Bamboo Garden Hotel
US$101
  • Breakfast included
US$225
  • Pool
All reviewshutong hotelauthentic experiencethree starchinaenglishnightlifedistrictcommunication
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 29 April 2014

Don't be concerned about the dodgy looking little street it's down... when you turn in you will have a lovely surprise. We were originally going to stay in the Sheraton but asked for something with more of a local flavour and this didn't disappoint. A beautiful hotel built around an old fashioned courtyard garden.
The local area is actually quite safe and a short walk towards the tower and round the corner will take you to Tobacco Pipe which is a lovely parade of small shops which leads down to the lake where there are quaint small bars and great restaurants. This is the Hutong area (think I've spelled that correctly) which is the historic part of town so there are lots of old fashioned courtyards and no high-rises to be seen. (okay the smog did help obscure the ones on the horizon!).
A highly recommend hotel for someone wanting something with a little more character than the global chains offer.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 April 2014

I selected this hotel based on reviews in Trip advisor. This hotel is very near to Metro station in Beijing and I must say that usage of subway in Beijing is very cheap and convenient. Room size was OK for us. Cleanliness was good too. Only we had problem about WiFi , because connection to their network is based on ID number of passport , so every person can have only one connection. I could connect my iPhone to WiFi but I couldn't connect my iPad. It was very strange that even after disconnection of my iPhone I couldn't connect my iPad. I think that they must resolve this problem. I think that their price is a little high, but you can have a good experience in a Chineese style hotel,

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Ali T
Reviewed 13 March 2014

A very beautiful hotel. A little concerned when the taxi went down a very dodgy looking alley but when he turned into the courtyard, WOW. it is beautiful. The staff are very helpful. The room we had was large and clean. The gardens a delight to walk in. The restaurant is part over a fish pond and has a glass floor so you can watch the fish swimming below. The alley even though it looks dodgy was fine to walk down and we felt very safe. The room was well appointed. Computer and TV. very comfortable. See the pictures. We went in 2010

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Steve1953186299
Reviewed 17 February 2014

I was blown away when I saw the rooms--very large and comfortable and beautiful decor. Off of the bedroom there was a little seating area by a large window, from which we had great views of the magpies and other birds eating ripe persimmons from the tree in the courtyard. They provided tea and bottled water, so it was very pleasant to sit by the window and sip the tea. There was a little cafe on the first floor with excellent coffee and reasonably priced beer. We'd heard the restaurant was expensive and not great, so we never tried it but there is lots of inexpensive local food available just on the main street. I had only two complaints and they were minor. (1) The first time we stayed there (we stayed for 2-3 nights at the beginning and again at the end of a 2 week trip in December-January) one of the staff members was smoking downstairs and the smell was noticeable in our second floor room. (2) The narrow alleyways of the hutong district are charming, but as well as dodging motorbikes, we had to be careful to dodge dog poop! Watch out walking back to the hotel especially after dark! Overall, though this was a lovely hotel with lots to see and do within walking distance. The staff was pleasant and helpful. I would love to stay here again.

Room Tip: No elevators, and they only have kingsized beds in first floor rooms.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
5  Thank Chaos_Rabbit
Reviewed 12 December 2013

Stayed 2 nights. Wonderful location but the staff and amenities were underwhelming. Rooms were of a good size and décor was truly "local" but comfort was not a primary concern in the décor. Breakfast costs extra and is also a bit underwhelming.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple