: If travelling for business pay the little bit extra and go for the Horizen Club option.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 15 September 2012

The hotel is in the Central Business District which is very practical, rooms are styled a bit old fashioned for my taste, but very clean and quiet. You also get a. good view from the upper floors (above 10th). I have already been there more than 10 times and like to come back. Wifi is free of charge. When you book, always include breakfast: it is very good and you avoid the hassle with the waitresses who often do not speak very well english. Services. are generally very good and forthcoming, only the check-out this time was a nightmare as the reception had difficulties dealing with a credit card whic has a Pin Code. Also the lady at the reception did not speak very well english, therefore I had problems with the transfer to the airport which at RMB 690 is rather pricey (a taxi cost you RMB 85). If it had not been for the head concierge Jon who was extremely helpful I would have given a lower rating.

Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 10 September 2012

the hotel is close to a mall, centrally located and walking distance from silk market. The rooms are nice, clean and the service is good. The tour to great wall, forbidden city, T' Square etc. was very nice. At USD 100 I got value for money. The guide was very knowledgeable.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 31 August 2012

Walking into the Shangri La China World Hotel, you are greeted by an amazingly lavish lobby, however this lavishness doesn't follow through to the rooms.

Don't get me wrong... the rooms are nice, they are big and they are comfortable. However they have seen better days and they are in need of a freshen up. The bathroom is a good size.

Breakfast is great - as usual and they once again offer something for everyone. The gym is well equipped and doesn't get too busy and neither does the pool - which is an indoor lap pool.

In typical Shangri La style, the staff, for the most part, are professional, friendly and willing to help to ensure you have a wonderful stay. However, it would be useful to train those staff members that may not be as fluent in english as others, to ask the guest to wait while he or she goes to get someone who speaks better english. The reason I say this, is because I had approached the Reception desk to advise them that I would be checking out a day early and to please amend the reservation because I had a car booked to take me to the airport. The young lady at the desk was lovely... but she looked at me blankly, so I repeated myself. She then asked if I was checking out then... but I said no and clarified it. Long story short... we eventually seemed to be on the same page. I also went to Concierge to confirm a time for my car and confirmed the date. On my departure day when I asked about the car, I was told that it was booked for the next day because I am checking out early! Thankfully... Concierge acted quickly and managed to get me a car with only a 15 minute delay, but if there wasn't a car handy then I would have been in trouble. This sort of thing really shouldn't happen at a 5-star hotel.

So my rating for the China World is "Average" - I think there are better hotels in Beijing, but I have a soft spot for the Shangri La brand. If there was a rating of "Good" rather than "Very Good" then I would have chosen that.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Richard B
Reviewed 8 August 2012

I have been here two times, I had a good memory on this hotel. The food was very different to what I'm used to, very tasty though.i highly recommend this hotel to any guest who love to book hotels in China. If I have the chance to come to China,I must have to be here.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank sunny l
Reviewed 4 August 2012

i have been to this hotel several times and thought of putting a comment. very good hotel and lovely staff. good service. nice old rooms. foods are very tasty and service is very quick. i highly recommend this hotel to any guest who love to book hotels in China..

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple